Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Zealot Gene- Jethro Tull

I like it. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    It is not bothersome but Ian has completely found a new home with this melodic/folky vocal pattern he has been using since TAAB 2 and Homo Erraticus that I find less appealing than the rock vocal tone that I so much admired from the 70's and 80's. A matter of opinion. This could be one of the reasons he had Ryan O'Donnell alternating lead vocals for the TAAB I & II tours.

I have been listening to Jethro Tull since 1971 and I could easily identify blindfolded if an Ian Anderson vocal is from the 70's from the one he sings now. I prefer the older one but he's too old to rock 'n' roll
    It's the spoken word pattern that he introduced with TAAB 2 then went to town with it on HE that drives me batty, as diminished as his voice is it's much better with studio sweetening, if I want to listen to someone talk I'll turn on the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    It is not bothersome but Ian has completely found a new home with this melodic/folky vocal pattern he has been using since TAAB 2 and Homo Erraticus that I find less appealing than the rock vocal tone that I so much admired from the 70's and 80's. A matter of opinion.
    Yes, this is where I am. The song itself isn't bad, but Ian's limited range is painfully obvious. It feels like he'll break apart entirely if he goes beyond an octave. I never thought I'd yearn for the days of his Knopfler voice on Crest of a Knave.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Sounds good, in a similar vein to Homo Erraticus which I love so will likely be getting this.

Ian's new talk-singing style is not my cuppa and the spoken word interludes should be illegal. But the riff is good. I hope Ian recognizes that calling a record a Tull record means that there need to be riffs and that it should rock. I think this track gives me some hope that this will indeed be the case.

I just heard this song. It was my first experience of hearing IA's singing on an album since The Broadsword and the Beast. (I'm still discovering the classic Tull catalogue, and still haven't got past the early 8Os.)
    Well, I like the song. It has an old Tull vibe. I wouldn't have recognized Ian's voice if I hadn't known it was him. I hope there's more singing than spoken-word vocals on the album, whatever range he has.
    On a side note, I liked the video and wonder why the front cover of the album seems so poorly conceived, whereas there has been some artistic effort put into the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    There, I fixed it...

Attachment 15559
    Much better, the Hipgnosis version no doubt.

Based on the Shoshana song it's very much in the Homo vein which means i need to hear more before i buy.

Definitely does not give the level of excitement like hearing Velvet Green on the radio before Songs from the Wood was released.
    (streaming The Quest as i type and gotta say i'm not rushing out for this one either)
    Last edited by progholio; 11-05-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I just heard this song. It was my first experience of hearing IA's singing on an album since The Broadsword and the Beast. (I'm still discovering the classic Tull catalogue, and still haven't got past the early 8Os.)
    Oh wow. You have only one more album to go before his voice becomes something completely different.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I'm in. That new tune is good, and the band sounds looser, free-er than on Anderson's last two solo albums (I assume it's mostly the same people?).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I'm in. That new tune is good, and the band sounds looser, free-er than on Anderson's last two solo albums (I assume it's mostly the same people?).
    Think only the geetar player is different but not sure.

I like the tune quite more than I expected to. My last Tull was Roots to Branches. That cover album art however...

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I have a hard time distinguishing a band sound on this track, to me it sounds like Ian is playing everything and going into some program like Garage Band or something.

I actually had a dream last night that I went to see the current Jethro Tull at Kiel Auditorium and fell asleep, pissing people off around me with my snoring.

^My wife and I saw Anderson a few years back. She did indeed fall asleep. Then she woke up, drank some wine and hooted her way through “Locomotive Breath.”
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

and hooted her way through “Locomotive Breath.”

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I actually had a dream last night that I went to see the current Jethro Tull at Kiel Auditorium and fell asleep, pissing people off around me with my snoring.
    After Ian first blew his voice out in the '80s, I had a dream about a new Tull lineup where Ian played flute only and the vocals were handled by an African drummer singing in his native language. (There was also a Swedish guitarist named Johansson replacing Martin Barre; I assume the other musicians were Pegg and Vettese.)

As for the new song, it's substantially better than I expected it to be based on the brief teasers. It sounds to me like it would have fit in well on Dot Com. Vocals are still problematic, though.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Yes, this is where I am. The song itself isn't bad, but Ian's limited range is painfully obvious. It feels like he'll break apart entirely if he goes beyond an octave. I never thought I'd yearn for the days of his Knopfler voice on Crest of a Knave.
    LOL. Next he’ll move on to the Space Whisper style of singing.

My favorite song from Aqualung is......Cross Eyed Mary. There ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    After Ian first blew his voice out in the '80s, I had a dream about a new Tull lineup where Ian played flute only and the vocals were handled by an African drummer singing in his native language. (There was also a Swedish guitarist named Johansson replacing Martin Barre; I assume the other musicians were Pegg and Vettese.)
    Now I would pay to see that!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    My favorite song from Aqualung is......Cross Eyed Mary. There ya go.
    Mine is probably Mother Goose but Mary kicks arse for sure. The intro to that tune alone is brilliant (Cross Eyed Mary).

Mine is probably Mother Goose but Mary kicks arse for sure. The intro to that tune alone is brilliant (Cross Eyed Mary).
    Wind Up for me. I'm such a sucker for verses that repeat but in a different style/tempo. My complaint is that it's too quiet, even on the Wilson remix. Same problem with We Used To Know.

My God would have been my choice, but I much prefer the earlier versions with Cornick which blow the final album version out of the water IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I think it kicks more ass than Locomotive Breath.

Decent tune, those flute trills are almost too perfect. It would sound better with his pre-Crest of a Knave voice.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I assume the other musicians were Pegg and Vettese.)
    How can you make such an assumption in a dream...man???

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

[QUOTE=Progatron;1080882]A New Day magazine posted this cover... make of it what you will.

I'm guessing maybe Hannibal Lecter or Cletus Kasady is now the newest Tull member?

Peculiar wording in the blurb at the Tull Store/Burning Shed: "Jethro Tull returns with its first album of all-new music for 22 years." Not "their" but "its"?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx