Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When an artist that you like records something that makes you say "what"!!???

Banned
    Hearing Gates Of Delirium, Sound Chaser, Machine Messiah, and the the whole of Tales From The Topographic Oceans were WTF moments for me. Tales was so trippy, while the rest were heavy and insane(especially the "cha, cha, cha's").

For my money, Pat Metheny's Zero Tolerance For Silence is still the uncontested WTF album of all time.

I don't think Summer Dancing is the best song in Camel's catalog, but I prefer to hear it than Remote Romance.

Magma's 'Merci' had to have long-time fans grimacing at the time of its release.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    I'm not one of them, but I know of several people who threw up their hands when Tangerine Dream released Tyger.
    I'm with you here although I threw up my hands with TD's Dante trilogy. I tried and tried but sometimes an album, especially a change in direction, takes multiple spins to get it. No luck. Give them points for trying something new. Just as striking, was TD's DreamMixes 1. Hate it but volumes 2,3 and 4 each improve quite a bit over the previous with 3 and especially 4 still finding their way on the player often.

^^^ I only have Inferno. Which is why I don't have the others.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    the first time I heard "Another Brick in the Wall" on the radio, prior to the album's release - we'd spent a couple of years delving into the murk of Animals and found this disco-single pretty shocking;

That wouldn't be my Pink Floyd moment. Mine would be Umma Gumma, the studio album. After PATGOD and ASOS that was a definite shock - in a good way. Definitely a 'where did that come frrom' ?
    There's nowt so queer as folk

Gentle Giant-Giant For A Day aka POP/Rock band for a day.

Trimuvirat-A la Carte

Genesis-Abacab,Genesis,Invisible Touch,We Can't Play....um...I mean Dance.

Pink Floyd-The Final Cut.....it's also David Gilmour's WTF? album.

ELP-Love Beach

Jack Bruce,Billy Cobham,Clem Clempson,David Sancious-I've Always Wanted To Do This(one of my most disappointing experiences....I got through it after forcing myself to venture past side 1 and at the end of side 2 returned it for something else.)

Hawkwind-It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous(thank goodness I was only borrowing it.)

Jack Knife-I Wish You Would(look up 2 paragraphs)

Frank Zappa-Thing-Fish(couldn't dump it fast enough)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by saatuk View Post
    That wouldn't be my Pink Floyd moment. Mine would be Umma Gumma, the studio album. After PATGOD and ASOS that was a definite shock - in a good way. Definitely a 'where did that come frrom' ?
    My picks were also WTF in a good way.

Back in the day, my biggest WTF moment was Mike Rutherford's Acting Very Strange. I was 17 and I was a big fan of Smallcreeps Day. I recall to this day the absolute disappointment that I felt listening to AVS the day that I picked up the album when it was released. Over time, I came to find a bit of merit with the album, but it is still a major letdown. Even from a pop perspective, the first Mike & the Mechanics is much better than AVS. I think Mike was going for a Police vibe on AVS, even employing Stewart Copeland on the album. Whatever he was going for, it just didn't really work.

Merci did make me wonder what was up. But it has grown on me a great deal.

I always think of Lou Reed and Metal Machine Music...
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    For my money, Pat Metheny's Zero Tolerance For Silence is still the uncontested WTF album of all time.

I don't think Summer Dancing is the best song in Camel's catalog, but I prefer to hear it than Remote Romance.
    For years I have heard this about PM-ZTFS,why? I ask because I have not heard any of it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Along with Metal Machine Music.

When On The Corner first came out I said WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Disco? Not to my ears. I hated disco with a passion at the time, and other than a steady beat, I don't find anything close to disco about that song. Now when I first heard "the Final Cut", that was shocking how incredibly boring it was.
    Didn't think of that as disco myself , but I was somewhat dumb-founded to find that the song was played in some discos in Continental Europe.... Dito with TRS Miss You: I didn't think it was disco, though I knew it was played in them... I was much more shocked at that horrendous funk shit of emotional Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm a big Finnegans Wake fan and love their Avant Chamber sound. I'd been warned that The Bird And The Sky Above was a bit of a radical departure into free jazz but I thought I'd give it a chance. I've been trying ever since but I think I'm going to have to eventually give up. It just isn't for me.
    Yeah, I think everyone FW fan thinks of the same.... For that matter, I still have to take a chance on their follow-up (and latest so far) album... Is it a return to their previous stuff (4th was absolutely wonderful)

