Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improved in quality !

Improved in quality !

Which bands improved in quality when an original or previous KEY member/s left or replaced !

Yes - Howe & Wakeman
    Genesis- Hackett
    Journey - Cain & Perry
    Van Halen - Sammy Hagar
    Arena - John Mitchell
    Dream Theater - Jordan Rudess & Labrie
    Thin Lizzy -Robertson & Gorham
    Last edited by Rufus; 03-17-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Or when a key member returned!

IQ - Peter Nicholls

Marillion - Ian Mosley

Van Hagar better than Van Roth?

Ha ha ha ha....I'll crack the jokes thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Van Hagar better than Van Roth?

Ha ha ha ha....I'll crack the jokes thank you.
    X 10 ! Better all round musician! More successful ! Improved them all round !
    You only have to listen to any DLR solo album to know that every other member of VH carried him & was the weakest link !
    Last edited by Rufus; 03-17-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Perry? Really? The first couple of Journey albums are the only ones I can stand...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Hagar was not an improvement. Niether was Cain over Gregg Rolie.

Thin Lizzy? Eric Bell on his own was better than Gorham and Robertson together (and I am not saying they were bad). With Eric Bell, Thin Lizzy recorded many of their best tracks: Buffalo Gal, Things Ain't Working Out, Black Boys On the Corner, Whiskey in the Jar and The Rocker.

Genesis were in trouble before Steve Hackett departed.

The early Journey were great, but had weak vocals, so they changed their style to accomodate Steve Perry. They became a different, although not inferior, band.

ELPowell were okay, but Carl Palmer was essential to Emerson and Lake. Similarly for Captain Beyond when Bobby Caldwell left. Budgie scraped by, with an excellent guitarist in Big John Thomas, when Tony Bourge gave up to become a French polisher, but they were not the same.

As much as I like Bill Bruford and Allan Holdsworth, UK became phenomenal with Jobson moving more to the fore and Terry Bozzio joining on drums. I realise it will be a solitary view on this board.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Which bands improved in quality when an original or previous KEY member/s left or replaced !

Van Halen - Sammy Hagar
    I disagree. I like Sammy better as a solo artist than I do within a group. While I liked the post-DLR stuff well enough, those Van Hagar albums aren't a patch on what came before.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I can't decide if I prefer VH better with the emergency medical technician or the tequila maker...

Banned
    Sammy Hagar vs. DLR?

Sammy's resume alone puts him way over the top. His contributions seal the deal. Better vocals, better songwriter, commanding frontman, and not just another guitar but a bad-ass one at that. It's not even a contest.

UFO when Schenker joined
    Rainbow when Carey & Powell joined.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Sammy Hagar vs. DLR?

Sammy's resume alone puts him way over the top. His contributions seal the deal. Better vocals, better songwriter, commanding frontman, and not just another guitar but a bad-ass one at that. It's not even a contest.
    Yeah, but I still like the DLR VH more.
    Van Hagar suffers from cheezy 80s overproduction.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    UFO when Schenker joined
    Rainbow when Carey & Powell joined.
    Well played Sir.

Here's a sacreligous one:-

Floyd when Gilmour joined.

Crimson when Wetton, Bruford, Muir & Cross joined.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Tull, when Martin joined, and arguably when Barrie came on board, though I think Clive was a monster. Barrie suited when Tull wound up though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Van Hagar suffers from cheezy 80s overproduction.
    I'll give you that, except that nearly everyone suffered from the "cheezy 80s overproduction". When you saw VH live in the 80's, you didn't get that. There was so little guitar-driven stuff back then. Sammy saved that band from 80's obscurity, and possibly rock n' roll in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Perry? Really? The first couple of Journey albums are the only ones I can stand...
    Perry was a great vocalist, and they clearly needed help in the vocals department. Maybe people can criticize them for their more mainstream material -I happen to like what they did between 78 and 83, but it can't be denied Perry was a talented singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Genesis were in trouble before Steve Hackett departed.
    The early Journey were great, but had weak vocals, so they changed their style to accomodate Steve Perry. They became a different, although not inferior, band.
    ELPowell were okay, but Carl Palmer was essential to Emerson and Lake.
    As much as I like Bill Bruford and Allan Holdsworth, UK became phenomenal with Jobson moving more to the fore and Terry Bozzio joining on drums. I realise it will be a solitary view on this board.
    I strongly agree with everything you have to say, except about Genesis. Genesis did two great albums after Gabriel left, I don't know how there can be trouble when you do albums like Trick of the Tail and Wind.

As for ELPowell, Cozy did a fine job on that, and I really enjoy that album a lot. It's still not really ELP, Palmer was missed, and I think it's a big reason that album didn't quite hit it big and the tour suffered. Oh, the concerts were fine, saw a great one in the Meadowlands, one of their few shows in front of a packed arena. Still wish it was a true reunion with Palmer. Black Moon didn't cut it for me, a far weaker effort, despite Palmer finally being back. Not sure what 3 was all about, too much a sound departure. A couple good tunes maybe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Or when a key member returned!

IQ - Peter Nicholls

Marillion - Ian Mosley
    When did Ian Mosley leave Marillion? Or wait, you mean when he joined? I think that King Crimson improved in quality when Bill Bruford joined.

Banned
    I think that Styx left when DDY quit, Yes improved when JA was let go, and Journey improved when Steve Perry left. I don't care if everyone disagrees with me. It is a well-known fact that these guys weren't team players, and the quality of the music with their bands suffered. On a related note, I hope that Queensryche will improve now that Tate is gone. Did anyone buy FU?

Yep.

Glass Hammer...when Aaron Raulston and Alan Shikoh joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Perry was a great vocalist, and they clearly needed help in the vocals department. Maybe people can criticize them for their more mainstream material -I happen to like what they did between 78 and 83, but it can't be denied Perry was a talented singer.
    >shrug< To me, he is the epitome of middle-of-the-road arena rock singers with no personality at all. And, yes, I completely detest their "more mainstream" material: if I never hear "My City By The Bay" or whatever that atrocity is called again, it will be ten years too soon, while "Don't Stop Believing" was when I stopped believing they would ever be good again.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Banned
    >shrug< To me, he is the epitome of middle-of-the-road arena rock singers with no personality at all. And, yes, I completely detest their "more mainstream" material: if I never hear "My City By The Bay" or whatever that atrocity is called again, it will be ten years too soon, while "Don't Stop Believing" was when I stopped believing they would ever be good again.
    It's called Lights. How can you criticize a band if you get the name of one of their songs wrong? Have you actually listened to a full Journey CD? They rocked harder than some of their singles would leave you to believe(just check out Back Talk, Edge Of The Blade, Chain Reaction, Can Do, Escape, or Keep On Running).

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Sammy Hagar vs. DLR?

This man knows what he's talking about.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

While I agree that Genesis improved after Hackett joined, they probably would have improved even if Phillips had stayed. They were growing as a band. And Phillips is a very capable guitarist and songwriter. The Geese and the Ghost is one of my favs, on par with...Voyage of the Acolyte.