Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monarch Trail, new album "Wither Down"

Monarch Trail, new album "Wither Down"

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted anything for quite a while, (but I check out the threads quite often), but we have a new album out now. So far, we're available on bandcamp (It's been doing well there so far, thank you to those who have bought it!) and soon to be available through Laser's Edge.

Also, if you're in Japan, the UK, Germany or France, we're respectively at Garden Shed, Caerllysimusic, Just for Kicks and Cosmos music very soon, if not already.

If you're in Ontario, Records on Wheels in Dundas is carrying the album, plus Michel Bilodeau (Terra Incognita) in Quebec has it available soon.

If you like, please check out the links below to youtube and bandcamp.

Cheers and thanks!

Ken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9fNyDEtcY
    https://monarchtrail.bandcamp.com/album/wither-down
    Last edited by Ken Baird; 10-23-2021 at 09:13 AM.

Purchased! I really enjoyed the first two albums and have high expectations for this one as well. Your group never fails to make music that is pleasing to my ears, head, and heart. Thanks for the heads-up, Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Purchased! I really enjoyed the first two albums and have high expectations for this one as well. Your group never fails to make music that is pleasing to my ears, head, and heart. Thanks for the heads-up, Ken!
    Thank you so much Bruce, and for buying the album! (I saw your name on Bandcamp) Really glad the music reaches you in a good way! Thanks also for enjoying the first two

Ken

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Listening to this now - it’s excellent! FFO Tony Banks. I just purchased the CD - ordered it from Bandcamp so I’d have it in my collection there. I think this will end up in my top 10 albums for the year. It’s that good on first listen! Great symphonic Prog.

- Jed

Yeah, this was my summation as well. It hooked me right from the first listen. Great stuff from Ken Baird & Co.!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Listening to this now - it’s excellent! FFO Tony Banks. I just purchased the CD - ordered it from Bandcamp so I’d have it in my collection there. I think this will end up in my top 10 albums for the year. It’s that good on first listen! Great symphonic Prog.

- Jed
    Thank you so much, Jed! I sent that off yesterday morning as you're probably aware, but thanks again for the purchase and nice comments here! Ken

Yeah, this was my summation as well. It hooked me right from the first listen. Great stuff from Ken Baird & Co.!
    Thanks very much once again, Bruce! ken

Banned
    I purchased "Sand" from Syn-phonic last year and liked it a lot. Looks like the new release allows you to stretch out a little more based on the length of the cuts; that's a good sign for me to pursue it, once Greg Walker gets it in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I purchased "Sand" from Syn-phonic last year and liked it a lot. Looks like the new release allows you to stretch out a little more based on the length of the cuts; that's a good sign for me to pursue it, once Greg Walker gets it in stock.
    Thanks a ton for purchasing and enjoying Sand! I must contact Greg soon, thanks for the reminder here. Really behind on that. There's no track as long as "Sand" on here, but there are three songs ten minutes or more. Thanks! Ken

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm listening to Sand now for the first time. If you like it (as you do), you'll definitely want "Wither Down!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm listening to Sand now for the first time. If you like it (as you do), you'll definitely want "Wither Down!"
    Thank you, Jed! Glad "Sand" sounds good to you as well!

Ken

Banned
    Yes, and 'Wither Down" is garnering high praise and ratings on PA with a current rating of 4.15, with 40% rating it 5 stars!

Gnosis hasn't reviewed it yet however, I imagine it might score higher than "Skye" or "Sand". Of course, recall that you are fighting that "Neo-Prog" label on Gnosis which oftentimes creates a presumption of negativity there. I am adding to my list of sure things to order later this year or early 2022.

Yes, and 'Wither Down" is garnering high praise and ratings on PA with a current rating of 4.15, with 40% rating it 5 stars!

Gnosis hasn't reviewed it yet however, I imagine it might score higher than "Skye" or "Sand". Of course, recall that you are fighting that "Neo-Prog" label on Gnosis which oftentimes creates a presumption of negativity there. I am adding to my list of sure things to order later this year or early 2022.
    Thanks so much, Sunrunner2!

Heard a track a week or 2 ago, probably on progrock.com. Was working around the house while the station was streaming and this caught my attention a couple times. Ordered it today.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Heard a track a week or 2 ago, probably on progrock.com. Was working around the house while the station was streaming and this caught my attention a couple times. Ordered it today.
    Thanks, Jimmy!!!

I should also comment on the whole "neo-prog" thing. I wasn't all that surprised that progarchives decided that is the sub-category they'd put us under. It doesn't fully fit, but it's sometimes not all that far off either.

I'd say a few of our songs do fit the "neo-prog" category (such as "Echo" from the new album or "Back to the Start" from the last one) but many other songs maybe don't really fit that at all. But who knows, really? Labels are weird.

