Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Genesis Documentary - The Story of A Trick of the Tail

In Hackett’s autobiography, he said Mick Jagger was dragged to a Trick of a Tail concert in London, and after said “this band will be one of the biggest in the world in five years.” He was pretty much correct.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Hot off the press, a 20-minute feature about the making of A Trick of the Tail.
    I've tried to dig out as many little-known facts about the album as I could.
    It also includes some re-creations' of how the singer auditions could have sounded.
    I would have loved to do more animations etc with the Colin Elgie graphics.
    Hope you guys like it:

Just saw this last night and it's very, very good. A Trick of The Tail is one of my favorite Genesis albums and I enjoyed the little knows facts about the making of the LP in this video. Hope you'll consider doing more features about the other LPs in the Genesis catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    In Hackett’s autobiography, he said Mick Jagger was dragged to a Trick of a Tail concert in London, and after said “this band will be one of the biggest in the world in five years.” He was pretty much correct.
    Steve: "Huh. Well, I certainly can't have that, I'd better blow this taco stand."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Very nicely done, would love to see Wind and Wuthering get the same treatment.
    The clip looks very professional and your voice is as good as any BBC narrator

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    This and Foxtrot are the best Genesis albums in my opinion , though Trespass is my personal favorite.
    Put me down for SEBTP and TOTT, one Peter led and one Phil.

Thanks for creating and sharing this wonderful story on one of my favorite Genesis-albums (which was Wind And Wuthering for a long time, although I must admit I've played Duke a lot more the last couple of years).

Here's a nice little side piece about opening night on the Trick tour, I found it a good read:

https://nationalpost.com/entertainme...ame-a-frontman
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

The sample singers were all interesting, and quite impressive from an editing standpoint! It does seem like there's some unique flavor Phil brought that kept it sounding like Genesis where someone else would have watered down the distinctiveness of what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    The sample singers were all interesting, and quite impressive from an editing standpoint! It does seem like there's some unique flavor Phil brought that kept it sounding like Genesis where someone else would have watered down the distinctiveness of what they did.
    They were in a tricky spot at that point.. finding someone to sing the new material as well as do a good job on the material that Peter sang on.. fast forward to Calling all stations.. I thought Ray's voice was spot on with the Gabriel era.

Maybe I was just a clueless teenager when Trick came out, but I did not even notice the change in who was doing the lead vocals until I read the album credits. And I had been listening to Lamb, SEBTP, Foxtrot, Trepass constantly before Trick came out. 😶

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, over 17,000 views! I watched this last night and really enjoyed it! All very interesting, and it was nice to see some of Colin Elgie's other artwork and the alternate cover mock-ups (which I assume are YOUR mock-ups?).

Agreed your narration is very good - you don't sound at all like what I imagined from your avatar!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

^ Do you sound like Dr. Zaius with a New York accent?
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Do you sound like Dr. Zaius with a New York accent?
    I'm just hoping you don't sound like your avatar.

Or maybe I do, it's kind of a coin toss.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm just hoping you don't sound like your avatar.

Or maybe I do, it's kind of a coin toss.
    My avatar has a one word vocabulary. However, it's the only word that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, over 17,000 views! I watched this last night and really enjoyed it! All very interesting, and it was nice to see some of Colin Elgie's other artwork and the alternate cover mock-ups (which I assume are YOUR mock-ups?).

Agreed your narration is very good - you don't sound at all like what I imagined from your avatar!
    Over 30,000 now, and yes, those are my mock covers.
    People seem to love it. I'm really pleased with it.
    Planning 'The Lamb' as we speak.
    Yes, that's how I sound. I'm out of the closet now.
    The profile pic is how I look at weekends...
    When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Over 30,000 now, and yes, those are my mock covers.
    People seem to love it. I'm really pleased with it.
    Planning 'The Lamb' as we speak.
    Yes, that's how I sound. I'm out of the closet now.
    The profile pic is how I look at weekends...
    Yeah, cigarettes 'll do that to ya......

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Steve: "Huh. Well, I certainly can't have that, I'd better blow this taco stand."
    Which taco stand did this happen at? I have to visit it, it's historical!

Thank you for this video. I can't imagine how much thought and effort went into the mixing and matching and editing of those other singers into these songs. Well done! I don't think I've seen this done before. I wonder what other albums would deserve this treatment?