Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ELP to Reunite?

just wow.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ Yeah, I agree. Going beyond the issues of ethics and good taste, I think the commercial viability of Carl's venture is suspect. Even the live 1990s ELP was not too hot a ticket in the USA and that was back when their 1970s fans were probably just starting to hit middle age, and much more likely to go to shows than they would now.

IMO, Carl is still fantasizing on 1974 ELP and 1984 Asia times. And as you mention, who knows who's gotten into his ear. Not everybody is Genesis (in fact nobody is) who can draw from 2 distinct fan bases and a decade and a half of music. I also can't get mad at the estates for giving the go ahead. While we could never guess what Greg and Keith would say, my thought is they'd be for it - assuming they had family members they were close enough to to want to support after their passing. I mean, what the heck? In the meantime, I'd remind him that he had to sell his custom drumkit for some poor decisions in the past.

As far as a LV show: I certainly see something like this being implemented for say, the Beatles or Elvis, even the Beach Boys. There would be a huge draw for something like that as far as a LV staple. Larger than life, loved by generations worldwide.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody like ABBA jumped on this first. They recently did their '74 concert with avatars, how crazy great an improvement would deep-fake holograms be of the 4 looking like 1975 again? I could say I'd have a totally different opinion if the artists were not only alive, but possibly contributing to the stage show. And of course Kraftwerk would have been all over this back in the day - and might still be! The technology will be used at some point, sooner rather than later. And, it's certainly subjective as to how people feel about it. I'm the type who got mad when Fred Astaire was dancing with a vacuum cleaner. Ultimately it's the market that drives this. I just hope it's done with taste and care.

I also hope I win the powerball lotto.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    re: Elvis, you're about 25 years too late with your "not too far away from bringing back..." comment. The TCB Band have been doing this since the mid 90's. They show videos of Elvis singing, with the vocal track isolated, and the band plays live to the video and audio track. I also remember Zappa Plays Zappa doing that the first time I saw them, were they played along to Frank singing Dumb All Over, and I think there was another number where they played live to one of Frank's guitar solos.
    Video/audio is a bit different than full-on deep fake. In theory with deep fake, they won't be needing any existing previous material. A singers words would emulate Elvis' vocals/intonation exactly, in real time. A dancer's movements would have Elvis of any age mapped onto that projection so he could do everything but pick up an instrument on stage (so far, anyway). We could see Elvis singing War Pigs, with Black Sabbath (damn, that sounds cool TBH), or rapping #$%*! with Lil Naz. We know Elvis performed Blue Suede Shoes a zillion times, I've got no issue with somebody playing along with him on things like that. Sort of like karaoke. And Zappa playing with Zappa? Totes legit. I feel those are tributes or homages. As I pointed out above - Kraftwerk put out literal look-alike dummies for a better part of their shows (and still do I believe).

But would Elvis have rapped expletives? Yeah, this is certainly an extreme what if - and I highly doubt that the Elvis estate would allow that. Other "estates" though...
    But as with any emerging technology, it's rife for abuse. In the end, it's up for the public to decide, and for the industry to push the boundaries of what's accepted. No doubt we'll be seeing John Lennon selling catheters or Jimmy Hendrix reverse mortgages if they can get away with it. I would very much though like to see living bands be younger versions of themselves, either alone or together. Just think, Genesis could have done their recent tour and Phil never would have had to leave the dressing room (or his house for that matter). Sing, play live and your deep fake avatars are jumping around on stage unaffected by time or physics.

I wouldn't pay a penny to watch this..

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    See you on Jamulus again some time!
    Yes would be good. I'm on there quite a bit. Look for a server called: EMERSONLAKEPALMER.

I've mentioned it on a few ELP fan f/b groups, that they could just join and listen.
    Don't seem to be many takers though.
    Was on there last night actually and we had a couple of friends listen in, but most who said they would didn't turn up.

Anyway, look for the server when you're on.
    Cheerz.
    Tom

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    That’s because it is kind of creepy.
    downright ghoulish really
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    This is why I also hope failure for this enterprise.
    I'm not hoping failure, but I'm thinking y'all might want to call Ghostbusters just in case...I'm sure this is going to anger some supernatural entity....or should...

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I'm not hoping failure, but I'm thinking y'all might want to call Ghostbusters just in case...I'm sure this is going to anger some supernatural entity....or should...
    That's a great premise for a movie
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

An Emerson, Lake & Powell hologram tour would free Palmer from any obligation and give him the opportunity to tour with real musicians, but I somehow don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    That's a great premise for a movie
    The deceased musician holograms will start by not playing the tunes properly and soon they will begin to cause all sorts of mischief. Eventually promoters start turning up dead. All the holograms really want is to RIP!

"A prog-rock drummer plots to bring his bandmates back from the grave but gets more than he bargained for in Phantom of the Paradiddle..."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

"Revenge of the Manticore"
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by noddyspuncture View Post
    Yes would be good. I'm on there quite a bit. Look for a server called: EMERSONLAKEPALMER.

I've mentioned it on a few ELP fan f/b groups, that they could just join and listen.
    Don't seem to be many takers though.
    Was on there last night actually and we had a couple of friends listen in, but most who said they would didn't turn up.

Anyway, look for the server when you're on.
    Cheerz.
    Tom
    I sure will, with or without any instrument!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    Just heard about this from the Rolling Stone.com site. I think it's a terrible idea and I hope that it fails.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Just saw this on YouTube:

So the Carl Palmer Band with projections of Emerson and Lake? I suppose someone thought that was a good idea. If this started in 2021 and is touring in 2023, it probably wasn't a bad idea moneywise. Couldn't they use the idea of the Abbatars?

I would favour the idea of Carl Palmer touring with 2/3 of Noddy's Puncture. Of course you miss the projected Emerson and Lake, but perhaps they can project pictures instead. At least you get a real keyboardplayer and bassplayer.

Banned
    I hope they record some of the gigs. We've had countless live concert albums, but never a dead concert album (apart from Grateful) so that would be a novelty.

P.S. Please print my copy on absorbent material so I can wipe my *ss with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    Like Emerson used to do onstage with his Moog ribbon controller?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    I hope they record some of the gigs. We've had countless live concert albums, but never a dead concert album (apart from Grateful) so that would be a novelty.

They could name the album: Live from the death. Or live with zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    They could name the album: Live from the death. Or live with zombies.
    Actually, Iron Maiden has a live album from 1985 titled "Live After Death", they beat Palmer to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Actually, Iron Maiden has a live album from 1985 titled "Live After Death", they beat Palmer to it.
    That album rocks.

Doesn't Palmer first have the long-awaited "ASIA 40th Anniversary celebration winter 2023" tour dates?

Quote Originally Posted by RandallB View Post
    Doesn't Palmer first have the long-awaited "ASIA 40th Anniversary celebration winter 2023" tour dates?
    With John Wetton as projection?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    RJ Dio estate did it and it wasn't creepy or awkward at all

[runs and hides]

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    RJ Dio estate did it and it wasn't creepy or awkward at all

[runs and hides]
    Didn't they use a 3D projection called a hologram, though it wasn't a real hologram?
    With ELP it seems to be just projections on a screen on the background.