Thread: FEATURED CD - Gonin-Ish: Naishikyo-Sekai

FEATURED CD - Gonin-Ish: Naishikyo-Sekai

Per SoT:

Gonin-ish describes themselves as Progressive Death Metal - but although it has tons of extreme metal elements, there is no death metal here at all. It's eccentric, it's avant garde, and it's not going to fit into any of the standard categories - except that it's "progressive" in every sense of that word.

Severely quirky Naishikyo-Sekai is theatrical along the lines of an unexpecT or a Stolen Babies - yet you sometimes get the impression they do it just for the sake of being theatrical. This is particularly true in expressive female vocals that run from pleasing clean singing through distraught, shrieking cries. that evoke images a she-devil in labor. It works remarkably well and will appeal to fans of MIO (metal in opposition), though the less adventurous listener would be excused for hating it.

The closing 20-or-so minute track can't decide if it wants to be metal, acoustic, fusion, or hard rock. You'll hear unconventional vocals and jazzy, piano, over heavy power chords and ballsy riffs, and drum and bass lines that will leave you breathless. Yet the well-placed tempo shifts into elegant acoustic sections provide welcome relief and keep the listener captivated.

Despite the often chaotic sections, the frenzied vocals and the restless song structures, the instrumentals are complex and the performances are very polished. Song writing is daring and diverse, and the six songs spread over 55 minutes have enough variety to keep you reaching for the replay button.

Well-recommended for the adventurous listener.
    See two reviews here : http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=7967

Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Never heard of this before Duncan, really nice stuff, thanks!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Me likey. Thanks Duncan

I'm not to much into metal, but I liked what I heard.

Just ordered it from Laser Edge. I had never heard of this band, but I liked the sample above!

I heard this quite a while ago on YT. I was very impressed.

I had trouble finding their stuff for a long time, so I put them on the back burner. I even remember asking Ken Golden if he could carry them. I had no idea that he had them now.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Had this for a while, excellent recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by darkblue View Post
    Had this for a while, excellent recommendation.
    Seems to me you did recommend it:

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Regards,

Duncan