Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 70's prog from Argentina on par with YES and Genesis

70's prog from Argentina on par with YES and Genesis

Hey guys! Lately I've been learning Spanish and of course listening to and translating music is a very helpful activity. So I spiraled down many rabbit holes but found that the 70's prog scene from Argentina does it for me best. Have you guys listened to bands like Crucis and Invisible?

I'm way into Charly Garcia and failing to find documentaries about him in English has lead to me creating my own and I'd really appreciate it if you gave my mini-doc a chance and learn the interesting story of Charly's stab at symphonic prog with his supergroup called La Máquina De Hacer Pájaros.

I think it's a really fascinating short story, with the involvement of a military uprising and a bit of drama, I also added just a snippet of my friends and I covering the song, "Bubulina."

I'd really appreciate it if you guys check it out and let me know in the comments if you're into Prog from South America!

https://youtu.be/zDgBcKkEjuo

There's a netflix documentary called, Break It All: History of Rock In South America that is well worth a watch. Subtitled, and goes from late 60's through to 00's but there are some great bands there. It turned me on to Santa Sabina and El Circo.

Dude! Thank you! I have not heard about that! Happy to check it out! I love Santa Sabina. And I haven't listened to El Circo for years but I believe I had one of their old albums on an iPad. I'm excited to watch that now! Thank you!

You might want to explore Chile as well, as strong as the Argentina scene.

I really like Los Jaivas, but I'm not sure I've heard much more from Chile yet.

Funny I should see this thread, as a couple weeks ago I discovered some 30-year old cd's in my collection by 1970's band La Máquina De Hacer Pájaros. I burned them both onto one cdr and have been playing them all week in my car. Great stuff!

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I have the Crucis twofer and it's great! Touch of jazz in places. Bit like Moraz.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hunt View Post
    I really like Los Jaivas, but I'm not sure I've heard much more from Chile yet.
    You should try Mediabanda, Fulano, Akineton Retard and Congreso and the somewhat newer band La Desooorden

Hey guys! Lately I've been learning Spanish and of course listening to and translating music is a very helpful activity. So I spiraled down many rabbit holes but found that the 70's prog scene from Argentina does it for me best. Have you guys listened to bands like Crucis and Invisible?

I'm way into Charly Garcia and failing to find documentaries about him in English has lead to me creating my own and I'd really appreciate it if you gave my mini-doc a chance and learn the interesting story of Charly's stab at symphonic prog with his supergroup called La Máquina De Hacer Pájaros.

I think it's a really fascinating short story, with the involvement of a military uprising and a bit of drama, I also added just a snippet of my friends and I covering the song, "Bubulina."

I'd really appreciate it if you guys check it out and let me know in the comments if you're into Prog from South America!

Argentina is definitely one of my favorite spots for prog and it was really the first Spanish speaking country to develop a full on rock scene in Spanish (even before Spain really).

It was Charly's 70th birthday just recently and there were quite a few celebrations and articles on it and him as a result as well. Charly and Spinetta both are the 2 most seminal figures there and not just as it concerns prog actually. They are national icons.

Crucis is another of my favorites from the area too. I'd be happy to recommend prog from the region (outside of Argentina too) including from recent years which doesn't get covered in the English speaking world nearly as much as it should.

Another poster mentioned Chile and while it's true that there's a nice diversity of prog from Chile (and Mediabanda is deservedly well appreciated), there's far less than there is from Argentina and that's even more true the more you go into the past (in the 70s there was barely anything from Chile and to be fair, there are some reasons for that external to music as well). Argentina was really ground zero for rock in Spanish and Charly and Spinetta (and of course later non-prog groups like Soda Stero, Fito and Calamaro and his groups) are widely regarded as the trailblazers throughout Latin America.

Spain is a somewhat different case as most of the integration musically was throughout Latin America at first and then only subsequently included Spain to get where we are today where there's a full circuit for the Spanish speaking world from the US down through to Chile and Argentina and then over to Spain.

The eons are closing
    I would be interested in learning more re: 70s Argentina scene to compliment my 70s Spanish collection [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

For sure. For me the top 3 from Argentina are Bubu, Crucis, and MIA. I have had more difficulty with Invisible; I think I miss out due to the language barrier. The second tier for me personally is probably Espiritu, Pablo "El Enterrador", and Julio Presas. I have heard a lot of the others but those are the ones that stick out for me.

For Chile, it's Los Jaivas head and shoulders above everyone else IMO, particularly if you are into symphonic/folk. Most of the other best groups from that country are more fusion or avant-prog, so you have to be into that style.

Brazil and Venezuela probably have the best scenes from the rest of South America after Argentina. If you want to hit the more obscure countries, there is Armando Tirelli from Uruguay (although I think his album El Profeta was recorded in Mexico?), and Flor de Loto from Peru.
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I would be interested in learning more re: 70s Argentina scene to compliment my 70s Spanish collection [emoji106]

My advice would be to pick a few of the seminal musicians like Charly Garcia, Spinetta, Gustavo Santaolalla, Pedro Aznar, Litto Nebbia, Lito Vitale, David Lebón etc and look at all the groups and scenes of which they were a part. That will have you crossing paths with a significant chunk of Argentinian prog from the 70s (and beyond). There's definitely more besides that of course (Crucis, Vox Dei, Bubu, Aquelarre etc) but it will get you started and it will be easier to fill in the rest after that.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    For sure. For me the top 3 from Argentina are Bubu, Crucis, and MIA. I have had more difficulty with Invisible; I think I miss out due to the language barrier. The second tier for me personally is probably Espiritu, Pablo "El Enterrador", and Julio Presas. I have heard a lot of the others but those are the ones that stick out for me.

For Chile, it's Los Jaivas head and shoulders above everyone else IMO, particularly if you are into symphonic/folk. Most of the other best groups from that country are more fusion or avant-prog, so you have to be into that style.

Brazil and Venezuela probably have the best scenes from the rest of South America after Argentina. If you want to hit the more obscure countries, there is Armando Tirelli from Uruguay (although I think his album El Profeta was recorded in Mexico?), and Flor de Loto from Peru.

You're mixing different time periods here by talking about a group like Flor de Loto whose first album is from 2005 and Crucis, Bubu and Los Jaivas etc.

That poster was asking about the 70s but if we're opening up the topic to be about contemporary prog, there's loads of music we could mention from Argentina as well as from some of the other countries in the region.

FYI: Venezuela definitely doesn't have the best scene for prog in Latin America after Argentina (and Brazil), neither now nor ever. Chile has quite a bit more as does of course Mexico just to take 2 very obvious cases.
    Last edited by tribalfusion; 11-15-2021 at 05:35 PM.

A family band from Chile that I've been listening to for a couple of years now. Though not my first choice in prog, symphonic played by KAFOD, caught my ear. Check em out
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I would be interested in learning more re: 70s Argentina scene to compliment my 70s Spanish collection
    Probably my favorite from Argentina, is Alas. Their S/T album and Pinta tu Aldea are both top notch.

Bubu's Anabelas is a must (their 2018 album El Eco Del Sol is also excellent). I also love both La Maquina De Hacer Pajaros albums. Both Crucis albums are quite good, though I think the quality dips a bit on the second one. MIA's Cornonstipicum is pretty good too.

I own Gustavo Montesano's Homenaje, but I can't recall a not off of it at the moment. I also have the OM album from 1976, which I recall is sort of a mixed bag.

That's all I own from Argentina in the 70s. I've tried others, but these were the ones that really stood out for me (or had enough to really hold my interest. Definitely look into Alas.

Bill

My favorite album from Argentina is probably Invisible -El Jardin De Los Presentes. Also great - M.I.A., Bubu, La Maquina De La Hacer Pajaros, Naranja Mecanica, Espiritu, Pastoral, PorSuiGieco, Aucan. The last three may be too folky or light for some on PE, but I love them. I'm less a fan of Crucis than many here, but they're OK. I should probably revisit. For Psych/Hard Rock fans, Kubero Diaz Y La Pesada is not to be missed. Absolute killer.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

The eons are closing
    While I have a cross selection of Spanish 'prog' -

my faves are GOMA, Fusioon (2nd especially), Ibio, Gotic, Crack, Iceberg

So gonna check the stuff here!

No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Hola Sean!.
    Yes, as my good Zappa wrote: good work done! ... and your "spanish" is better than my "english"! (lol)

I never knew if the song "En Las Calles De Costa Rica" really has to do or is related to our country ... I live in Costa Rica BTW.
    I read that "no", that it was a random name choosen.

So far, good recommendations have been made Sean!
    Good Hunting!

Personally, I've always followed/loved Luis Alberto Spinetta (El Flaco) and all his bands more, it's a matter of taste; but all in all, I like Charly's bands and his solo works too.

Pura Vida Sean!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Charly Garcia is one of the most important and iconic rock stars Latin America has ever seen, just 70 a few weeks ago, plenty of celebrations were made in his honor, the day he goes, Argentina will stop to pay tribute, yes, that huge he is ... people who do not speak Spanish and do not understand what he is singing about and how subtle he had to be to bypass censorship and jail, and yes, one scary situation wit a firing squad, have no idea how influential his words continue to be, lyrically comparable to Dylan

2 mini docs recently made for his 70 years celebration by the ministry of education and culture, some of his songs explained in context with what was going on during the dictatorship.

https://www.facebook.com/CulturaNaci...-IOS_GK0T-GK1C

https://www.facebook.com/Infobae/vid...-IOS_GK0T-GK1C

I'm way into Charly Garcia
    the celebration concert

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Hola Sean!.
    Yes, as my good Zappa wrote: good work done! ... and your "spanish" is better than my "english"! (lol)

I never knew if the song "En Las Calles De Costa Rica" really has to do or is related to our country ... I live in Costa Rica BTW.
    I read that "no", that it was a random name choosen.

So far, good recommendations have been made Sean!
    Good Hunting!

Personally, I've always followed/loved Luis Alberto Spinetta (El Flaco) and all his bands more, it's a matter of taste; but all in all, I like Charly's bands and his solo works too.

Pura Vida Sean!
    What a great video:
    - Two friends, two idols and great musicians, their legacy is undeniable. -

"The way Charly looks at El Flaco has no description, only love, respect and admiration!"

"At Spinetta's wake, Charly was asked how he was, and his answer was "Boludo, my idol died". This defines the admiring face with which he looks at him throughout the whole song."
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    You're mixing different time periods here by talking about a group like Flor de Loto whose first album is from 2005 and Crucis, Bubu and Los Jaivas etc.
    With all due respect, I don't think the OP asked for you to be the gatekeeper for contributions, but since you bring it up, MediaBanda (who you mentioned) was founded in 2004. I guess that's the cutoff?
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

Come on people. There's no discussion on Argentinian Prog without a single mention of the great Arco Iris. A band that truly merged the native South American sounds with rock music into a beautiful new idiom.

^Arco Iris "Los Elementales" is a recent discovery and a very nice album.

For me, anything related to Spinetta should be checked and can be considered essential.