Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 70's prog from Argentina on par with YES and Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    With all due respect, I don't think the OP asked for you to be the gatekeeper for contributions, but since you bring it up, MediaBanda (who you mentioned) was founded in 2004. I guess that's the cutoff?

I didn't bring up MediaBanda actually as you would know if you actually read my post which merely referenced in passing another poster's mentioning of Chile and MediaBanda. I'm glad to see you at least didn't try and defend your claim about Venezuela and its prog scene though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Come on people. There's no discussion on Argentinian Prog without a single mention of the great Arco Iris. A band that truly merged the native South American sounds with rock music into a beautiful new idiom.

I mentioned Gustavo Santoalla directly above and said people should work through his music along with that of "Charly Garcia, Spinetta, Pedro Aznar, Litto Nebbia, Lito Vitale, David Lebón etc and look at all the groups and scenes of which they were a part"

It does seem to me however on this forum attention is only paid to posts made by the regular clique here.

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    It does seem to me however on this forum attention is only paid to posts made by the regular clique here.
    Either that,.. or Zappathustra is not familiar with all the names of the individuals that comprise all the Argentine bands. In this case specifically, Arco Iris.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I'm glad to see you at least didn't try and defend your claim about Venezuela and its prog scene though.
    You didn't warrant further engagement.
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

Quote Originally Posted by stickman393 View Post
    There's a netflix documentary called, Break It All: History of Rock In South America that is well worth a watch. Subtitled, and goes from late 60's through to 00's but there are some great bands there. It turned me on to Santa Sabina and El Circo.
    Very interesting.. thanks for posting

Once you start feeling compelled to “correct” people with an attitude who aren’t otherwise engaging you directly, you shouldn’t expect warm and fuzzy replies. Your earlier posts were more helpful. Stick to that if you want the right kind of attention.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Either that,.. or Zappathustra is not familiar with all the names of the individuals that comprise all the Argentine bands. In this case specifically, Arco Iris.
    I am very much familiar, but the band's name was not explicitly mentioned, as you say.

I mentioned Gustavo Santoalla directly above and said people should work through his music along with that of "Charly Garcia, Spinetta, Pedro Aznar, Litto Nebbia, Lito Vitale, David Lebón etc and look at all the groups and scenes of which they were a part"

You are mistaken here. I did pay attention to your post, as I try to do with each post, and particularly with your own, as I consider you a valid contributor to this forum. I am not apologizing, just stating a simple fact.

I am very much familiar, but the band's name was not explicitly mentioned, as you say.
    Got me beat. I can't tell you who played in what, and couldn't really care less about that. Doesn't affect my enjoyment of the music at all. I would expect that POV is not uncommon.

Agnus - Pinturas y Expresiones from 1980 is very good. Doesn't sound 80s at all, no need to be cautious production wise. This is 70s production.

Also, less proggy prog, but more bluesy hard rock with prog overtone (à la Deep Purple let's say), the albums El Reloj I (1975) and El Reloj II (1976) from the band El Reloj are not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Got me beat. I can't tell you who played in what, and couldn't really care less about that. Doesn't affect my enjoyment of the music at all. I would expect that POV is not uncommon.
    Most of the times it's the same here, but this guy is quite famous as a soundtrack s composer - hasn't he won an Oscar too ? - and that was kind of impressive and stuck to my mind.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    Agnus - Pinturas y Expresiones from 1980 is very good. Doesn't sound 80s at all, no need to be cautious production wise. This is 70s production.

Also, less proggy prog, but more bluesy hard rock with prog overtone (à la Deep Purple let's say), the albums El Reloj I (1975) and El Reloj II (1976) from the band El Reloj are not bad.
    Thnx!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Sean,
    An interesting article from Rolling Stone magazine, it’s in spanish … so you can continue practicing your Spanish!!

“Genesis: the story of the Argentines who made a pilgrimage to see the band in Brazil in 1977”

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/revista-...l-nid16112021/

“A hundred fans - including Charly García, among other renowned musicians - traveled from the country on an unusual tour so as not to miss Phil Collins' group in one of its best moments.”

Come on people. There's no discussion on Argentinian Prog without a single mention of the great Arco Iris. A band that truly merged the native South American sounds with rock music into a beautiful new idiom.
    A great band who sadly have not been well served in terms of reissues (unless I missed things...).

My knowledge of the Argentinian scene overall is poor, but I yield to no-one in my admiration for Bubu's Anabelas. One of the great albums in this genre irrespective of country, IMO. Their recent album was quite pleasant, but to my ears not on the same level.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Nobody else is going to mention them, so it falls to me to mention Magma (the Argentine one). I suppose Alberto Felici’s high-pitched voice is a bit of an acquired taste, but he always fills every song with lots of passion, and if you speak Spanish, his lyrics are just lovely. Apart from Canto para una consagración (featured on the Kronicas CD reissued by Record Runner in the 90s), all their albums are quite rare, but Felici seems to have taken the trouble to post all their discography in its entirety to Youtube, including their excellent second album, La transformación (abridged on the Kronicas CD). Later albums step away from the prog influences, but if you like what they do, you might enjoy them as well (do beware, Musiqueros del silencio is awfully DX7-y, only to be expected considering when it was recorded).

Never connected with Invisible/Spinetta at all, but I am rather fond of the works of Charly Garcia. Not Sui Generis so much (more for fans of CSNY and other period folk-rock than prog), but Serú Girán is nice, and the Maquina albums are brilliant! MdHP’s keyboardist, Carlos Cutaia, recorded an instrumental solo album of interest, Ciudad de tonos lejanos. He also recorded an album with his wife Carola under the name Ce.Ce. Cutaia (Rota tierra rota). That one’s more progressive pop—perhaps comparable to later Ambrosia, but with female vocals—though it may be of interest to some, since the songwriting and musicianship is of high quality even if it’s a little “lightweight.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Charly Garcia - such a good songwriter. Very melodic and tasteful.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Nexus & Soda Stereo , sorry I realized now.. not from the 70's

I am a huge fan of Spinetta with Almendra, Sui Generis , Spinetta Jade or Solo. There is a great 90s concert Spinetta Y Las Bandas Eternas where he resumes his career and invited old and New friends on stage. Touching document
    And not to forget Seru Giran the Argentinian All Star Band with Garcia , Aznar, Lebon.....

My top Argentinian rock albums (one album only from one band):

1. El Jardin de los presentes - Invisible
    2. Anabelas - Bubu
    3. Sudamerica - Arco Iris
    4. Artaud - Pescado Rabbioso
    5. Alas - Alas
    6. Miguel Abuelo & Nada - Miguel Abuelo & Nada
    7. Cornonstipicum - MIA
    8. El Reloj (2nd) - El Reloj
    9. La Biblia - Vox Dei
    10. Peliculas - Machina de hacer pajaros
    11. Los Delerios del Mariscal - Crucis
    12. Triste noticias del Impero - Redd
    13. Pinturas y Espresiones - Agnus
    14. Third - Color Humano
    15. Anacrusa III - Anacrusa

still struggling to make anything of Seru Giran apart from a couple of songs. Charly is a genius obviously, but flies over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Nexus & Soda Stereo , sorry I realized now.. not from the 70's
    Yes, I just realized Magma never released anything during the 70s (though they have been around since 1974). I also recently discovered that there’s ANOTHER band from Argentina called Magma, a metal band who released a couple of albums in the late 2000s.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

My top Argentinian rock albums (one album only from one band):

1. El Jardin de los presentes - Invisible
    2. Anabelas - Bubu
    3. Sudamerica - Arco Iris
    4. Artaud - Pescado Rabbioso
    5. Alas - Alas
    6. Miguel Abuelo & Nada - Miguel Abuelo & Nada
    7. Cornonstipicum - MIA
    8. El Reloj (2nd) - El Reloj
    9. La Biblia - Vox Dei
    10. Peliculas - Machina de hacer pajaros
    11. Los Delerios del Mariscal - Crucis
    12. Triste noticias del Impero - Redd
    13. Pinturas y Espresiones - Agnus
    14. Third - Color Humano
    15. Anacrusa III - Anacrusa

still struggling to make anything of Seru Giran apart from a couple of songs. Charly is a genius obviously, but flies over my head.
    Well "Serú Girán" was a great group in Argentina, they became massive. They filled big stadiums in Argentina on their last shows, at the end they were very success. Pedro Aznar (Pat Metheny percussionist) sang and played bass on this band. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ser%C3%BA_Gir%C3%A1n
    As mentioned before, the other band with lot of success even much bigger than Serú Girán was Soda Stereo. They played even in USA and there is a farewell tour visiting US again on 2022. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_Stereo

Charly is considered a genius for many in Argentina and Spinetta even more like a God. Charly's music is more accessible than Spinetta. But I would say that the lyrics play a very important role when it comes to appreciate this music. If you don't know Spanish then is like eating pasta without sauce :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I would be interested in learning more re: 70s Argentina scene to compliment my 70s Spanish collection [emoji106]
    We've written somewhat extensively on the whole Latin- and South-American scene in the past (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Uruguay and more), but the threads are scattered all over the place and with tons of information on both older and more post-70s takes (seeing as much of it actually happened in the 80s and later) - be it on "symphonic" rock (with/without any "Genesis/Yes" reference), avant-progressive, progressive fusion, progressive folk-rock and so much more. My tip would be that you concentrate on individual artists' names when you encounter them, and use the search-button in here. We've had literally dozens of main threads on the topic. Needless to say, I'm a huge fan myself.

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...light=spinetta
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

When I discovered Argentine rock nacional, it was like opening up a box containing wonderful surprises that had been locked away from me for decades.

I became a huge Flaco (Spinetta) fan, and love his work with Invsible, Pescado Rabioso, Almendra, and really got my first taste of him via his solo work.

I listen to Flaco most every day. Right now, I have a wonderful ear worm going......."La Bengala Perdida" from Tester of Violence LP(2001).

The eons are closing
    Thnx all, especially Señor SS for the googlefu on the prior threads.

For me - El Reloj is where Im starting

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Always liked Crucis. There's a seriousness to their sound that I like.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.