Thread: Marillion - Be Hard on Yourself (parts 1-3)

Marillion - Be Hard on Yourself (parts 1-3)

New Marillion is always a treat and I'm digging the new tracks on Spotify as the "single" dropped. If this is any indication of what the rest of the album has in store, I'm going to enjoy it.

Anyone else give it a listen?
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    New Marillion is always a treat and I'm digging the new tracks on Spotify as the "single" dropped. If this is any indication of what the rest of the album has in store, I'm going to enjoy it.

Anyone else give it a listen?
    I did, a couple of times, although I don't want to listen to it too much out of context. I think it sounds like FEAR with a bit more punch which is not a bad thing. It doesn't seem to have any solo, which I think is a shame but I probably need to listen to it more.

is it anywhere other than Spotify? don't do Spotify.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    is it anywhere other than Spotify? don't do Spotify.
    I would guess all the streaming services, potentially including YouTube.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

I like it a lot.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    It doesn't seem to have any solo, which I think is a shame but I probably need to listen to it more.
    I listened to it a number of times over the past couple of weeks (people who preordered got a download of the song early), and I still feel this way about it. It's good, and it probably doesn't NEED a solo, but a nine-minute Marillion song with no solo feels a bit weird. But, like Lorne, I don't want to listen to it much more until the album is out, and I'm sure it will fit fine in context.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But, like Lorne, I don't want to listen to it much more until the album is out, and I'm sure it will fit fine in context.
    I never said that. I'm all for listening to this a bunch in anticipation of the album, I'm enjoying it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I never said that. I'm all for listening to this a bunch in anticipation of the album, I'm enjoying it.
    sorry, it was LeFrog, who I was replying to. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    sorry, it was LeFrog, who I was replying to. Doh!
    Yes that was me. I agree with you, it may not need a solo but it's a bit long not to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Yes that was me. I agree with you, it may not need a solo but it's a bit long not to have one.
    There is a solo around the 3,30 min mark but not the one you'd expect or like to hear i gues

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's like a good old friend has returned to share something special. Love the vocals and the band sounds great!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticfuneral View Post
    There is a solo around the 3,30 min mark but not the one you'd expect or like to hear i gues
    I didn't notice it, I only listened twice.

I got some Happiness is the Road-vibes and also some FEAR-ones. Great stuff... Preordered

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticfuneral View Post
    Um, yeah... that's a solo. It lasts at least 25 seconds, I don't know how anyone missed it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Hmm... okay, my decision to sit out Marillion after Marbles may have ended with this. It's wormed its way into my mind.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Hmm... okay, my decision to sit out Marillion after Marbles may have ended with this. It's wormed its way into my mind.
    Wow, I get that the more mellow post-Marbles Marillion may not be your thing but I hope you still checked out the albums because you may have missed out on a few tracks that would have appealed to you.

Liking it so far and I like the the whole idea of being 'hard on oneself' re self-improvement, if I get the lyrical gist correctly. Musically, the start very much brings to mind Floyd as do other atmospheric sections a little.

The eons are closing
    I have sat out since Marbles too (guilty of buying two beyond out of loyalty, hated Marbles, dont know why i purchased.....see other thread).

So now I'm curious tho....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I have sat out since Marbles too (guilty of buying two beyond out of loyalty, hated Marbles, dont know why i purchased.....see other thread).

So now I'm curious tho....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Have you met the guy who hates Brave? Just kidding - as long as you give the next album a try!

Um, yeah... that's a solo. It lasts at least 25 seconds, I don't know how anyone missed it.
    I'd call it more noodling than a solo per say... But it's exactly what the song called for...

This one is really growing on me and today it finally clicked and in a major way! Can't wait for the new album!

Yeah, can't wait for that. Shouldn't be too long now...