Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyle Mays final album "Eberhard" out Aug 27

Lyle Mays final album "Eberhard" out Aug 27

Just saw this news and had to share it for fans of this incredible talent. Yes, it's a tribute to Eberhard Weber, and all the more special for that. can't wait.

Here's a link to the Lyle Mays tribute site if you want to check that out also.

https://www.lylemays.com/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Thank you so much for this post!! I adore his work and that of Weber enormously and this is an amazing revelation.
    I was heartbroken to learn of his death. And to hear Rodby state there was more music to come is indeed our misfortune he never made it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Just saw this news and had to share it for fans of this incredible talent. Yes, it's a tribute to Eberhard Weber, and all the more special for that. can't wait.

Here's a link to the Lyle Mays tribute site if you want to check that out also.

https://www.lylemays.com/
    I posted my review of the CD single, published last Friday at all about jazz, in the Off Topic Music and Arts section of the forum, since it isn't progressive rock. Eberhard, the piece and the CD, is a tremendous but bittersweet studio swan song from Mays that any fan needs to hear this coming Friday, when it's released,

For those who missed it there, here's the original post:

==================

Hi all! My review of Lyle Mays' relatively short but oh so sweet studio swan song, Eberhard, was published this morning at All About Jazz. Here are the first couple of paragraphs, followed by a link to the full article. In a nutshell, it's a stellar piece of music, truly an epic musical journey, made all the more bittersweet in its representing the last bit of new music we'll hear from Mays. That said, if this is all there is, he sure went out on a musical high note:

When pianist, keyboardist, synthesist and composer Lyle Mays passed away at the far too young age of 66 following a long battle with a recurring (but, to this day undisclosed) illness in February 2020, it was a major loss for his fans. It was an especially deep body blow to those who'd followed his decades-long work as performer and compositional collaborator with Pat Metheny in the guitarist's critically and commercially acclaimed Pat Metheny Group.

Mays had been largely MIA from the music scene as a performer for the past decade, but even longer when it came to recorded works. During his lifetime, Mays' own discography as a leader/co-leader ultimately amounted, beyond a small series of media scores, to just six recordings, from 1981's classic collaboration with Metheny and Brazilian percussionist/vocalist Nana Vasconcelos, as Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls (ECM Records) through the 2015 release of a German live performance, The Ludwigsburg Concert (SWR Music).

The Ludwigsburg Concert was certainly a most welcome event for fans starved for new music from Mays, whose previous release under his own name, Solo: Improvisations for Expanded Piano (Warner Bros.), dated back to 2000. Undeniably superb, Ludwigsburg featured Mays, along with a stellar group of band leaders including in-demand Los Angeles-based reed and woodwind multi-instrumentalist Bob Sheppard (Chick Corea, Chris Botti, Bill Cunliffe), double bassist Marc Johnson (Bill Evans, John Abercrombie, Eliane Elias) and drummer Mark Walker (Oregon, Eliane Elias, Paquito D'Rivera). But the two-disc set actually represented the long overdue release of a live performance that had taken place 22 years prior in November 1993, in support of Mays' then-recently released trio album, Fictionary (Geffen Records, 1993).

All of which makes the release of Eberhard such a major event....
    Continue reading here...
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

This short clip is from the site mentioned in the first post:

oh, I didn't know it would only be one piece. I was seriously hoping for an albums worth of material and not just a 13 minute song. I guess we will take what we can from Lyle and call ourselves lucky.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

oh, I didn't know it would only be one piece. I was seriously hoping for an albums worth of material and not just a 13 minute song. I guess we will take what we can from Lyle and call ourselves lucky.
    Read my review. It's not "just" a 13-minute piece. It's an epic, plain & simple. My review also explains why there'll be no more to come. It's a drag, yes, but I'll take this 13 minutes over nothing. Been listening to it for a month now and it continues to amaze...

I don't mean to sound curt, I just think once you hear it you'll get why, short as it is, it is a wonderful parting gift...
    John Kelman

I was totally unaware Lyle Mays had passed.

How did I miss that?

He and I were born in the same year. Way too young to die.

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    I was totally unaware Lyle Mays had passed.

How did I miss that?

He and I were born in the same year. Way too young to die.
    Yeah Feb 10, 2020. This is his swan song unfortunately.

Sounds like Lyle. I enjoyed it except for the sax solo. I've just grown tired of that school of Brecker style tenor playing.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Read my review. It's not "just" a 13-minute piece. It's an epic, plain & simple. My review also explains why there'll be no more to come. It's a drag, yes, but I'll take this 13 minutes over nothing. Been listening to it for a month now and it continues to amaze...

I don't mean to sound curt, I just think once you hear it you'll get why, short as it is, it is a wonderful parting gift...
    Thanks so much for the review! I just ordered it.

And yes, Lyle is…gone…so ANYTHING new from him is huge, especially with the thinness of his catalog.

Damn, I miss that man.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Thanks so much for the review! I just ordered it.
    I've no doubt you'll love Eberhard. Meanwhile, thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Damn, I miss that man.
    You and me both....
    John Kelman

Thanks John!!

He had such a unique style. I am sure I will like it.

Ember
    It feels so much like the first track of my new favorite record, that listening to it makes me just sad that there's no next track. It is so, so good.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Finally bought the download today. First listen, it's lovely. Off to start it again

RIP LM
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Really loving this piece. I stumbled upon this interesting clip on YouTube of Lyle giving a talk at a Uni somewhere a decade or so ago. Interesting for lots of reasons, one of which being that Lyle's tech engineer Bob Rice is there too and they both talk a little about Zappa amongst lots of other stuff. But most important for this thread is the brief glimpse of some of "Eberhard" towards the end:

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Really loving this piece. I stumbled upon this interesting clip on YouTube of Lyle giving a talk at a Uni somewhere a decade or so ago. Interesting for lots of reasons, one of which being that Lyle's tech engineer Bob Rice is there too and they both talk a little about Zappa amongst lots of other stuff. But most important for this thread is the brief glimpse of some of "Eberhard" towards the end:

Thanks for this!
    J
    John Kelman

So Lyle Mays' final recording inspired me to write my own tribute to the late great bassist. Enjoy.

https://www.bandlab.com/ptmconsultin...f-a04a5e798978
    Last edited by BobM; 09-10-2021 at 04:25 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    So Lyle Mays' final recording inspired me to write my own tribute to the late great bassist. Enjoy.

The URL is just a copy of the PE ellipsified tag, and does a 404.

Try it now, I think they were having some problems with their site.

I finally had an opportunity to listen to the piece. I actually listened three times in a row and I love it! What an absolute treat to experience months after Lyle’s very untimely passing

UPDATE: I still love the track; I hear more and more each time. But has anyone else had the issue I had? The spindle in the case is so strong that it is hard to release the CD. I broke the CD removing it! I was very bummed so I did the only thing I could: order another. This one’s case was damaged by the shipping process but the CD is ok.

On a parallel note, I finally found a used copy of his first solo CD. It wasn’t cheap but I had to have it.

I didn't have that problem with the LP
    I love it. It sounds spectacular and is such a nice prize to have as an parting piece.
    Since it's a pretty short recording, it's gotten played more than most things. And that a very good thing that I can dig deeper into the track each time.
    That's the beauty of Jazz and Prog to me. Complex songs you can spend dozens and dozens of listens and uncover something else each time.
    The PMG shows were some of the best concerts I've even been to. Sad to never see Lyle play again. But so happy to have what I have to keep listening.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I didn't have that problem with the LP...
    Since it's a pretty short recording...
    Does the LP have music on both sides?