Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fanny - Anyone Heard Of Them?

I believe there even was a faint Zappa-connection, production-wise and through Reprise Records.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Uninteresting band for the most. Birtha were better.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^Wow, not bad. At first I thought they were 3 piece because they didn't really show the keyboard player until later in the video. I'm not sure I would say they are better than Fanny though. They are just different bands. They are more energetic though.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

Fanny played at the Roxy here in the Lehigh Valley circa 1973 or so

I am now officially a Fanny fan, having known about them for all of 3 or 4 days since the OP. There are 7 tracks total from Beat Club show. They all rock hard and these girls had chops. Would they have made it with this music if they were men? Who knows. So many bands were doing this type of music at the time. But in terms of energy and excitement this is as good as anything I've seen in this genre.

I love Fanny!!! Great band. They were not Prog so go easy on the gals!!!
    The Prog Corner

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    June is here in the Valley helping girls learn to RAWK

http://www.ima.org/about_us.html

A little reference to Progeezer here. If I recall correctly, there was another Fanny titled thread in mid 2019. Coincidentally, a decent quality recording of a show from the band became available on one of the download sites shortly after the thread. Geezer and I both had acquaintance with the band and were minor fans. So we heard the set on our trip to that (last physical) year ProgDay and enjoyed it.

The eons are closing
    ^^ Always a good time for a Geezer story

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Keith Moon’s cover version of “Solid Gold.” Additionally, Fanny are the backing band and backing vocalists on this track. AND it’s the rare Cam Davis lineup (I don’t think any other recordings with her exist, apart from maybe bootlegs):

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The article is really nice and shows how June Millington has had an outsized influence on young women musicians.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Nice vid, but they were no match for Fanny.

I liked both Fanny and Birtha and had vinyls from both.
    Both are my fave all-girls bands, might years ahead of Runaways or 4 Non Blondes (male drummer if memory serves)

I still have the Birtha vinyls (never reissued as CD, I believe) and keep forgetting to hunt down Fanny cds.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post

yup, Birtha was certainly "proggier" sounding, IMHO, but I wouldn't call Fanny uninteresting. They held their own in the ball game

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^Wow, not bad. At first I thought they were 3 piece because they didn't really show the keyboard player until later in the video.
    I'm not sure I would say they are better than Fanny though. They are just different bands. They are more energetic though.
    well on their two studio albums, Birtha certainly is more adventurous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Nice vid, but they were no match for Fanny.

Birtha may not have gone French or German, but they appeared on the OGWT
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There was also a band called Clout, who had a hit in the seventies with a song called substitute.

Yet another female parts connection, clout was sometimes used back then to describe female genitalia...though to be fair even in the UK it was a fairly obscure reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    There was also a band called Clout, who had a hit in the seventies with a song called substitute.

Yet another female parts connection, clout was sometimes used back then to describe female genitalia...though to be fair even in the UK it was a fairly obscure reference.
    Clout were from South Africa and they had a big hit in The Netherlands with Substitute. But clout was never used in South Africa to reference female genitalia. They used a far harsher C word there. Substitute was a great song.

You ask, in uncertain voice, what you should do / As if there were a choice / But to carry on / Miming the song / And hope that it all works out right

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    They were subject to a bit of a scandal when it was found that male session musicians actually played on their album. A second album came out with a mix of male and female members, but their career was over by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I liked both Fanny and Birtha and had vinyls from both. Both are my fave all-girls bands, might years ahead of Runaways or 4 Non Blondes (male drummer if memory serves)
    I'd have a hard time picking my fave all-female bands, because I know too few of them. Out of the limited pool of those I know I'd definitely single out Fanny, The Slits, The Raincoats, and Sleater-Kinney. But there are so many more I haven't heard...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_all-female_bands

How did they manage to leave off Goldie & the Gingerbreads?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - CD available now, vinyl coming soon.
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Fanny in the news today, May 25, 2022: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/25/a...t-to-rock.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    How did they manage to leave off Goldie & the Gingerbreads?
    How come a compilation album of their material never came out? I know they only ever released singles, but such a historically important band needs to have their music more available.

EDIT: It seems that a compilation of all their single sides just came out a year ago, entitled Thinking About the Good Times.
    Last edited by Progbear; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:43 PM.

Already posted that, just 2 posts above yours.