Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R.I.P. John Goodsall

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Thanks for digging that up, but he didn't specifically address Is There Anything About.

Over time the "two bands" legend for Product (and onward) seems to have evolved somewhat. I seem to recall it being described as a schism between two factions, but now it seems to be portrayed as the band splitting into two working groups, one which kept going in traditional Brand X fashion and the other tried to deliver something that was in accordance with record company demands that they take things in a more pop direction. The former scenario made it seem like the old standard sitcom trope was in effect, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Glad you mentioned that one, Chris. His ensemble playing in that tune is fantastic as well. Masques is the first Brand X album I listened to and still my favorite from start to finish. All of the compositions are first rate.
    Their masterpiece, imo
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Their masterpiece, imo
    Funny, its probably the one I like the least.
    The 3 first as the favorites.

I guess this one comes too late: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt10126338/?ref_=tt_mv
    Brand X: The Desert Years

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I guess this one comes too late: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt10126338/?ref_=tt_mv
    Brand X: The Desert Years
    How does Lumley factor into it, I wonder?

I don't know what the proper etiquette is for asking for a refund when a band member has passed away, but I asked the venue where I got my Brand X tickets for last Fall that ended up getting postponed, and got a reply that the policy is that there are no refunds, but

"Right now the Brand X event link is not live because we have to postponed it until the surviving members regroup, but they have told us to stand by for 2022."

Note, I'm not trying to start any rumors.

My brief, but humorous Brand X story from one of the Roxy gigs in '79, with Phil.

Lumley (or was it Robinson?) hits a note on his Prophet synth, and the thing puts forth a nasty sound, then goes dead. After a couple of minutes of trying to get it back up, which is a no go, someone announces from the stage (my recollection was Goodsall, but since Phil was the more famous one in the band, it could have been him);

"well, it looks like our Prophet blew up, but this won't be the first time Brand X played without profit".

See what he did there?
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Didn't Lumley alienate himself from the rest of the band when he put out Is There Anything About? from a bunch of outtakes?

(I'm glad he did it, though. It was a nice Swan Song for the classic band)
    I thought it was the release of the Live at The Roxy 1979 CD on 'Zok Records' that alienated Robin Lumley from the rest of the band. That was taken from a soundboard cassette that Lumley had kept in his possession which all those years later was released without any involvement/approval from John and Percy--which did not make them happy (not to mention that they received NO royalties from the sales of this disc)!

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Saw Brand x many times even at least once once with Phil. Anyway, at the Sellersville Theater they had gone offstage after the show and had started to come out for the encore. Johns guitar was very near front of stage and at the venue there are tables up front at stage central. Some dude spills his entire glass of beer on Johns Guitar, go figure. So the band comes out for the encore and the guitar is unplayable. so John seats himself down in the first row and the rest of the band goes ahead with the encore without him. It was still great and all of us in the audience and John enjoyed it immensely.
    I saw Brand X twice in 1978, without Phil (something called “And Then There Were Three” had his attention), and unfortunately without the late John Goodsall. He was there, but the cast on his arm precluded him from playing!

Whenever I see the “Jazz Odyssey” scene in Spinal Tap I think of those two gigs. Without John’s guitar, it was a very unusual set of concerts. It was very “jam”

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I saw Brand X twice in 1978, without Phil (something called “And Then There Were Three” had his attention), and unfortunately without the late John Goodsall. He was there, but the cast on his arm precluded him from playing!

Whenever I see the “Jazz Odyssey” scene in Spinal Tap I think of those two gigs. Without John’s guitar, it was a very unusual set of concerts. It was very “jam”
    If you saw them without ANY guitar player, then it must have been from late July to early August, 1978.
    After that, starting in late August '78, studio musician Mike Miller (who later went on to play with some Zappa alumni) took over as fill-in guitarist.
    [must have been very *interesting* to see them without guitar!]

I've heard the Bottom Line recording with Mike Miller subbing for Goodsall. He did a great job. He's also worked stints with Banned From Utopia.

I've heard the Bottom Line recording with Mike Miller subbing for Goodsall. He did a great job.
    I agree! (They did two shows that night at The Bottom Line, NYC.) The late show even featured John Goodsall making a *special guest appearance* playing on two songs, Access To Data > The Poke. (One of the few shows in later '78 that he joined in on.)

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    If you saw them without ANY guitar player, then it must have been from late July to early August, 1978.
    After that, starting in late August '78, studio musician Mike Miller (who later went on to play with some Zappa alumni) took over as fill-in guitarist.
    [must have been very *interesting* to see them without guitar!]
    You are correct, Kind Sir.
    It was July 30 in Morristown (with John McGlaughlin and his One Truth Band) and August 1 in Central Park (Wollman Rink) with the same line-up. Not surprisingly, without Goodsall—or any guitar—McGlaughlin sort of blew them away.

I've heard the Bottom Line recording with Mike Miller subbing for Goodsall. He did a great job. He's also worked stints with Banned From Utopia.
    There are a couple of bootlegs with Brand X-recordings featuring Mike Miller; I guess only the Gonzo Multimedia's are "somewhat" official:
    https://www.discogs.com/release/8723...e-From-Chicago
    https://www.discogs.com/release/8726...From-Stockholm

Buckyball Records remembers Goodsall with this Tunnels-track, recorded live at NearFest 2003:

I saw that. Nice celebration, though I so wish he was still with us.