Thread: Doug Helvering's rant about his Nursery Cryme video getting blocked

Doug Helvering's rant about his Nursery Cryme video getting blocked

Thought this would be of interest to those who follow this stuff (like me.)

Reactor (I guess that's a thing now) Doug Helvering (The Daily Doug) decided to post a video of him reacting to the entire Nursery Cryme album on the 50th anniversary of its release.

Here's the video, but long story short: The whole thing was immediately blocked (as individual tracks), which he then disputed. They re-blocked everything, and he said "OK, I won't monetize anything. Now can I upload it?" The response was "No, because we're not going to let you turn off monetization." And there he was. The video is on his Vimeo channel for those who are interested.

The punchline to the whole thing is that Doug looked into who manually was blocking the tracks and uncovered a company called Laika based out of the UK, whose website features a testimonial from none other than Phil Collins' management!

I think it's fair to argue how much value reactors like Doug Helvering bring to the music and its legacy, but I also think it's fair to say the way YouTube polices (or doesn't) these videos is... inconsistent, to say the least.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Thought this would be of interest to those who follow this stuff (like me.)

Reactor (I guess that's a thing now) Doug Helvering (The Daily Doug) decided to post a video of him reacting to the entire Nursery Cryme album on the 50th anniversary of its release.

Here's the video, but long story short: The whole thing was immediately blocked (as individual tracks), which he then disputed. They re-blocked everything, and he said "OK, I won't monetize anything. Now can I upload it?" The response was "No, because we're not going to let you turn off monetization." And there he was. The video is on his Vimeo channel for those who are interested.

The punchline to the whole thing is that Doug looked into who manually was blocking the tracks and uncovered a company called Laika based out of the UK, whose website features a testimonial from none other than Phil Collins' management!

I think it's fair to argue how much value reactors like Doug Helvering bring to the music and its legacy, but I also think it's fair to say the way YouTube polices (or doesn't) these videos is... inconsistent, to say the least.
    Unfortunately, this is nothing new. I occasionally watch the Andy & Alex reaction channel and they run into this all the time. They have a Patreon site (costs $1 a month) where they post reactions to blocked videos. King Crimson, Led Zeppelin and other bands are notorious for blocking their videos.

Speaking of the subject. Rick Beato just posted this tonight:

The complete domination and monetization of the internet is almost complete.
    The huge multinationals , usual suspects are delighted they have almost full control over the content again.
    I for one see the Torrent sites also having a renaissance the way things are polarising.

Playing Devil's advocate: if hip hop artists can't sample music due to copyrights, why should we proggers be allowed to use copyrighted material with impunity? Even if it is a reaction video?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I had a soundcloud track blocked for copyright that compared and contrasted the mixes of a Genesis tune from an 80s CD release vs. the same album from the remixed box.
    IIRC it was a Selling England tune and I only had a couple of 30 second excerpts.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The number of times I've used someone's youtube upload to sample something that I thought I might like and then gone and pulled the trigger on a physical (or occasional digital) purchase has to be in the several dozens, at minumum.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Playing Devil's advocate: if hip hop artists can't sample music due to copyrights, why should we proggers be allowed to use copyrighted material with impunity? Even if it is a reaction video?
    Rap and Hip Hop artists are still sampling other people's music, never stopped as far as I could tell. It's just not as blatant as the early days where instead of a 3 sec sample, they would sample quite a large chunk. Even with the limitations of sampling memory.

My personal position is, if you are making money off your Youtube channel, and part of what you use to attract viewers, is other people's music or movie, or art, then you should be blocked or pay compensation. You are making money off someone else's work, even if you are doing the artist a favor by showcasing their music. Which is not always positive due to negativity in the reaction or review.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Rap and Hip Hop artists are still sampling other people's music, never stopped as far as I could tell. It's just not as blatant as the early days where instead of a 3 sec sample, they would sample quite a large chunk. Even with the limitations of sampling memory.
    When hip hop artists sample, it's artists and/or labels whose enforcement is less strict. The more strict enforcers will allow a band to cover an entire song, in exchange for mechanical royalties. But they will not, under any circumstances allow bits and pieces of a song to be sampled. Not for any amount in mechanical royalties. The strictest enforcers won't allow any but the official videos to exist on YouTube. I've learned running my sing along/karaoke group at work, some songs are simply unavailable with on screen lyrics. More so a karaoke version with the vocals zapped.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama