Thread: GTR - Nerotrend? (unreleased 2nd album)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

GTR - Nerotrend? (unreleased 2nd album)

I just found a torrent of a supposed "unreleased 2nd album" by GTR called "Nerotrend." Unless that was the title of the bootleg release this seems to be. I've never heard of it, although if there's anything genuine about it, I'm sure our resident Yexsperts know all about this...

Alleged track listing:

Tracks:
    01 - Young Hearts
    02 - These Eyes
    03 - Loneliness
    04 - Young Blood
    05 - You Can't Do That
    06 - Endless Nights
    07 - Young Hearts
    08 - Hungry Warrior
    09 - Away
    10 - Sharp On Attack
    11 - Listen To The People
    12 - Running The Human Race
    13 - This World's Big Enough

Looks scintillating. CTTOI, maybe some of these tracks are bonuses on the GTR reissue.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Here's an "unofficial" review.

Nerotrend is an unreleased second album by GTR, a band led by two lead guitarists Steve Hackett and Steve Howe. Despite of their progressive rock background, the music of GTR has nothing to do with progressive rock, since it's pure AOR.

There are six songs sung by Robert Berry, one instrumental track and six songs sung by Max Bacon, who was alone responsible for the lead vocals on the debut album.

I am not too sad, that this album was never released, because it is not exactly a masterpiece. At times the songwriting is so bad, that it causes a feeling of shame (check the song "You Can't Do That", for example). However, most of the songs are listenable or goodish even - if you are a fan of AOR and not only progrock, that is.

Since this album was never officially released and/or properly mastered, the sound production is quite horrible, but if you are a big fan of any of the aforementioned gentlemen, your collection is not complete without Nerotrend.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I bought Nerotrend about 20 years ago. Was excited but it's nothing special. Haven't played it in years.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Sharp On Attack later turned up on a guitarist compilation album that featured Steve Howe (credited as a solo track though).
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

I downloaded it from Sugarmegs some time ago.. very forgettable..

I love these songs and I think most of them are actually demos for Robert Berry’s solo albums at the time .

Years ago I bought an album called Pilgrimage to a Point by Robert Berry that was framed as the 'second GTR album that never happened'. It was similar in style to the GTR album but a bit more proggy. I no longer have it but I remember there was a lot of guitar playing on there that sounded just like Howe although he wasn't credited. The mystery around this has never been properly explained.
    Last edited by Steve983; 11-20-2021 at 04:29 AM.

I can't even imagine how bad this is if this is worse than the debut...
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 11-20-2021 at 08:25 AM.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/

I've been waiting 35 years for this. It's like I was lost and now I've been found.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Pretty sure Hackett was not involved on these songs.

Berry talked about this time in an interview with Innerviews a few years back. This is an excerpt:

"I put a bunch of songs and music together for GTR with Steve, including “Young Hearts” and “Talkin’ Bout” which would later be a major hit for 3. Because of what I do in my own studio for so many musicians, I can pick up on people’s styles really quickly. Steve was enthusiastic, so we went to the farm studio in the Devon countryside where Yes had recorded previously. When we finally got together with the band, there was Phil Spalding on bass, Max Bacon on vocals and Nigel Glockler on drums. Phil and Max had just spent a couple of years being pushed around by Steve Howe and Steve Hackett and decided they were going to be really hard on me. Phil kept telling me to get the time changes together. Max was upset that my deal with Brian Lane stated I would get to sing one lead vocal on the GTR album we were working on as a prelude to my pending solo career Geffen was grooming me for.

The truth is Max didn’t want me singing on anything—not even one song. Even when I sang a harmony, he would come up to the microphone and double it so my own sound wouldn’t come through. I don’t know if he felt threatened. Everyone seemed okay to have my songwriting on the album, but they didn’t want my voice on it. I did an awful lot with Steve for these sessions but felt I wasn’t being allowed to do what I needed to do. I don’t know why Steve was letting it happen. So, after we did the demos, I decided they didn’t really need me. I thought "They have my songs. I’ll leave and they can just use them if they want." I wrote Steve a nice letter saying exactly that. I mailed it to him the day before I told Brian Lane I was leaving. He was really upset because he thought he could salvage things. Ultimately, GTR failed when they were left to their own devices. They renamed it Nerotrend for a while, but nothing ever came out other than session bootlegs. And by the way, those bootlegs actually contain many Robert Berry Band recordings, not just exclusively GTR stuff."

"Listen to the People" and "Young Hearts" ended up on Berry's album The Dividing Line, which is a pretty solid album if you're not AOR-allergic.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "I put a bunch of songs and music together for GTR with Steve, including “Young Hearts” and “Talkin’ Bout” which would later be a major hit for 3."

It was?
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It was?
    As in, "it was the only one that got radio play of any kind."

3's ...To the Power of Three makes Emerson, Lake & Powell's s/t (an album I do like a lot) sound like Trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "I put a bunch of songs and music together for GTR with Steve, including “Young Hearts” and “Talkin’ Bout” which would later be a major hit for 3."

It was?
    It was a top 10 hit on the Billboard Rock charts back then. Pretty regular rotation on MTV as well.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    3's ...To the Power of Three makes Emerson, Lake & Powell's s/t (an album I do like a lot) sound like Trilogy.
    [emoji1]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

The interesting development in this material in recent years was the release of Steve Howe's Anthology 2: Groups & Collaborations: see http://relayer35.com/Yescography/Anthology2.htm This is a great set, full of unreleased material and alternate edits/mixes (e.g., a full band version of Asia doing "Masquerade" before it ever appeared on Yes's Union; 2 radically different versions of songs from Union).

The last 12 tracks are all unreleased pieces, about half Howe with Keith West, and then there's 5 tracks labelled as by "Steve Howe & Max Bacon". These are GTR2 tracks with Howe, Max Bacon and Phil Spalding, but with additional recordings done with Bacon and Spalding around late 2004.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Running The Human Race is on this?? The incredible instrumental from Steve Howe's Turbulence? Weird. I'm sure vocals would ruin it.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Running The Human Race is on this?? The incredible instrumental from Steve Howe's Turbulence? Weird. I'm sure vocals would ruin it.
    IIRC, he wrote it with vocals before turning it into an instrumental for Turbulence.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Funny, I thought the opposite when I first heard it - my first thought was it would make a great Yes tune.