Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Genesis Documentary - The Story of A Trick of the Tail

New Genesis Documentary - The Story of A Trick of the Tail

Hot off the press, a 20-minute feature about the making of A Trick of the Tail.
    I've tried to dig out as many little-known facts about the album as I could.
    It also includes some re-creations' of how the singer auditions could have sounded.
    I would have loved to do more animations etc with the Colin Elgie graphics.
    Hope you guys like it:

When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com

Thanks very much for posting that - great work. This album was my introduction to Genesis and it remains my all time favourite of theirs.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

TESTING TESTING

Very nice documentary, thank you for your efforts in creating it and posting it. The idea of putting other vocalists over Genesis songs was interesting but ultimately I don't think it came out very well. They sounded wrong for the part but its hard to know if thats because they wouldn't have worked out singing the Genesis songs or because the songs you selected over the Genesis songs just sounded out of place. Other than that though, this was a really well produced and interesting doc.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    It also includes some re-creations' of how the singer auditions could have sounded.
    Hope you guys like it:

Very well done.. thanks for posting. Agree with others that in hindsight I cannot imagine any other vocalist singing that material other than Collins.

Wonderful work you've done here, this was really enjoyable, as well as fun to watch.
    Trick is one of my favorite Genesis post Gabriel albums, and after decades of listening to Phil, it's hard to imagine anyone but his vocals singing these songs.
    The album has a magical feel to it, and it's amazing it's so good, considering the followup to The Lamb and also Peter's departure.

Again, great job on putting this together, and thanks for sharing it.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Just saw that on YouTube this morning and will watch it tonight after work. Thanks for posting!!! Can't wait to dive into one of my favorite albums.
    Prog's Not Dead

That's beautifully done, man. Seriously impressive work! I will share this around.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Really enjoyed that. You have a great voice for narration.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

One of my fave G albums - thanks.

Nicely done. I never heard this album until I was in college in the 1980s. I had an older roommate and he was a fan from the old days. His interest in prog was rekindled when he met me, and he went out one day and bought this on vinyl. I remember listening to it with him and thinking "Fuck me, this is good." Later, I listened to it again on headphones, laying on the floor. When it was done I thought "Yup. That's a perfect album."
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

This and Foxtrot are the best Genesis albums in my opinion , though Trespass is my personal favorite.

Loved the other Hypgnosis artwork attempts. they should've been included in reissues.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Really enjoyed that. You have a great voice for narration.
    Yup, this is the genesis of a revelation
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    Thanks very much for posting that - great work. This album was my introduction to Genesis and it remains my all time favourite of theirs.
    Not my Genesis intro, that would be And Then There Were Three, but ATOTT also is my favorite studio album of Genesis.

Rael74, great job with this video! There is plenty if info here that I haven't heard before.
    Last edited by Tangram; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:40 PM.

That was really rather excellent, I learned a lot about an album I thought I knew inside and out. Keep us posted if you make any more, I’ll be keen to view.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Hope you guys like it:

Thanks!
    Once I started to see it, I couldn't stop: it has those details that I love and more!.

Good job good Sir!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Absolutely excellent hope you will go on and do some more.

I thought you'd (rael74) like to know that this is going down like gangbusters on the FB and reddit pages I shared it on. Every single comment is positive - now that's a rarity!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Thanks for all of these positive comments guys.
    I am quite proud of it and, in time, will do another.
    As I was painstakingly tidying up the Colin Elgie drawings, I was thinking to myself ~ “Why the hell didn’t the band itself go to this effort when they made the boxset DVD videos? Imagine the amount of old demos, unreleased photos, info etc that they are sat on!
    It is an honour to keep the ‘prog flame’ burning.
    When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com

It's no good.......I'll just have to stick it on now.....

This is fantastic. I thought I'd known everything about Genesis, but most of the content of this mini-doc was new to me. I hope you make more!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Nice work!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    This is fantastic. I thought I'd known everything about Genesis, but most of the content of this mini-doc was new to me. I hope you make more!
    Same here, and I was wondering where he got those vocal tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Same here, and I was wondering where he got those vocal tracks.
    Was wondering the same thing. After listening to them, I'm certainly glad they went with Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Was wondering the same thing. After listening to them, I'm certainly glad they went with Phil.
    Me too, but Clarke was very interesting.