Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If Chris Squire retired....

If Chris Squire retired....

He's the one consistent member of Yes as we (and the lawyers) know it. If Chris Squire were to retire (or if his girth reached such a point that he couldn't reach his instrument any more) who would be the most appropriate replacement (in terms of playing style)?

My vote would be for Fairport Convention/Ex-Tull man Dave Pegg, the only player with the requisite combination of aggression and precision who could fill the ample space vacated by The Fish.

It's a Yes thread... Let the personal insults commence!

No Pegg, No Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    No Pegg, No Yes.
    No Squire No Yes ...lets start the petition for him never to leave or retire right now !

billy sherwood, hands down. he was almost in for the TALK-tour 1994 (with squire temporarily sidelined due to a minor heart attack) and ended up tagging along as a 6th augmentary member on that tour. the rest is prog folklore. he can also cover chris’ inimitable backing vocals.

these backing vocals would be my main concern. that factor alone denied ABWH a thoroughbred YES-status. nick beggs? he could replicate the b-vox as well and he channels squire quite well on steven wilson’s latest. and he’s english.

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    He's the one consistent member of Yes as we (and the lawyers) know it. If Chris Squire were to retire (or if his girth reached such a point that he couldn't reach his instrument any more) who would be the most appropriate replacement (in terms of playing style)?

My vote would be for Fairport Convention/Ex-Tull man Dave Pegg, the only player with the requisite combination of aggression and precision who could fill the ample space vacated by The Fish.

It's a Yes thread... Let the personal insults commence!
    You certainly kicked off the insult portion of the thread by going after Chris's "girth". That said, I really think that at this point in the game, YES would hang it up if Chris left for any reason.
    Last edited by Patelena396; 03-17-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    You certainly kicked off the insult portion of the herald by going after Chris's "girth".
    No shit

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I cannot think of any bass players that come close to Chris Squire or John Entwistle, for the combination of speed and dynamism.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    YES would hang it up if Chris left for any reason.
    Agreed. For argument's sake, however, I think that John Jowitt would fit in there pretty well.

Jon Camp

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

I like the idea of Nick Beggs, too.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

If we are talking about someone to just replace Squire as a bass player Randy Jackson, Geddy Lee or Andy West would be some names to consider.

Clearly, you have to go with the closest thing, Chris McGuire.

How about Dave Meros for playing abilities alone.

If we're sitting here creating our "dream bands," there are several names, some of which have already been mentioned:

Dave Meros
    Nick Beggs
    Tony Levin

But, as others have said, if Squire decides to retire, I've a feeling that Yes will finally hang 'em up.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Billy Sheehan

So, based on the petition thread, it seems that, if Jon came back, but Chris left, it would still be time to shut them down? I don't get it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Billy Sheehan
    That would actually be very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, based on the petition thread, it seems that, if Jon came back, but Chris left, it would still be time to shut them down? I don't get it.
    What don't you get? Jon is not in the condition to do the kind of touring that Yes does, especially if they got a younger member. Btw, I think that Trevor Horn could replace Chris Squire. Trevor could just play bass.

Bootsy, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    If we are talking about someone to just replace Squire as a bass player Randy Jackson, Geddy Lee or Andy West would be some names to consider.
    I somehow suspect Yes wouldn't be able to afford Randy Jackson's fee.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I somehow suspect Yes wouldn't be able to afford Randy Jackson's fee.
    Cannot be higher than Trevor Horn's.

What if all the members retired??!! Who would take their places? Would you rather replace a retired Tony Kaye, Rick Wakeman, Patrick Moraz, or Geoff Downes? Would you replace the losses of Banks, Howe and Rabin with a conglomeration of each? No offense to Alan White, but I vote for only replacing Broof! Do you try the impossible of replacing Jon, or do you settle for replacing one if his replacements? That leaves us back to Squire, the only bass player they've ever had. I say you have guest bass players. A different one for each song. It can be like an off-Broadway revue. They can call it YesMania.

I was kind of enjoying when they had Igor on keyboards and Sherwood on bass/guitars - seemed like almost a natural evolution, as Wakeman alluded to.

Oh well.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I was kind of enjoying when they had Igor on keyboards and Sherwood on bass/guitars - seemed like almost a natural evolution, as Wakeman alluded to.

Oh well.
    I thought that Sherwood only played guitar and keyboards in Yes? He plays bass in Circa.

Man, you're freaking nitpicky.

Sherwood plays both bass and guitar. I was alluding that this could be his evolving role in the band.

And besides, the jury's still out as to whether he played bass on Talk.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Man, you're freaking nitpicky.

Sherwood plays both bass and guitar. I was alluding that this could be his evolving role in the band.

And besides, the jury's still out as to whether he played bass on Talk.
    Ah, I get in now.