Yeah, neo-prog doesn't seem an accurate fit at all for Monarch Trail. Symphonic prog seems much more appropriate.

I've listened several times and I really like what I hear. Well done, Ken!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Yeah, neo-prog doesn't seem an accurate fit at all for Monarch Trail. Symphonic prog seems much more appropriate.
    Thanks Bruce, I think you're probably right? Again, I don't fully know, so let's say "Yes, you're right!"

I think the way I have heard about these terms it is something like:

Neo-prog: Mainly refers to the early 80's "second wave" of prog bands from the UK such as Marillion, IQ, Pallas, Twelfth Night etc.. And something about them all being influenced by Genesis in particular, but with newer more streamlined elements. I've heard also of Saga being referred to as the first Neo-prog band somewhere or another

Oh! And I also heard of Yes-"Parallels" being described once as "the first neo-prog song"? These are the things I have read about the place about that term. I think it fits the more "streamlined" approach to a degree.

and Symphonic Prog: Sounds like or influenced by Yes in their heyday I think that's the only thing I've heard about that term!?

So I find it all pretty mind-boggling!
    Last edited by Ken Baird; 11-20-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    I've listened several times and I really like what I hear. Well done, Ken!
    Thanks so much, Kevin! btw, I am going to check out/download your Christmas music soon! Saw that on here above this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baird View Post
    Thanks so much, Kevin! btw, I am going to check out/download your Christmas music soon! Saw that on here above this thread
    Thanks Ken! I'm just saying the truth. I've been a fan of your music ever since I was intrigued by an interview in (I believe) Progression Magazine years ago and checked out one of your solo albums. I think this new Monarch Trail album may be my favorite of your releases to date! And thanks for the comment about my Christmas music. I've always loved Christmas music, and I've tried to release at least a song a year for the past 6 or 7 years, with one group or another. It's a rewarding effort, and I hope it brings someone a bit of the joy that Christmas music has brought to me throughout my life. Best wishes with the new release! And get to work on the next one!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    Thanks Ken! I'm just saying the truth. I've been a fan of your music ever since I was intrigued by an interview in (I believe) Progression Magazine years ago and checked out one of your solo albums. I think this new Monarch Trail album may be my favorite of your releases to date! And thanks for the comment about my Christmas music. I've always loved Christmas music, and I've tried to release at least a song a year for the past 6 or 7 years, with one group or another. It's a rewarding effort, and I hope it brings someone a bit of the joy that Christmas music has brought to me throughout my life. Best wishes with the new release! And get to work on the next one!
    Thanks again, Kevin! And you're right, I think that would have been the Progression Magazine interview which came out in 2002 I think. Thanks so much for enjoying the new one, possibly as the best one! Yes, the new release I'll be working on it over the Christmas holidays and into January with finishing off the demos.

I look forward to checking out your takes on Christmas music very soon, maybe on Bandcamp Friday on Dec third or before (I think you said these were free anyway, but it's just because I have a list of music I need to check out/buy and that's a day I have in mind.

Thanks, Kevin!!!

Ken, I was in Looney Tunes in Burlington yesterday and looked for your CD, but I guess you haven't made it over the Skyway bridge yet.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Ken, I was in Looney Tunes in Burlington yesterday and looked for your CD, but I guess you haven't made it over the Skyway bridge yet.
    oh wow, I don't think I knew of that store before, but I looked it up--looks cool! I don't even need to go on the Skyway to get there, it's about 20 minutes away (I'm in Dundas). I can even take the scenic route I think I may know you, Progatron? Maybe, maybe not, but local "prog people" are cool! Anyway, I might be able to check that store out soon and see if they want any copies. For now, the only local store I'm at is Records on Wheels in Dundas. Thanks for looking for the album! Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baird View Post
    I look forward to checking out your takes on Christmas music very soon, maybe on Bandcamp Friday on Dec third or before (I think you said these were free anyway, but it's just because I have a list of music I need to check out/buy and that's a day I have in mind.

Thanks, Kevin!!!
    Uh oh...
    I don't mean to derail your thread, so this is the last mention I'll make of my Christmas music. When I put those FtM songs out I did put them for free the years I released them as singles. But to be honest, I couldn't get people to listen for anything. I think there's some truth to the saying that if you give something away for free, folks tend to think it must have no value. So after I put out the actual NOEL album, digitally and on CD, and had incurred quite a bit of expense, I did end up putting the songs up to $1 each. I'm still not getting rich off of them, but I have sold a handful of downloads. Anyway, just a quick clarification. And I guess those posts on PE are too old for me to edit? For whatever reason, it won't let me.

Anyway, now back to Monarch Trail. Check this album out folks...You won't regret it! And the previous ones as well! It's good stuff!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net