Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A dip in quality !

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Slade - without Noddy Holder.
    Did that happen??

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    Floyd-Roger Waters (I'd take any solo RW over any Gilmour pseudo-Floyd)
    Genesis-Phil Collins (what on earth were thinking with CAS??)
    Black Sabbath-Ozzy (actually the Dio stuff was good too, but so different as to be another group, and every other singer was terrible)
    Hundred percent behind you on all 3 of those. PF should have called it a day when RW left, ditto Genesis when PC left, ditto Sabbath when Ozzy left, ditto Queen when Freddie died.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    oh please... cant a guy goof with the title of an album
    anymore?!
    I agree...nothing wrong with calling AMLoR as A Momentary Lapse of Treason or Quality ! Both apply !

PF post RW was just a group of hired hands !
    Last edited by Rufus; 03-18-2013 at 02:36 PM.

i like most roxy music but were they really ever quite as good once Eno left? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Did that happen??
    Yes ...i would also argue for Jim Lea . Him & Holder were the principal song writers !
    They still tour as Slade 2 minus Holder & Lea . They have a new live DVD out !

Sweet still tour with only one original member !

Back to the thread !

Uriah Heep - Byron & Hensley
    Duran Duran -Andy Taylor
    Deep Purple - Gillan & Glover

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I agree...nothing wrong with calling AMLoR as A Momentary Lapse of Treason or Quality ! Both apply !

PF post RW was just a group of hired hands !
    I believe Mssrs. Gilmour and Mason would disagree.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I believe Mssrs. Gilmour and Mason would disagree.
    If Yes , Genesis or Crimson released an album with the same amount of session musicians used on a AMLoR would have been sacrilege ¡

If Yes ... released an album with the same amount of session musicians used on a AMLoR would have been sacrilege ¡
    You've heard of Union?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Floyd-Roger Waters (I'd take any solo RW over any Gilmour pseudo-Floyd)
    I prefer listening to actual songs over political rants (hence, I'll take A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell over Roger's solo records)

Hawkwind-Robert Calvert
    I don't think there was a dip in quality so much as a change in direction. They were more of a straight ahead hard rock band (with the exception of the occasional synth oriented piece), but I think in general, they were just as good as they ever were.

Grateful Dead-Mickey Hart (and later Brent Mydland)
    Wow, now that's the first time I've heard either of those suggestions. I think the band got better when Mickey left. Not immediately, mind you, they went through their "bar band" period during 71, which was awright, but I've said many times that 72-74 was their best era as a live band. If anything, I think the quality went down after Mickey came back, though in fact, the drop didn't really start until more around 78-80, which I think was more to do with Jerry's bad habits.

I think the quality remained even when Brent passed away, in so much that I think they were kinda riding strong circa 87-92. Not as good as 72-74, but they were at least playing consistently good shows again. I think things didn't start going south again until more like 92-93, and there again, it had more to do with Jerry falling off the wagon than it had to do Vince replacing Brent.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Did that happen??
    Yes, both Noddy Holder and Jimmy Lea left the band in 92, and Dave Hill and Don Powell have been touring ever since with a replacements. At first they were calling themselves Slade II, but they eventually reverted back to just Slade.

If Yes , Genesis or Crimson released an album with the same amount of session musicians used on a AMLoR would have been sacrilege ¡
    You know they used a lot of studio musicians on The Wall, too, don't ya?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I prefer listening to actual songs over political rants (hence, I'll take A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell over Roger's solo records)
    QFT! and add The Final Crap as well.. what a soapbox queen Waters is
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

IQ-Martin Orford

BZZZZZT! Wrong answer.

"Frequency" is among their best albums. Top 3, in my opinion, maybe even top 2.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    BZZZZZT! Wrong answer.
    "Frequency" is among their best albums. Top 3, in my opinion, maybe even top 2.
    Prob because Orford was still in the band when the album was wrote ! It's not bad but it's not classic IQ !

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I think the rot had set in well before Keith's demise.....
    I'll disagree as there was a run of albums Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia, By Numbers and Who Are You before Keith died. Granted, By Numbers isn't in the same league as the others but it's not in their worst two or three. Plus, The Who was pretty much Pete and the other guys interpreting Pete's demos. Yes there was a drop after Moon succumbed.

Mott The Hoople- Ian Hunter
    CSN without Young
    Supertramp-Roger Hodgson
    BTO-Randy Bachman
    Allman Brothers-Duane

I also have a mate with me who agrees PF dropped qualities when Waters left !

All three of Gilmour's solo albums are strangley enuff better than his tribute version of PF . Probably because someone else wrote most off the songs !
    Well, your mate's wrong as well. :-)

To be more serious, of course Floyd lost something valuable when Waters left, along with his bitter vitriol (I don't mean that insultingly - that's what gave us those fantastic concepts in the 70s, eg. Animals). But Floyd suffered more when Waters marginalised Wright during The Wall and dispensed with him entirely by The Final Cut.
    The Division Bell is much more a real Pink Floyd album to my mind than either of the two that preceded it.

For me, Yes were never as great after Bruford left.
    I'm also not sure Dream Theater will ever be quite as much to my liking without Portnoy.
    Camel without Andy Ward, maybe?
    Anyone would think I'm a drummer!

So a few other random non-drummer suggestions:
    The Enid without Francis Lickerish
    Karnataka without almost all of the original band (the same could be said of The Reasoning)

I also agree about IQ since Orford left. Not at all bad, but not as great. I really wanted to love 'Frequency', but it's not one of my half-dozen favourite IQ albums. In fact, only Nomzamo gets fewer plays - and at least that has one of my all-time favourite IQ tunes on it! ("Common ground").
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-18-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Eh. PF did drop in quality when Roger left, but that was a symptom of the decay, not a cause. They were going in the pooper when he turned Floyd into his personal back-up band and nothing he or they did since Animals was particularly worthwhile imo, although The Wall made a good movie.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Hundred percent behind you on all 3 of those. PF should have called it a day when RW left, ditto Genesis when PC left, ditto Sabbath when Ozzy left, ditto Queen when Freddie died.
    A Trick Of The Tail and Heaven And Hell are both great albums. Some would argue that Sabbath dropped in quality before Ozzy left, but regained it when Dio joined. How about when Bill Ward left?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    QFT! and add The Final Crap as well.. what a soapbox queen Waters is
    I wouldn't mind the "soap box", the thing is, and I've said this many times, that Roger gets so caught up in making "The Big Statement", whether it's about famine or politics or war or the human race "amusing itself to death", he forgets to write some songs to go along with the message. By that I mean, he doesn't seem to have the gift for writing catchy melodies and hooks that Gilmour has. I think Money is just about the closest thing I can think of to him writing an actual hook. Well, maybe that and the guitar riff on Another Brick pt. 2.

Banned
    I wouldn't mind the "soap box", the thing is, and I've said this many times, that Roger gets so caught up in making "The Big Statement", whether it's about famine or politics or war or the human race "amusing itself to death", he forgets to write some songs to go along with the message. By that I mean, he doesn't seem to have the gift for writing catchy melodies and hooks that Gilmour has. I think Money is just about the closest thing I can think of to him writing an actual hook. Well, maybe that and the guitar riff on Another Brick pt. 2.
    Pink Floyd is prog rock, and prog rock doesn't have hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Thumbs View Post
    I'll disagree as there was a run of albums Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia, By Numbers and Who Are You before Keith died. Granted, By Numbers isn't in the same league as the others but it's not in their worst two or three. Plus, The Who was pretty much Pete and the other guys interpreting Pete's demos. Yes there was a drop after Moon succumbed.
    I would argue the drop in quality had more to do with Pete becoming bored with being in The Who. One could argue part of that there was also the fact that Pete apparently developed a drug problem after Keith died (because as Roger explained it once, none of them apparently dealt with the grief of losing Keith in any kind of sane or functional manner). But I think he was basically bored with The Who, bored with writing songs for Roger's voice, he was tired of being the much photographed visually dynamic guitar god, and let's not forget his ever worsening tinnitus.

I think both Face Dances and It's Hard have some good songs on them, but they both also have their share of mediocre tunes. I think Pete's was feeling his better material at the time was best suited to his voice and required a different interpretation than what The Who might have given them (though I still think Face Dances Part Two, Rough Boys, and Slit Skirts and a few of the other solo tunes would have made great Who songs)

One wonders what might have happened if Keith had not died. Would Pete have still grown disenchanted with the band, or would he have still found his songwriting moving in a direction that wasn't well suitd to The Who?

As for The Allman Brothers Band, once again, I think they were still a pretty happening band even without Duane. There's some good songs on every one of the albums they recorded after Duane died (with the possible exception of Brothers Of The Road, which I still to this day have never heard).

Oh and any run of great albums by The Who has to include The Who Sell Out, which is an awesome record.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 03-19-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Banned
    I would argue the drop in quality had more to do with Pete becoming bored with being in The Who. One could argue part of that there was also the fact that Pete apparently developed a drug problem after Keith died (because as Roger explained it once, none of them apparently dealt with the grief of losing Keith in any kind of sane or functional manner). But I think he was basically bored with The Who, bored with writing songs for Roger's voice, he was tired of being the much photographed visually dynamic guitar god, and let's not forget his ever worsening tinnitus.

I think both Face Dances and It's Hard have some good songs on them, but they both also have their share of mediocre tunes. I think Pete's was feeling his better material at the time was best suited to his voice and required a different interpretation than what The Who might have given them (though I still think Face Dances Part Two, Rough Boys, and Slit Skirts and a few of the other solo tunes would have made great Who songs)

One wonders what might have happened if Keith had died. Would Pete have still grown disenchanted with the band, or would he have still found his songwriting moving in a direction that wasn't well suitd to The Who?

As for The Allman Brothers Band, once again, I think they were still a pretty happening band even without Duane. There's some good songs on every one of the albums they recorded after Duane died (with the possible exception of Brothers Of The Road, which I still to this day have never heard).

Oh and any run of great albums by The Who has to include The Who Sell Out, which is an awesome record.
    Don't you mean if Keith had not died? Don't try and rewrite history. LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Pink Floyd is prog rock, and prog rock doesn't have hooks.
    And yet, Pink Floyd's music is full of them. Think of things like Fat Old Sun, Money, Shine On You Crazy Diamond (specifically the "Syd's Theme" guitar riff), Pigs (3 Different Ones) (I'm thinking of specifically of the E minor to Cmajor7th guitar riff during the intro, as well as the "Ha ha! Charade you are!" refrain), Wish You Were Here itself, Brain Damage, Run Like Hell, Another Brick II, Set The Controls, Astronomy Domine.

Like it or not, the "hook" is an integral part of good songwriting. It's always a good idea to have a few of them amongst your arsenal (or at least the ability to make people think you have a few of them...as Keith Richards has been doing for the last 40 years).

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Don't you mean if Keith had not died? Don't try and rewrite history. LOL!!
    And can't you recognize a typo and poor proofreading when you see it? Don't such a snarky little brat! LOL!!!!

Banned
    And can't you recognize a typo and poor proofreading when you see it? Don't such a snarky little brat! LOL!!!!
    Oh, I honesty. Thought that you thought that Keith was alive. Like those people that think Elvis and Jim Morrison are alive.
    Last edited by JIF; 03-19-2013 at 04:48 AM.