Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Zealot Gene- Jethro Tull

Lyrics are evocative and emotive and free of cliche, melody is fine, really nice flute playing, arrangement is organic and free of dated or annoying sounds. I mean it's no "I'll be yours... dot com" but it'll do

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Peculiar wording in the blurb at the Tull Store/Burning Shed: "Jethro Tull returns with its first album of all-new music for 22 years." Not "their" but "its"?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sorry if this was already posted:

Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    ...I liked the video and wonder why the front cover of the album seems so poorly conceived, whereas there has been some artistic effort put into the video.
    I would assume that "cover" is simply for the single. I'd at least hope he'll pull some images or something from the video. Not that we shouldn't be used to seeing his mug on JT covers at this point. I have to say I was hoping the "zealot" part might apply to today's new secular zealots, and maybe it will - but if he remains historical (even if as an allegory) I'm not so sure of how the thing is going to gel.

I find the lyrics to be decent, which is hardly surprising. But the song itself by itself - meh. It just doesn't go anywhere. Reminds me of the new Yes in a lot of ways. He could have cut a solid minute off of the back end and lost nothing. I think I can safely say this is an Ian Anderson album trying to cash in on the Tull name. I just don't hear a group effort, which TBH is what made Tull of old so great. And really, the 2 things I loved most about the band from the moment I first heard Benefit was Ian's voice and Mr. Barre. And those are painfully absent now. Without a Barlow or Hammond-Hammond or Evan or Palmer or heck, even Jobson to add spice, this comes off as pretty bland. Everybody playing their parts and no more. With lots of flute. Hope I'm wrong, but just not finding anything compelling so far. Things could be so different if he'd just give up the car keys, get a new vocalist or two, some hungry new talent and let them cut loose on your songs and lyrics.

^^ I think you're right, but sadly, Ian seems to think that he IS enough alone to make it interesting. Oh, well, I guess it's interesting to him.

Back cover:

cd back.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian Squid View Post
    I would assume that "cover" is simply for the single. I'd at least hope he'll pull some images or something from the video. Not that we shouldn't be used to seeing his mug on JT covers at this point. I have to say I was hoping the "zealot" part might apply to today's new secular zealots, and maybe it will - but if he remains historical (even if as an allegory) I'm not so sure of how the thing is going to gel.

I find the lyrics to be decent, which is hardly surprising. But the song itself by itself - meh. It just doesn't go anywhere. Reminds me of the new Yes in a lot of ways. He could have cut a solid minute off of the back end and lost nothing. I think I can safely say this is an Ian Anderson album trying to cash in on the Tull name. I just don't hear a group effort, which TBH is what made Tull of old so great. And really, the 2 things I loved most about the band from the moment I first heard Benefit was Ian's voice and Mr. Barre. And those are painfully absent now. Without a Barlow or Hammond-Hammond or Evan or Palmer or heck, even Jobson to add spice, this comes off as pretty bland. Everybody playing their parts and no more. With lots of flute. Hope I'm wrong, but just not finding anything compelling so far. Things could be so different if he'd just give up the car keys, get a new vocalist or two, some hungry new talent and let them cut loose on your songs and lyrics.
    Not picking on this post (Lord knows it has company all over) but it can be summed up thusly: Things are different now at 74 than they were at 24, to which I'd reply "no shit?" Anderson't voice has aged 50 years, some of the musos you're missing have been out of the band for 40 years, what can you really expect, another TAAB? We're as an audience allowed to age gracefully, why can't our musician peers? They can't stay 24, either although I'm sure they would avail themselves of the opportunity if they could, as would we all.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Back cover:

cd back.jpg
    I wonder how he took that profile photograph of himself? I guess with a timer or something. It's a pretty fugly cover. Not him, but the design. Hipgnosis it's not.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    what can you really expect, another TAAB?
    I liked TAAB2 and Homo Erraticus; I just can't take his live vocals any more.
    I'm sure I'll like this one.
    Edit: Aside from the spoken-word tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I liked TAAB2 and Homo Erraticus; I just can't take his live vocals any more.
    I'm sure I'll like this one.
    Edit: Aside from the spoken-word tracks.
    You'll notice he's also speaking behind the singing now undoubtedly to obscure the singing, why harmonize when you can just talk?

I dig it!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I dig it too. Nice vibe, and the vocals sound decent.

There was talk of one more advance track to come before release date, but I haven't heard any more since. I'm expecting promo copies to start flying about in a week or two... looking forward to hearing it from beginning to end!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Things are different now at 74 than they were at 24, to which I'd reply "no shit?" Anderson't voice has aged 50 years, some of the musos you're missing have been out of the band for 40 years, what can you really expect, another TAAB? We're as an audience allowed to age gracefully, why can't our musician peers? They can't stay 24, either although I'm sure they would avail themselves of the opportunity if they could, as would we all.
    You're absolutely right; no one is being forced to buy the thing.or listen to it.

Thank God

I look very much forward to the new album, though I miss Martin, Doane, Andrew and Jonathan. This was the line up that I saw as a teenager and I will always have a weak spot for this specific incarnation.

The new album will be of course just as Tull as "Thick as a Brick 2" and "Homo Erraticus".

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenralph View Post
    I look very much forward to the new album, though I miss Martin, Doane, Andrew and Jonathan. This was the line up that I saw as a teenager and I will always have a weak spot for this specific incarnation.

The new album will be of course just as Tull as "Thick as a Brick 2" and "Homo Erraticus".
    I've been along for the ride since "Benefit" which I heard in the waiter's bunk at Camp Trupin in Colchester, Conn when I was 16, went to the record store after the summer to pick up TW and SU, there have been hits and misses along the way but so long as Ian and I are riding the blue rock together I'm definitely going to give it some spins, you never know what you might find.

the new songs are nice, a bit short but they have that Tull trademark sound.
    but where are the electric guitars?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Even though he left the band to start producing and also began operating his own studio Ian re-hired Florian to play on the album, I'd be surprised if he didn't avail himself of his talents.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Ian Anderson / Flute, acoustic guitar, harmonica, vocals
    Joe Parrish-James / Guitar
    Florian Opahle / Guitar (album only)
    Scott Hammond / Drums
    John O’Hara / Piano, keyboards and accordion
    David Goodier / Bass

Even though he left the band to start producing and also began operating his own studio Ian re-hired Florian to play on the album, I'd be surprised if he didn't avail himself of his talents.
    I think most of the album was recorded in 2017 when Florian was still in the band.