Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TOTO

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

TOTO

The band, not the fictional dog.

Is Toto any good? I only know one or two of their mega hits. What are their three best songs? I'll check em' out on YouTube (or you can post them here for my listening pleasure or displeasure).

They were mentioned on one of the Yes threads, and I just thought I'd ask.

They're simply my favorite band.

Unfortunately, their success has given them a reputation that really isn't in line with their body of work, IMO. These guys are all talented, serious musicians, with Steve Lukather leading the pack on guitar. The drum stool has been occupied by Jeff Porcaro and then Simon Phillips - two of the best.

Their best stuff bridges the gaps between rock, pop, and fusion (they're not a fusion band, but you can tell that they enjoy it - they do have sporadic instrumentals that scratch that itch, IMO).

As a starting point, I definitely recommend their latest (and most likely last ) album, Falling in Between, as it pretty much showcases all that they're about.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

They are not just good, they are excellent. Superb musicianship and great hooks. I have been a fan since their first album came out in 1978 and have seen them a few times, the first time on their Turnback tour in 1981. Great live band. Their first (Toto), second (Hydra) and fourth (Toto IV) albums are their best, but other albums have some solid stuff too.

A few from my favorite Toto album (Hydra):

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Are they any good? I'd say so. A band made up of high-demand session musicians, good writers and a good lead singer. I wasn't much a fan after 1986. Yeah, they were definitely of the AOR ilk o'the day but Isolation from 1984 was a hard rocking album that fell in line with the harder rock I was listening to back then. Then Fahrenheit came out in '86 with its über '80s production and it was nearly indiscernable from the Chicago albums of the same era. I'd say that from '78 thru '84 they had some great songs, great hooks and great riffage. Africa from '82 was a fave of mine for demoing stereos. Their debut from '78 is one of the better debuts by anyone, but they were seasoned vets by this time anyway.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    If Toto's Hold The Line sounds a bit like Sly & The Family Stone's Hot Fun In The Summertime its not a coincidence. I heard a radio interview way back when (I think it was right around the time Africa came out) where they straight-up admit to lifting it.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Are they any good? I'd say so. A band made up of high-demand session musicians, good writers and a good lead singer. I wasn't much a fan after 1986. Yeah, they were definitely of the AOR ilk o'the day but Isolation from 1984 was a hard rocking album that fell in line with the harder rock I was listening to back then. Then Fahrenheit came out in '86 with its über '80s production and it was nearly indiscernable from the Chicago albums of the same era. I'd say that from '78 thru '84 they had some great songs, great hooks and great riffage. Africa from '82 was a fave of mine for demoing stereos. Their debut from '78 is one of the better debuts by anyone, but they were seasoned vets by this time anyway.
    Are you saying that you like Isolation? I do, because it showed that Toto could rock hard. Plus, I love the song Stranger In Town(mainly for the video starring Brad Dourif). I like Africa, because it doesn't sound like any other song(it's kinda artsy). For the longest time, I avoided buying IV like the plague. I eventually bought it from Barnes And Noble when I became a fan of Africa(plus, it was a steal at $6.99). There is no band that sounds and plays like Toto.

debut or iv is the best stuff . myself i just have a compilation

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Are you saying that you like Isolation? I do, because it showed that Toto could rock hard. Plus, I love the song Stranger In Town(mainly for the video starring Brad Dourif). I like Africa, because it doesn't sound like any other song(it's kinda artsy). For the longest time, I avoided buying IV like the plague. I eventually bought it from Barnes And Noble when I became a fan of Africa(plus, it was a steal at $6.99). There is no band that sounds and plays like Toto.
    Isolation is okay, but the vocals are comparatively weak in comparison to the rest of their catalog, IMO. "Stranger in Town" is one hell of a song, as well as "Angel Don't Cry" and "Change of Heart." But if you really want to hear them rock, get Kingdom of Desire. Lukather's on fire on that one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Isolation is okay, but the vocals are comparatively weak in comparison to the rest of their catalog, IMO. "Stranger in Town" is one hell of a song, as well as "Angel Don't Cry" and "Change of Heart." But if you really want to hear them rock, get Kingdom of Desire. Lukather's on fire on that one.
    I think that Fergie was right for that album, but wrong for Toto(if that makes any sense).

Close to my favourite band too.
    Certainly features my fave all round muso's in Paich, Jeff Porcaro and Luke on keyboard, Drums and guitar respectively. Simon Phillips, Leland Sklar, Greg Phillinganes and Nathan East are okay too. Oh - and Joseph Williams is close to my favourite vocalist. When they are cheesy they certainly bring it - but their best is sublime. (Note that lyrics are not high on my list of priorities when assessing music!)
    Cop this!

and this one with Gregg Bisonette

one. of. the. best. bands. ever.

Extremely good band.

I think Kingdom of Desire is an under-recognised classic.

They don't seem to get the recognition in the US they get elsewhere (although since I'm not in the US I may be wrong about that...)

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Extremely good band.

I think Kingdom of Desire is an under-recognised classic.
    Agree on Kingdom of Desire. I saw them touring that album with Simon Phillips on the drums. Great show.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    They don't seem to get the recognition in the US they get elsewhere (although since I'm not in the US I may be wrong about that...)
    The barely play in the US and when they do, they are relegated to clubs with a couple hundred seats. Pretty sad for a relatively popular band that puts a great show.

Could someone list their instrumentals? I'd definitely like to collect those.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    child’s anthem
    the DUNE soundtrack
    don’t stop me now (w./ miles davis)
    jake to the bone
    dave’s gone skiing

anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I only recall them having three instrumental tracks. Child's Anthem (Toto), Jake To The Bone (Kingdom Of Desire) & The Reeferman (Falling In Between).

Totally agree-great band, and I do quite enjoy just about all their albums. Kingdom of Desire is probably one most casual fans have never heard, and it rocks hard plus has a few great ballads. As musicans go these guys are top notch, and great vocalists as well.

Not a hardcore fan, but a fan nonetheless. Some of their material borders on bubblegum and most of their lyrics are attrocious, but they've written some great tunes and as a capable pop/rock band (with tinges of prog and fusion), they're pretty top-of-the-heap! Fantastic players, especially Lukather and Simon Phillips (who replaced the late, great Jeff Porcaro). I've seen them live and they tore it up! They open up and jam a lot more live than they do in the studio, so if you're uninitiated but even remotely interested, you should check out one of their live DVDs.

BTW, one of Steve Lukather's solo albums, "Ever Changing Times" is about as good as any Toto album and sounds a bit like one actually.

I saw them double headlining with Saga back home in Puerto Rico in 2004 and they put an awesome show, very tight live.
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Toto is sort of the textbook example of what I call Respected Player's Syndrome or RPS. Simply put, RPS refers to a certain class of musician, usually very trained, who consistently draws accolades from muso types and wannabe muso types for being such a great player, but whose actual music is usually either sterile technowank or slick corporate schlock. However, you're evidently supposed to listen to it very seriously and nod your head in earnest approval because it involves a high caliber of musicianship and the dude's on the cover of this here musicianly magazine and gets to write a monthly column about harmonic minor scales, chord inversions and whatnot. In Toto you've got a whole freakin' band made up RPSers and the results are pretty much what you'd expect. I can't say I care for'em one bit.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Release the Kraken!

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Toto is sort of the textbook example of what I call Respected Player's Syndrome or RPS. Simply put, RPS refers to a certain class of musician, usually very trained, who consistently draws accolades from muso types and wannabe muso types for being such a great player, but whose actual music is usually either sterile technowank or slick corporate schlock. However, you're evidently supposed to listen to it very seriously and nod your head in earnest approval because it involves a high caliber of musicianship and the dude's on the cover of this here musicianly magazine and gets to write a monthly column about harmonic minor scales, chord inversions and whatnot. In Toto you've got a whole freakin' band made up RPSers and the results are pretty much what you'd expect. I can't say I care for'em one bit.
    Wow, if I didn't know better, I'd think that I accidentally clicked on a punk rock forum. "Muso" ... really?! As in: anybody that has a certain degree of competency on a musical instrument and is capable of understanding music theory is an idiot that can't possibly express any sort of raw emotion through music?

I don't mind in the least if somebody doesn't like Toto, but as great a site as this is, I've learned things about some alleged progressive rock fans' attitudes that I never wanted to know.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with being a muso, per se. Not all musos are RPSers, but all RPSers are musos. Being an RPSer generally requires some combination of muso plus fuzak, yacht rock or eighties music.

hooks!