Thread: FEATURED CD : Pink Floyd : Meddle

FEATURED CD : Pink Floyd : Meddle

Credit for this featured CD : markduff

Based on a CD received from the collection bequeathed to Progressive Ears by the late Chris Buckley (Winkersnuff)

markduff's comments:

I'll start off with saying that I am a huge Pink Floyd fan. But not of this release.

The album opens up with "One Of These Days". It starts well but doesn't seem to go anywhere IMHO. The next three songs go by and then "Seamus". All I hear is the dog barking along with the song. "Echoes" ends the disk. It has bits and pieces of things going on that remind me of songs on Wish You Were Here and Dark Side but it really fails to hold my interest for over 23 minutes.

Overall it is one on my least favorite Pink Floyd releases.
    Regards,

Duncan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    One of my favourite Floyd albums. Every second of Echoes is brilliant.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

A subtle, dreamlike album, whose power has only grown over the years. One to get lost in.

Never hoid of it.

But seriously. It's funny how this album is simultaneously not well known enough but also super well known, if that makes any sense. One of my enduring teen memories is a bunch of us rumbling along in a friend's VW Vanagon with this playing on the 8-track. It was late at night, out somewhere remote (as remote as SoCal can get, anyways) and it just sounded fucking perfect.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The only PF album I own.

The first great post Syd album. One of my favourites of theirs.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

I was a big Floyd fan in their early days and bought it as soon as it came out. It was a pleasant record that I played on summer days but it didn't draw me in -it wasn't very complex, just pleasant background music. But I tired of it and only recently listened to it again after a gap of nearly 50 years and it hasn't improved. Very simple ideas padded out to fill an album.

Absolutely loved ‘Echoes’ the first time I heard it. Went out and bought the album the next day. Strangely wasn’t a fan of ‘One of These Days’ when it came out. It took a few years and now it’s a fav of mine. A little too loud for me back then. My kids are finally getting into PF, and one likes ‘Echoes’ and the other likes OOTD! I prefer ‘San Tropez’ and ‘Seamus’ to ‘Pillow of Winds’ and ‘Fearless’. For me it’s like Atom Heart Mother, flashes of greatness and some ok or even forgettable tracks. Pink Floyd was making progress.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Not a very big Floyd fan, but this one is one of my favorites. I have the Gold Disc which sounds perfect!
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I did not really discover Pink Floyd until when The Wall came out in 79. I eventually went back and purchased their entire back catalogue and this album is for me, where the post Syd era of the band really hit their stride. Echoes ranks right up with the best prog epics of all time for my (by any band) and the rest of the album are all solid shorter songs. I will never forget Gilmour & Wright performing Echoes on one of David's solo tours in Chicago and for me is a concert highlight of all the live shows I have attended over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I did not really discover Pink Floyd until when The Wall came out in 79. I eventually went back and purchased their entire back catalogue and this album is for me, where the post Syd era of the band really hit their stride. Echoes ranks right up with the best prog epics of all time for my (by any band) and the rest of the album are all solid shorter songs. I will never forget Gilmour & Wright performing Echoes on one of David's solo tours in Chicago and for me is a concert highlight of all the live shows I have attended over the years.
    I saw that tour at Massey Hall in T.O. - was spellbinding.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

A great album for 67%, the rest (the second half of the A-side)is forgettable

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw that tour at Massey Hall in T.O. - was spellbinding.
    Unless Gilmour came at Massey hall in the 90's (not aware of it in that case), the show I saw there was held in 84 with Mick Ralphs and promoting the About Face album.

AFAIK, Wright was nowhere to be seen on that tour
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

One of the first albums I got (I was 16) and also one of my favorite PF's. I think Echoes is the climax, especially the last episodes, although I think the psychedelic middle-piece is a bit too long, therefore I prefer the edited version on the compilation Echoes.

One of These Days and Fearless are quite good. Pillow of Winds is tolerable. The less said about Seamus and San Tropez the better. Echoes is a towering work and sets the tone for everything that followed.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great album, I like all of it, Echoes is among their greatest tracks, top 5 Floyd.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    A great album for 67%, the rest (the second half of the A-side)is forgettable

Unless Gilmour came at Massey hall in the 90's (not aware of it in that case), the show I saw there was held in 84 with Mick Ralphs and promoting the About Face album.

AFAIK, Wright was nowhere to be seen on that tour
    It was the On An Island tour, around 2003 (can't recall exactly), with Richard Wright, Phil Manzanera, and Gilmour (and band). I had front row seats in the balcony and will never forget Echoes.

I remember hearing "One of These Days" a lot on the radio when this came out. Weird choice for radio play. For decades, I thought the lyrics were "One of these days, I'm going to dance with the king and queen". I already had "Ummagumma" and "Atom Heart Mother", and bought the album right away. "Echoes" got some light-night radio play as well, and I heard "Fearless" and "Pillow of Winds" played a few times. I've always held this album in high regard, though I got tired of hearing "OOTD"; it's pretty repetitious.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It was the On An Island tour, around 2003 (can't recall exactly), with Richard Wright, Phil Manzanera, and Gilmour (and band). I had front row seats in the balcony and will never forget Echoes.
    I did a search - it was 2006 on April 10.

I like it!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    "One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces." Fantastic album.

To each their own and all that, but for me, this is my favorite Floyd--maybe tied with Animals.

Live at Pompeii, though, is essential viewing if you like Echoes.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Echos is one of their best songs, still loving it after all these years..

I have it paired with Bel Air by Can on a mixed CD....

definitely one of my favorite Floyd albums, Echoes is a sheer masterpiece!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.