Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. John Goodsall

What a great player and quite an entertainer onstage. I am still basking in some glow from my memories of the 2019 show I saw. I had been looking forward to seeing the new lineup.

This serves as another reminder to make a point of seeing all your musical heroes ASAP whenever you get the chance. You will wake up one day and receive bad news like this, and that's that.

RIP

Was he playing on the tour that was suddenly postponed recently?

RIP. Brand X & the Moodys today! [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Was he playing on the tour that was suddenly postponed recently?
    To my knowledge, the postponed tour didn't start its original schedule; it was postponed before the first date. If anyone knows otherwise, I defer to them.
    The lineup was to be: Goodsall, Chris Clark (kb), Scott Weinberger (perc.), Ric Fierabracci (bass), Greyson Nekrutman (drums).

Sad news. RIP. I saw Brand X at RostFest when they played there and thought they were very good. I have that first Fire Merchants cd somewhere so I should pull that out and play it later. Unfortunately, I don't currently have any Brand X though.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 11-12-2021 at 03:18 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Terrible news. My wife and I had a great time at the Brand X show in Sept 2017. We talked to the guys after the show and John, Percy, and Kenny were very gracious. Rest In Peace, John.

RIP John Goodsall

Of all the 70s fusion bands, Brand X really struck a nerve with me. It didn't hurt that they had Percy Jones on bass, and Phil Collins is one of my favorite drummers, but it was mostly about how the songs made me feel. John and Percy were the torch bearers of Brand X though the years. He was "shredding" before there was a word for it. He sadly passed yesterday at age 68.

EDIT - Sorry, I guess these go in another forum...
    Last edited by gearHed289; 11-12-2021 at 03:04 PM.

Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Another one gone. RIP.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I don't currently have any Brand X though.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nuclear-Burn-...6749252&sr=8-1

Their first 6 albums plus some live tracks for a low price, only 4 copies left.

I just remembered another amusing JG story. I think this was at NEARfest and it was the Marc Wagnon version of Tunnels. I also think Mark Feldman stepped in to play some violin (although I kind of remember him seeming somewhat lost within their material). I may be conflating a few different memories so I don't know how accurate that scenario is but...

...apparently John was traveling with his girlfriend and their pet lizard. The band just stepped on to the stage, didn't even start playing yet and John, from the stage saw his girlfriend just sitting down in the auditorium...with her special guest, the pet lizard cradled in her arms.

John got really upset about this situation, apparently he was very very concerned about the lizards health during a loud rock concert. I think he thought the high decibels would...I guess...damage the lizard in some way...

So, from the stage, with the whole audience having their attention on them, you see John frantically waving his arms at his girlfriend, abject terror on his face, he looked like he was drowning...trying to get her attention...and you can hear him yelling (from the stage)...beseeching her to get the lizard out of the venue...for the love of god, get him out!!! The rest of the band didn't really know how to handle the situation, they were looking over at him kinda dumbfounded and stupefied, they might have been trying to hold back laughter, I don't know.

Not sure what happened, I think she left with the lizard so...hopefully all's well with that little guy but...but goddam that whole scene was funnier than shit...

...you had to be there...

RIP John-you will be missed!

best
    Michael
    Last edited by neuroticdog; 11-12-2021 at 05:48 PM.
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

damn..Marscape is a stone cold classic and favorite of mine.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Of all the 70s fusion bands, Brand X really struck a nerve with me. It didn't hurt that they had Percy Jones on bass, and Phil Collins is one of my favorite drummers, but it was mostly about how the songs made me feel. John and Percy were the torch bearers of Brand X though the years. He was "shredding" before there was a word for it. He sadly passed yesterday at age 68.

EDIT - Sorry, I guess these go in another forum...
    I thought the first one was appropriate here, but I don't make the rules.

Huge loss and way too young.

Saw Brand x many times even at least once once with Phil. Anyway, at the Sellersville Theater they had gone offstage after the show and had started to come out for the encore. Johns guitar was very near front of stage and at the venue there are tables up front at stage central. Some dude spills his entire glass of beer on Johns Guitar, go figure. So the band comes out for the encore and the guitar is unplayable. so John seats himself down in the first row and the rest of the band goes ahead with the encore without him. It was still great and all of us in the audience and John enjoyed it immensely.

Can't play this one outside of YT but for anyone who has never seen it, it's an interview with John and Phil Collins, 1979. Interesting to hear them talk about what's current then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzKNEjlwjhM
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Terrible loss. Brand X is my favorite fusion band. I missed them in the late 70s, but saw them five times, twice on
    the recent tours. The first of the recent shows was where I got behind the merch table and drank beer and talked
    with John for awhile. It's so sad. Thanks for the many notes, John, and there were lots of them!

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    at the Sellersville Theater they had gone offstage after the show and had started to come out for the encore. Johns guitar was very near front of stage and at the venue there are tables up front at stage central. Some dude spills his entire glass of beer on Johns Guitar, go figure. So the band comes out for the encore and the guitar is unplayable. so John seats himself down in the first row and the rest of the band goes ahead with the encore without him.
    I was at this show as well. Saw them on the "Manifest Destiny" tour 1996 or 7, and 5 times in the recent reformation. High quality playing. (I'm pictured on the recent live Locked and Loaded inside cover . . . along with a couple hundred others.)

RIP Mr. Goodsall

Rest easy John, you left us some wonderful music, and Deadly Nightshade has one of the greatest guitar solos of all time.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

A Message from Robin Lumley, with Percy Jones.

Dear and wonderful fans of Brand X,

I am Robin Lumley, and I too am Brand X, lest we forget. It is true then, as now. Of course, I am in mourning over John's passing. When you share countless dressing rooms, innumerable car and plane journeys and a long-term musician's comradeship, It leaves an indelible scar on your psyche. One that I wear with pride. John and I, and Percy too, had a love of the jazz-rock genre and we delighted together to compose tunes. I am especially delighted to have made music with such luminaries as John and Percy.

Brand X is no more:

To understand who is Brand X, it's critical to grasp the story of how the band came together. We have survived repeated attempted Coups d'États in which various entities over the years tried to push us out and wrestle our band away from us; yet we prevailed. We, the creative core of Brand X, have the legitimacy to speak on our own behalf and on behalf of our beloved band because its soul is with us, just as it remained with John.

Who else could it be with?

John, Percy and I were Brand X, and with John's demise, Brand X can be no more, and must rest in peace. No one is entitled to say otherwise or to speak on our behalf, whether on stage or online, officially or otherwise. It's the loyal fan base I admire.....those music-lovers who came back time and again to listen to the band, buy its albums and sent such complimentary letters to us. That kept us alive and recording for we did all those things knowing that there was an appreciative audience out there.......a BRAND X audience!

We were Brand X.

Until my next message to you all, loving fans...

Brand X is no more; long live Brand X!

Signed: Robin Lumley with Percy Jones
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ Not the wrong call, but surely a sad one. Thankfully I have many tapes to keep the memories flowing.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Rest easy John, you left us some wonderful music, and Deadly Nightshade has one of the greatest guitar solos of all time.
    Glad you mentioned that one, Chris. His ensemble playing in that tune is fantastic as well. Masques is the first Brand X album I listened to and still my favorite from start to finish. All of the compositions are first rate.

Didn't Lumley alienate himself from the rest of the band when he put out Is There Anything About? from a bunch of outtakes?

(I'm glad he did it, though. It was a nice Swan Song for the classic band)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Didn't Lumley alienate himself from the rest of the band when he put out Is There Anything About? from a bunch of outtakes?

(I'm glad he did it, though. It was a nice Swan Song for the classic band)
    There was a thread about Brand X that was visited by the producer ( or engineer ) of several of their albums.
    He related some of the Lumley issues. Tried to find it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    There was a thread about Brand X that was visited by the producer ( or engineer ) of several of their albums.
    He related some of the Lumley issues. Tried to find it.
    I think this is the one you mean.

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...rand-X-Product

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That's it thanks.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain