Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 70's prog from Argentina on par with YES and Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by SpinettaFan View Post
    When I discovered Argentine rock nacional, it was like opening up a box containing wonderful surprises that had been locked away from me for decades.

I became a huge Flaco (Spinetta) fan, and love his work with Invsible, Pescado Rabioso, Almendra, and really got my first taste of him via his solo work.

I listen to Flaco most every day. Right now, I have a wonderful ear worm going......."La Bengala Perdida" from Tester of Violence LP(2001).
    Same for me , I do like most of his records, solo and bands. Some of his later solo records are amazing , one of my favourite is Para Los Arbolos from 2003. My Spanish is quite basic and I try translation modules to get an idea of the lyrics and I learned quite a lot about Argentinan history through his records and looking up references like for Bajo Belgrano the Spinetta Jade record dedicated to the quarter in Buenos Aires where he grew up.

Seru Giran reminds me of the Classic Rock era where albums consisted of songs that didn't all sound alike. Led Zeppelin is like this. The modern era of popular music seems to be that bands have a uniform sound from song to song.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Seru Giran reminds me of the Classic Rock era where albums consisted of songs that didn't all sound alike. Led Zeppelin is like this. The modern era of popular music seems to be that bands have a uniform sound from song to song.
    Seru Giran is very linked to the Argentinian dictatorship period. La Grasa de las Capitales 79 et Bicicletta deal in their lyrics with the life during the "dirty war" period often with metaphors to avoid censorship. When you think of the thousands of people who were killed by the Junta this was not an easy period for artists with left field leanings. This is also one of the reasons of their popularity and the huge following of their 92 comeback when they played 2 concerts for about 160000 people in a stadium in Buenos Aires. Peperina is my favourite Seru Giran record.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they donít understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    good comment