Quote Originally Posted by robinslick View Post
    Anything Jethro Tull did after Thick as a Brick. Though I may revisit Passion Play. Not sure if it's a good idea...loved that band so much I don't want to experience that disappointment all over again. But I do notice that probably due to the fact that there's such craptastic music out there now, I may feel kinder towards it because I've experienced that with other records I dismissed from that era.
    I'm kind of with you on this... They simply never equalled themselves after TAAB and a few of their future albums are WTFs for me (not just TOTRnR, but War Child and APP)...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    For years I have heard this about PM-ZTFS,why? I ask because I have not heard any of it yet.
    For yucks I took the McCartney Helter Skelter vocal track that was circulating around, and I mixed it with most accessible track from ZTFS, with predictable results. You can hear it here, until the site decides that I'm cutting into record company revenues and pulls it down.
    https://soundcloud.com/chickyraptor/helter-metheny

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    When On The Corner first came out I said WTF.
    Unique among the Miles box sets, the Corner one revealed that the best stuff was left on the floor.

Jon Anderson's "City of Angels" disk. A few decent moments here'n'there, but otherwise? Ew. What was he thinking?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Yeah, I agree. I'm personally fine with Tyger, and "Alchemy of the Heart" is a great song. But I do know of some of the hardcore 70s era fans who pointed to that album as an excuse to stop listening to them, at least for a while.
    Well I had only been listening to them less than 2 years when this came out, and was still overwhelmed but the vast number of strong albums by them. One "clunker" (an exaggeration really) wasn't going to stop me.

^^^ I only have Inferno. Which is why I don't have the others.
    Same here. I figureed 45 TD albums was enough anyway. I do think I may end up getting the 5 Atomic Seasons, I've good things about that series of albums, and did hear promising samples. Otherwise, I'm done buying more TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm kind of with you on this... They simply never equalled themselves after TAAB and a few of their future albums are WTFs for me (not just TOTRnR, but War Child and APP)...
    I guess Minstral In the Gallery, Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses didn't do it for you? After that, I could see long time fans losing interest in new material. For me those three are terrific Tull albums.

I have one, Queensryche's Q2K album. Unlike a lot of fans, I really enjoyed "Hear in the Now Frontier", it was just a good rock album, period, even if it was missing most of the metal element. But then Q2K comes out, and I think I liked the one song they were pushing, but the album just sounded like a different band. Minimal production, its as if they just left their instruments plugged in to the same exact setting for the whole session. I never associate the description of "raw" to Queensryche music, so this really threw me off. I ended up retuning the disc, and haven't bought anything of theirs since, aside from the live retrospective they actually recorded on the Q2K tour. Lots of classic stuff, and well, the one Q2K song I actually liked.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm a big Finnegans Wake fan and love their Avant Chamber sound. I'd been warned that The Bird And The Sky Above was a bit of a radical departure into free jazz but I thought I'd give it a chance. I've been trying ever since but I think I'm going to have to eventually give up. It just isn't for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, I think everyone FW fan thinks of the same.... For that matter, I still have to take a chance on their follow-up (and latest so far) album... Is it a return to their previous stuff (4th was absolutely wonderful)
    It is closer to the style of 4th but it's not up to the standard of Blue, 4th or Pictures IMHO.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Jon Anderson's "City of Angels" disk. A few decent moments here'n'there, but otherwise? Ew. What was he thinking?
    I guess I'm not surprised by most anything Jon does, although I love parts of City of Angels (Its On Fire, New Civilization, Top of the World) there are albums of his that I could sure react that way too, like The More You Know or Angels Embrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Back in the day, my biggest WTF moment was Mike Rutherford's Acting Very Strange. I was 17 and I was a big fan of Smallcreeps Day. I recall to this day the absolute disappointment that I felt listening to AVS the day that I picked up the album when it was released. Over time, I came to find a bit of merit with the album, but it is still a major letdown. Even from a pop perspective, the first Mike & the Mechanics is much better than AVS. I think Mike was going for a Police vibe on AVS, even employing Stewart Copeland on the album. Whatever he was going for, it just didn't really work.
    When I saw the thread title this was the first example I thought of, I see I'm not the only one. I was a bit older than 17 :^) at the time but I was flabbergasted when I heard Acting Very Strange because I had enjoyed Smallcreep's Day very much. I got rid of AVS right away.

Another case that I don't remember enough to say much about was when I heard Borderline by Mahl Dynasty and was very disappointed after having enjoyed Parallel Eccentricities and The Clever Use of Shadows so much. I got rid of Borderline rapidly too.

When Jane Siberry released Bound by the Beauty after The Walking. But it didn't take long to realize what a good album Bound is.

Okay yes, Acting Very Strange is probably the best example. Honestly, I was never much enamored with Mike & The Mechanics either, the only song that I really liked was an instrumental b-side called 'Too Far Gone'. If only Mike explored this territory more. I much prefer Bankstatement.

Kate Bush - The Red Shoes had this effect on me too, though there were moments on it...