Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Porcupine Tree - New advert from Wilson on Twitter

Here's SW talking about guitars and how he loves his custom shop Tele but plays his PRS more...

Wasn't guitar music supposed to be passe'?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It was but now Wilson has revitalized it.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

The comment about Yes is pretty funny. I just read his book and finished it thinking "hm this guy seems pretty mellow, I don't know why people online say he's a jerk."

Quite depressing to see all the reviews saying the best stuff is on the deluxe edition. If they're available for download then I suppose it doesn't objectively matter but I like the idea of having it all sitting on the shelf and I'm not shelling out for the deluxe of an album I expect to regard as basically fine.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    The comment about Yes is pretty funny. I just read his book and finished it thinking "hm this guy seems pretty mellow, I don't know why people online say he's a jerk."

Quite depressing to see all the reviews saying the best stuff is on the deluxe edition. If they're available for download then I suppose it doesn't objectively matter but I like the idea of having it all sitting on the shelf and I'm not shelling out for the deluxe of an album I expect to regard as basically fine.
    I am tempted to buy the deluxe edition but don't like to be taken for a fool by their cynical marketing motives.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    He made it cool again before he made it passé.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Seeing as the deluxe version is a CD/BR set, does that mean the three bonus tracks are only on BR? Or does anyone know if the bonus tracks are also on CD? My main listening is done on cd, so would prefer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    Seeing as the deluxe version is a CD/BR set, does that mean the three bonus tracks are only on BR? Or does anyone know if the bonus tracks are also on CD? My main listening is done on cd, so would prefer that.
    They are on cd too, also on the vinyl deluxe set.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    They are on cd too, also on the vinyl deluxe set.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
    Thanks - now I've really gotta think about this one!

They was fightin words until his sales dropped 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    Thanks - now I've really gotta think about this one!
    So have I. I think that I'm just going to buy the standard cd and then hope the 3 bonus tracks will be available for download separately.

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/cl.../oqqp421laxpmc

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    He made it cool again before he made it passé.
    he made it obsolete then reinvent it

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    It all gets vital with him in it.

For instance, "guitar music" obviously leads to anything Wilson. He's the defining and denominating factor of common ground as concerns "guitar music". Not artists who actually became pretty damn famous (albeit possibly outside of "proggy-prog") for coming up with completely new ways of applying, combining and integrating guitars, as in math rock, noise et al.

Nah. It was Wilson all along.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ Les Paul created the Electric Guitar because he knew Wilson was coming.

^ Wilson is the bill, son.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yep, Les Paul was that voice crying in the wilderness, "He is coming! He is coming! And he will be called the Redeemer!"

Just 3 weeks until PT/CC release date! Hope LaserCD ships my pre-order so it gets to my house on release day. Do they still do that?

Wasn't it Eric Clapton that 'saved' the Les Paul guitar? No one was buying them and it nearly ceased production until Clapton picked one up in the late 60's. The baby Wilson must have told him to do it

Another new interview:

In a recent interview done for French music site Music Waves the band provide a few more details regarding Colin's absence:

You said you played bassist in the studio to record this new album, but you just recently announced that you would be touring with Randy McStine and Nate Navarro. Can we know why Colin Edwin is not part of this reformation? (The former bassist of Porcupine Tree, editor's note).

Steven: You ask a lot of fan-related questions, and I understand you're interested. Fans tend to have a very romantic view of a band's life, but the reality is often different. Colin is a very good musician, but from my point of view, the creative core of the band was the three of us, since "In Absentia". Gavin is interested in rhythms, polyrhythms, Richard is interested in atmospheres and sound design, and I in composition. That was the core of the group.

Does this mean in the future that you will remain Porcupine Tree's bassist in the studio?

Steven: I have no idea! That's the beauty of the situation. And this is reflected in the name of the album, "Closure/Continuation". We don't know what will happen. Will this be our last album? We do not know. I suspect so, but… I like to play bass. Gavin didn't say to me, "Why don't you do the bass yourself, so we wouldn't need Colin?". It wasn't that, it was more: "Oh, a bass! Let's jam!". We developed 'Harridan' and 'Chimera's Wreck' like that in particular. So I said to myself: "Okay, I guess I'm the bass player on this album!". It was not something planned for a long time.

Richard: We are proactive. Gavin, Steven and I are proactive. We kept in touch. Colin was not proactive in the same way.

Steven: The last time I talked to him was in 2010.

Richard: If Colin had written stuff for the band and submitted it to us and called us and said, 'Listen to this', surely things would have been different.

Article here: https://musicwaves.fr/frmArticle.asp...SGAbyAqAPAqTBs
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

It was mildly a shame at first, but I'm well over it. Colin doesn't seem interested, and they are fine without him. End of story, for me.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    It was mildly a shame at first, but I'm well over it. Colin doesn't seem interested, and they are fine without him. End of story, for me.

Neil
    Yeah I'd agree with that. Just seems like a thing which happened organically without much of a story.

Yeah I'd agree with that. Just seems like a thing which happened organically without much of a story.
    Yep, it seems that Colin didn't want to be there anyway. I remember SW saying in an interview in 2011/12 that he hadn't heard from his friend Colin in a long time. Maybe is was he that threw someone's passport out of the tour bus window.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Maybe is was he that threw someone's passport out of the tour bus window.
    This is entirely possible and we will most likely never know the details. It seems that PT has always maintained a high level of discretion when it comes to internal band relations. It took a long time for the circumstances of Chris Maitland's departure to be acknowledged - and in SW's comments in the In Absentia box he talks about how he was putting a lot of pressure on Chris which contributed to the flare-up.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Maybe Colin Edwin and Chris Maitland should form a band called XPT.