Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEATURED CD : Genesis : The lamb lies down on Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Certainly takes repeated listens to appreciate . Could have done with a lot more Hackett . Can't see him re-creating this album as one of his Genesis Re-visited tours, maybe a trimmed down version is a possibility?
    In Armando Gallo's book, released in the late seventies, Hackett talks about his frustrations about this album. Besides his personal problems mentioned in previous posts he tells he was really upset with Gabriel’s attitude. Gabriel understandably wanted to write all the lyrics, but it took him a lot of time to do so. Then, when all the band arrangements were pretty much done, he came up to lay down his vocal parts. In many instances, according to Steve, he sung over guitar lines or over band parts that were supposed to be instrumental. He says he felt really bad, something as if another painter had brushed over his painting. Then, after the recording of the lamb he attended a gig and overheard someone in the crowd saying that the rest of the band playing the gig would be nothing without the main star – he took this as an unintended personal offense because this was pretty much his feeling at the time regarding the way the press and part of the public was seeing Gabriel and Genesis. As a result, he crashed a glass of wine and cut some tendons in his right hand. He stayed for a relatively long time in the hospital and only one of the band members (Mike?) cared to give him a phone call. The tour had to be postponed and I believe this was the start of more serious feelings about pursuing a life outside Genesis. So, it’s no wonder that he doesn’t play much material from The Lamb in his tours.
    Last edited by Conti; 11-07-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Of the "classic" Genesis era, this is the one that gets the least play. I need more guitar for one thing. Second, it seems rushed, some of the lyrical and musical concepts aren't what they could be. BUT there are many bits of brilliance here.

Check out the live Lamb concerts from Europe Spring 1975. Lots of extra Hackett guitar all over the material.

My ultimate prog record, I got it for Christmas 74 and having discovered it on Christmas Eve the night on headphones was a great experience. Few records I have the same emotional connection. I missed the Genesis show a couple of months later , but saw much later the TMB Lamb show that retriggered memories

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Check out the live Lamb concerts from Europe Spring 1975. Lots of extra Hackett guitar all over the material.
    I remember hearing a boot with Hackett adding a lot of new guitar parts on Grand Parade. Do you have any other examples?

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    I remember hearing a boot with Hackett adding a lot of new guitar parts on Grand Parade. Do you have any other examples?
    I recall there being extra linking music between tracks (dominated by Steve) probably to allow Peter even more costume changing time. But he was also much higher in the mix, because Tony wasn't able to tame him in the concert hall.

My favorite Genesis album and my second favorite album ever. I love every second of it - even if the story is ridiculous...
    The Prog Corner

It's definitely grown on me, over the years, but yes, the story is too obtuse, and it definitely feels "undercooked" in spots. And it just so different compared to the albums around it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it did affect my "Genesis Journey," which only began after they released ABACAB.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I recall there being extra linking music between tracks (dominated by Steve) probably to allow Peter even more costume changing time. But he was also much higher in the mix, because Tony wasn't able to tame him in the concert hall.
    There's a LOOOONG bit of soft noodling between "Supernatural Anesthetist" and "The Lamia" that you can hear on the Archive 1 box set, because that Lamia costume change must have been a killer. (Why Peter didn't do that during Steve's guitar solo is beyond me, unless he needed THAT time as well.) When I saw the Musical Box do The Lamb they did NOT attempt that at all, so there was a really awkward silence between the two songs that made me uncomfortable for the only time during the show.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

A great album - padded out a bit I feel- but the band were still at the top of their game. I think their music and themes sat more comfortably with the 'English' themes of previous albums - but that doesn't takeaway the enjoyment.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    There's a LOOOONG bit of soft noodling between "Supernatural Anesthetist" and "The Lamia" that you can hear on the Archive 1 box set, because that Lamia costume change must have been a killer. (Why Peter didn't do that during Steve's guitar solo is beyond me, unless he needed THAT time as well.) When I saw the Musical Box do The Lamb they did NOT attempt that at all, so there was a really awkward silence between the two songs that made me uncomfortable for the only time during the show.
    There’s also this guitar bit at around 1:40 that isn’t on the studio version.

Hackett then used that bit to make a song in 2003, Rebecca.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    ...... if the band had more time to develop and record the material.
    I think more time often yields diminishing returns. Lyrics are mostly nonsense, but they sound good .... as does the whole album. Not sure I could pick out a hi fly guitar synth LOL. I tend to listen to the live version more than the studio album. Great album that has stood the test of time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    A great album - padded out a bit I feel-
    Well, they were padding out leftover room.

Yes, the Archives 1 Lamb shows more Hackett playing, but that was still in 1974. Fast-forward to Spring 1975 and Hackett's role had intensified for the European audiences.

Last time I listened to Lamb I was taken with what a drumming clinic is it. Some great work from Phil.

^^ This.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Did anyone see Ken Burn’s documentary on the Vietnam War? He uses Ravine in one episode.

I just listened to Ravine, and never noticed until now it sounds a lot like Unquiet Slumbers. Unquiet Slumbers is better though.

Sean was spot on with his focus on the “hero instruments” focus. Because after all, pretty much everything about the rest of the album has long ago been pointed out, dissected, and debated by far more clever folks than us.

Grand Piano. Tony’s favorite instrument. The darn thing is simply one of the most impressive and emotive instruments on the planet. Tony is a fine player. On The Lamb it gives a heft and meatiness to the songs it is on.

Vibes. One of my favorite instruments. Such an amazing invention. Sonically it can do so much. Phil showed a talent for it. On The Lamb he makes it shine in the foreground and background.

Synthi Hi Fi. One of the quirkiest effects around. Steve’s brilliance was fully unleashed through it.

Nylon-string. The subtlety that it allows is used to a highly effective degree by Steve.

The album is not perfect, but it sure shines.

Like a few others have said, This is their best overall album to me! Not one weak moment anywhere!
    So much music....so little time....

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    Did anyone see Ken Burn’s documentary on the Vietnam War? He uses Ravine in one episode.
    Anachronism! Disallowed.

^ Not necessarily; the war was still going on when Lamb was released. Saigon fell on April 30, 1975.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    ^ Haven't seen it, but the ol' google tells me that Ravine was in an episode covering '66/'67.

^ Then he should have used “For What It’s Worth,” like every other documentary that has ever been made about that period.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx