"I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie
    ELP to Reunite?
    No EL
    No EL
    No EL
    No EL

From the man that brought you the keyboard-less ELP tribute band!

In other news, Rocket 88 just sent out an update on the ELP book, with a video of Carl Palmer previewing the mighty tome...except that when you click on the link for the video, it takes you to Ian Anderson hyping his Silent Singing lyric book.

Edit: Oh god, this is rich. They just sent the email again, only this time the video link isn't a link at all.
    Last edited by Mister Triscuits; 10-29-2021 at 03:45 PM.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    No EL
    No EL
    No EL
    No EL
    Please, it's not even Halloween yet!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Nope.

There’s an idea to run screaming from.

talk to the hand dana reaction.jpg
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Can't Carl just hire actual living people to play with .
    This was my reaction, too. I’d love to see ELP music played passionately and with as much authenticity as possible. The right musicians alongside Palmer could make an “ELP” tour work. Rikard Sjoblom is the name I keep returning to. He definitely has the chops for Emerson’s parts, and I’m pretty sure he can handle the vox, too.

My second thought was this: if the band had been called anything other than ELP (i.e., had they chosen a proper band name fifty years ago), and had Palmer wanted to tour with two other musicians under that other name, would anyone raise much of a stink? Yes tour with no original members. An “Endless Enigma” (not a bad name for a band, right?) touring with only one original member would probably be ok with most fans.

My third thought? I don’t really like 90s ELP, so even if the viddy thing works (which I hope it does, suspect it won’t) … meh? I think “meh” is my reaction.
    Last edited by polmico; 10-29-2021 at 08:48 PM.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

All Carl has to do is get Jordan Rudess and Marc Bonilla. Call it BuRP.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    My second thought was this: if the band had been called anything other than ELP (i.e., had they chosen a proper band name fifty years ago), and had Palmer wanted to tour with two other musicians under that other name, would anyone raise much of a stink? Yes tour with no original members. An “Endless Enigma” (not a bad name for a band, right?) tour with only one original member would probably be ok with most fans.
    Just hire 2/3 of Noddy's Puncture. Boom -- problem solved. Hell, Tom would probably do the gigs for free!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    My third thought? I don’t really like 90s ELP, so even if the viddy thing works (which I hope it does, suspect it won’t) … meh? I think “meh” is my reaction.
    That's the icing on the cake, isn't it? Not only is Carl going out there in this terribly misguided endeavour but he's not even heading out there with the best versions of Greg and Keith on the video replay.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I think it's one thing if it's not your thing - not mine either - but to wish failure? A bit harsh no? Does this affect your life that much? WTF?
    Fair. I personally don't hope it fails - but I do hope Carl reconsiders the whole idea in time for him to either course-correct (by recruiting some live musicians to play with under a suitable tribute name - "Endless Enigma" wouldn't be bad!) or to cancel the thing before any significant money gets ploughed into it.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Winner !!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    This lineup would work for me! If Carl weren't into the concept, I'd take any of the drummers that participated in the Emerson LA tribute concert. I still find the video of that concert incredibly impressive. Rudess's rendition of Tarkus is terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Winner !!

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    This lineup would work for me! If Carl weren't into the concept, I'd take any of the drummers that participated in the Emerson LA tribute concert. I still find the video of that concert incredibly impressive. Rudess's rendition of Tarkus is terrific.
    Marc and Jordan would do it in a pinch. They'd be at his doorstep before he hung up.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I think it's one thing if it's not your thing - not mine either - but to wish failure? A bit harsh no? Does this affect your life that much? WTF?
    Personally, I don't wish Palmer or the crew, etc. any failure, but I'd be glad of the producers, promoters, etc. got the message. IF that's how most feel. I guess we'll see.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    While Carl's at it, he should add Hendrix to see how that would have worked out!

The last guitar/bass/drums line up Palmer gigged with (Paul Bielatowicz- guit. and Simon Fitzpatrick- bass) were a lot better than I expected them to be, they weren't just a paint by numbers rehash. Would much rather be checking out real players going at it than what appears to be proposed. Really hope Palmer isn't just looking to cash in here.

I'm going to pass on the judgement until I see a clip.

So ELP reduced to … Pee? Classy.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    While Carl's at it, he should add Hendrix to see how that would have worked out!
    Don't know if HELP would go down too well with the marketing dept.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

I love ELP going back to my junior high school days but this is such a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Just hire 2/3 of Noddy's Puncture. Boom -- problem solved. Hell, Tom would probably do the gigs for free!
    Now we're talking!! I jammed with them (on bass) online some months ago and they really nail the sound of ELP live (me not so much )

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I found it kind of creepy.
    That’s because it is kind of creepy.
    Remind me...........what day is it tomorrow?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 2 View Post
    The last guitar/bass/drums line up Palmer gigged with (Paul Bielatowicz- guit. and Simon Fitzpatrick- bass) were a lot better than I expected them to be
    Yep, totally. It's a good reinterpretation of the catalogue done a little bit differently. Love the vocal lines done on the guitar or bass. And the youg ones seems to be driving Carl really hard. He sure was not playing like that in the 90s with E. & L.