Thread: Android Trio - Other Worlds... Great New US Prog!

Android Trio - Other Worlds... Great New US Prog!

I haven't seen a lot of discussion about this, so I thought I'd start a thread.

This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite releases of the year. At heart, it's a hard-hitting Prog/Fusion album, perhaps a bit more on the Prog Rock or "composed" side. But this has a really modern feel, and I hear elements of bands like Chon and Polyphia in the music with those interlocking lines over heavily syncopated rhythms. I'm not sure if those bands specifically influenced Android Trio, but that's the sort of vibe I get.

The band has chops to burn, but the music is extremely melodic, and each piece unfolds uniquely. It's not a shred-fest by any means, but they turn up the heat when they want to. Some really amazing synth/keyboard work! Mike Keneally is involved with many of the tracks, but this doesn't sound like his stuff to me, it has a different feel.

Anyway, this is just so directly up my alley that it get me pretty excited. I'd like to know what others are making of these. If you haven't heard them I encourage folks to check them out!

https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.co...m/other-worlds

Bill

I'm one listen in, and am really liking what I hear. As you say Bill, lots of skill on display, but not a chops fest at all. Plenty of great moods, that have their own distinct sound and are enjoyable little musical journeys. To my ears at least, although the music is neither strange, nor alien, it doesn't quite sound like anything else. There are moments of aggression and moments of beauty. A very well constructed and recorded album, that is starting to stand out from the pack in my 2021 listening collection.

Neil

Sounds good !

It does sound good, and I'll probably get it, despite the silly band name.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's very good
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I'm one listen in, and am really liking what I hear. As you say Bill, lots of skill on display, but not a chops fest at all. Plenty of great moods, that have their own distinct sound and are enjoyable little musical journeys. To my ears at least, although the music is neither strange, nor alien, it doesn't quite sound like anything else. There are moments of aggression and moments of beauty. A very well constructed and recorded album, that is starting to stand out from the pack in my 2021 listening collection.

Neil
    WORD! This is exactly my take on the album.

Gave it a fresh spin tonight and toward the end there's a few tracks (or moments within tracks) that evoke latter KC... but again, not a clone. They retain a very fresh and modern feel, and never stray from a melodic center that makes their music accessible without relying on simplicity to do so. It keeps getting better with every spin... always a good sign for me.

Glad to hear other are digging it!

Bill

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^^^ Good review. I wasn't aware they had another album. I'm going to grab it.

Bill

Missed this thread last fall. But I read about the band at Keneally's website. Ordered the CD from Wayside.

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    Sorry this isn't a comment about music, but a warning to other readers.

I clicked the link to read the review above (Velvet Thunder link) and was redirected to a malicious download page telling me my Firefox was out of date (which it isn't). It proceeded to auto-download a Javascript file claiming to be a Firefox update.

A 2nd click didn't produce the same result, so I'm not sure if it was just a specific ad on the site that maybe caused the problem, but I did want to warn folks.

I got the same threat warning yesterday. I quickly closed the tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Cupcakes View Post
    Sorry this isn't a comment about music, but a warning to other readers.

I clicked the link to read the review above (Velvet Thunder link) and was redirected to a malicious download page telling me my Firefox was out of date (which it isn't). It proceeded to auto-download a Javascript file claiming to be a Firefox update.

A 2nd click didn't produce the same result, so I'm not sure if it was just a specific ad on the site that maybe caused the problem, but I did want to warn folks.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm usually savvy about malware downloads but I got it too and this one fooled me completely. Is there anything you need to do to get rid of the file? Do you know where it gets saved?

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm usually savvy about malware downloads but I got it too and this one fooled me completely. Is there anything you need to do to get rid of the file? Do you know where it gets saved?
    It downloads to wherever Firefox usually downloads files for you, at least it did for me.

In Firefox you can press CTRL + J (jay) to see the list of recent files, and then click the little Folder icon next to one of the files. That should bring you to the location.

Android Trio are playing a couple of dates in September /October; their first since Other Worlds was released. In addition to the two shows here, there may be a third added:

ANDROID TRIO
    September 28 - Mama Tried - 787 3rd Avenue @ 27th St - Brooklyn, NY 11232

October 1 - Cuneiform Trio Night at Orion Sound Showcase Series - 2903 Whittington Ave, Suite C - Baltimore MD 21230 - with Desertion Trio [YES! Orion is BACK!]
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wonderful, tempted
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

They would make a great Progday pick.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    They would make a great Progday pick.

Neil
    Talk to Mr ProgDay….
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Talk to Mr ProgDay….
    Done.

Neil