Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited 2022 Tour - SECONDS OUT + MORE!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandallB View Post
    You know what I was thinking while watching the Hackett show here in Phoenix? How he actually quit Genesis during the mixing of Seconds Out and here he is playing it in sequential order. Also, about how much mileage he's been getting out of the music of a band he hasn't been a member of for 45 years. Daryl Stuermer started doing solo band shows playing stuff from ATTWT onwards until Phil, and then later on Genesis, decided to tour again. I'd be more interested in that going forwards than these revisited Hackett shows.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

You know what I was thinking while watching the Hackett show here in Phoenix? How he actually quit Genesis during the mixing of Seconds Out and here he is playing it in sequential order. Also, about how much mileage he's been getting out of the music of a band he hasn't been a member of for 45 years. Daryl Stuermer started doing solo band shows playing stuff from ATTWT onwards until Phil, and then later on Genesis, decided to tour again. I'd be more interested in that going forwards than these revisited Hackett shows.
    He’s also 72 years old, an age where most geezers do nothing, and he’s out on the road filling arenas. This is what he wants to do in his elderly years, and I think that’s admirable.

He quit Genesis when he was 27, and really did go his own way in his post Genesis youth years, barely playing Genesis songs live back then (except for Horizons and a few others here and there).

Definitely don’t mind him doing genesis it gets the seats filled and allows him to come out to California (he hadn’t come here in like 15 years before genesis revisited started)

I'll consider myself lucky then in that I wasn't going to see Steve per se, who I've only seen live once before, in '86 with that other Steve. As previously stated I had other motivation, I didn't look at any setlists, videos etc. of the tour beforehand. Didn't think too much about Seconds Out, was simply happy to be seeing a show again after soooo long and at one of my favorite local venues too.

Even though he wasn't the focus of my attention, there's no doubt that Steve has still got it. The "Devil's Cathedral" is an f'ing great live track & I got my 'Backstage' moment in spades with their rendition of "I Know What I Like". Color me happy, I loved it!

If Stuermer stuck to doing Genesis up to Duke, and perhaps a few songs after. Otherwise, I would have to sit through too much garbage. Are you being sarcastic?
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    I got my 'Backstage' moment in spades with their rendition of "I Know What I Like".
    Not sure what this means...
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    If Stuermer stuck to doing Genesis up to Duke, and perhaps a few songs after. Otherwise, I would have to sit through too much garbage. Are you being sarcastic?
    When I saw Stuermer's solo show in 2015 he played: Behind The Lines/Duke's End, Throwing It All Away, No Son of Mine, I Can't Dance, In Too Deep, Land of Confusion, Deep in the Motherlode, Squonk, Just a Job to Do, Invisible Touch and Turn It On Again.

He also added Shock the Monkey, Something Happened on the Way to Heaven, as well as a couple originals.

After the show I asked him "No Firth of Fifth?" He replied sarcastically "I'd have to learn that one".

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Maybe he got to chat with Steve during the woodwind solo?

When I saw Stuermer's solo show in 2015 he played: Behind The Lines/Duke's End, Throwing It All Away, No Son of Mine, I Can't Dance, In Too Deep, Land of Confusion, Deep in the Motherlode, Squonk, Just a Job to Do, Invisible Touch and Turn It On Again.

He also added Shock the Monkey, Something Happened on the Way to Heaven, as well as a couple originals.

After the show I asked him "No Firth of Fifth?" He replied sarcastically "I'd have to learn that one".
    I remember being outside the stadium in summer 1986 for a Genesis show, and hearing the sound check. Someone kept doing the “I Go Swimming” bass riff, I assume it was Stuermer. That song was on the radio a lot then.

And yet you're at the show spending your hard earned $ to watch, I make it a point to see Steve once a year when he comes my way, I love the music, his band are top musos, the arrangements are to my liking (I could do without Rob Townsend's sax but you can't always get what you want), and usually there are plenty of paying folks around me, I'd say Steve did just fine for himself and that's alright by me.

It's heresy what I speak!

I've been seeing Hackett every time he's passed through Phoenix. I bought my ticket for his most recent show back sometime last year. Perspectives can change during that time. Sure, there were a lot of old timers whooping it up over the old Genesis tunes.

But for me, after spending a week on Cruise To The Edge, it didn't excite me anymore after seeing bands like Riverside, Haken, Klone and Pain of Salvation. Even the new material from Transatlantic, The Flower Kings, Patterm-Seeking Animals, Marillion and Lifesigns was better than the two new Hackett songs that were featured.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Maybe he got to chat with Steve during the woodwind solo?
    Nope, check my 1st post in this thread. I'm referring to this this!

It's heresy what I speak!

I've been seeing Hackett every time he's passed through Phoenix. I bought my ticket for his most recent show back sometime last year. Perspectives can change during that time. Sure, there were a lot of old timers whooping it up over the old Genesis tunes.

But for me, after spending a week on Cruise To The Edge, it didn't excite me anymore after seeing bands like Riverside, Haken, Klone and Pain of Salvation. Even the new material from Transatlantic, The Flower Kings, Patterm-Seeking Animals, Marillion and Lifesigns was better than the two new Hackett songs that were featured.
    I get tired of listening after festivals, including ROSfest, for awhile. I saw Hackett before ROSfest, and what was great was the sound quality and improvisation. It's sort of a dick thing to state that any group of people old or other, are the ones most likely to appreciate that music. I saw the Paul Green School of Rock perform Genesis songs as part of graduation exercises. This "old" music is a great challenge for these kids. Jon Anderson and the Paul Green Rock Academy were amazing at ROSfest.

I could handle that show, but I will not listen to one of the worse songs ever, "I Can't Dance".

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    afterglow on its own particularly feels a real strange decision.
    That's how it is on Seconds Out, and it feels sort of like an orphan there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    I was kinda looking forward to hearing a more straight take on ‘know what I like’ with a cool guitar solo referencing other tracks (seconds out version is probably my favorite) and most importantly the stagnation reference.
    And here I agree with you that it was sort of an odd Seconds Out tribute, sticking exactly to some parts but then deviating wildly in others. I did feel like the "Let's celebrate the live album where I decided to quit Genesis in a show that is largely a tribute to my time with Genesis" was a bit weird. But it's his show and he can do whatever he wants. Overall, I felt it was powerful and effective, and I found myself unexpectedly getting caught up in places, which is always a sign of a good concert.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I could handle that show, but I will not listen to one of the worse songs ever, "I Can't Dance".

Absolutely! Why choose to play that rubbish?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Absolutely! Why choose to play that rubbish?
    The moon turned to blood the other day, and I agree with a Rufus post.

Signs of the Apocalypse.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

No "Renaissance" or "New Country"?

Check out Steurmer's work here:
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 1 Day Ago at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    No "Renaissance" or "New Country"?

Check out Steurmer's work here:
    His work with Jon Luc Ponty is outstanding! Maybe his best.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    And yet you're at the show spending your hard earned $ to watch, I make it a point to see Steve once a year when he comes my way, I love the music, his band are top musos, the arrangements are to my liking (I could do without Rob Townsend's sax but you can't always get what you want), and usually there are plenty of paying folks around me, I'd say Steve did just fine for himself and that's alright by me.
    I think some people tend to forget that before Steve started doing the “Genesis Revisited” thing he was pretty much unable to tour North America. Yes, he would play the occasional couple of shows or festival, but he could not draw enough people to do the more comprehensive tours that he does now. Personally, I would love to hear him do more of his solo stuff in his shows as I think his solo output is for the most part excellent, but that is not what draw in the people. I feel very fortunate to have had the chance to see Hackett as many times as I have in the past 25 years. There was a time when I never thought I would get the chance to see him.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think some people tend to forget that before Steve started doing the “Genesis Revisited” thing he was pretty much unable to tour North America. Yes, he would play the occasional couple of shows or festival, but he could not draw enough people to do the more comprehensive tours that he does now. Personally, I would love to hear him do more of his solo stuff in his shows as I think his solo output is for the most part excellent, but that is not what draw in the people. I feel very fortunate to have had the chance to see Hackett as many times as I have in the past 25 years. There was a time when I never thought I would get the chance to see him.
    It's interesting, it seems to me that Hackett playing his Genesis shows is now a bigger live draw and puts on a better live show than current day Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    It's interesting, it seems to me that Hackett playing his Genesis shows is now a bigger live draw and puts on a better live show than current day Yes?
    Absolutely right on both counts. The Cardiff show last autumn we went to was simply stunning, and he really captured the imagination and admiration of my 20 year old son, which is fantastic.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    His work with Jon Luc Ponty is outstanding! Maybe his best.
    Absolutely! His best!!

I saw JLP a number of times, several of them with Daryl. That two-guitar format was wonderful. Lievano and Ponty would often trade off solos. Completely different styles and tones. A real delight. JLP always had the best players.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Agreed, but it's not quite apples and oranges. Steve is not saying that he IS Genesis, so he can put his bands together at will, and he has put together a fantastic band that does great justice to the material (I'm one of those people who like when the arrangements change over time, and I unapologetically love what Rob Townsend brings to the band).

Yes has a presumed "legacy", needing as many long-time members as possible, regardless of whether or not they can still bring it to the stage, or whether the line-up is appropriate for the material they are trying to present.

Looks like Jon A. will be taking the Hackett approach moving forward.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble