Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First concert since Before Times?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

First concert since Before Times?

Friday night we saw Rick Wakeman at the venerable Academy of Music here in town, the same venue in which we saw our last show, Steve Hackett on 3/11/20 before the world closed. A nice show to ease back into concertgoing, crowd was very respectful and cooperative with masking. Proof of vax with ID was required, again I observed no problems with the checking. Great to see a show again! They saw you never forget your first. Yours?

I haven't had one yet. It was supposed to be Dead Can Dance...tonight, in fact. But that was postponed again, for the third time now, due to Covid conditions. I have tickets for Genesis in late November, so that is it at the moment.

Neil
    Last edited by boilk; 10-18-2021 at 12:03 AM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My first show will be Genesis in Montreal in November - if it happens. I saw Rick before the pandemic and it was quite good.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

King Crimson. No proof of vaccine needed but masks required. People wore masks in general areas but many took them off while seated. Considering it was outdoors and not nearly sold out, and thus many had plenty of distancing, the ushers and guards let it go.

I've been going to The Philadelphia Orchestra while they are in the midst of playing all the Beethoven symphonies for the 2021-2022 season. So far have seen the third, which was the first time they played to a live audience since March 2020 and was free, then the first and fifth in one concert, and today the the sixth. Vaccine proof, ID, and masks required. Except for the free one the theater was only about two thirds filled at most. When they'd play Beethoven before the shut down it would usually be sold out far in advance. For whatever reason - economics, people are still hesitant to go, the elderly are no longer taking group bus trips, or a combination of these and other reasons - the attendance so far, at least when I've gone, has been down from what it was before the shutdown.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I saw Tommy Castro and his blues band over the summer. But that was free and outdoors. I believe masks were required, as has been the case in my state for quite some time. It was 3 months ago.

King Crimson, at the beginning of September. If this ends up being, as some sources are suggesting, the last Crimson US tour, it would be fitting that they played here at Nautica Stage (or whatever it's called these days), because that's the same venue that Adrian Belew said "feels like the setting for a Pink Floyd show" at my first King Crimson show way back in 1995. Oh, and that opening band were pretty good too, what were they called again?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Friday night we saw Rick Wakeman at the venerable Academy of Music here in town, the same venue in which we saw our last show, Steve Hackett on 3/11/20 before the world closed. A nice show to ease back into concertgoing, crowd was very respectful and cooperative with masking. Proof of vax with ID was required, again I observed no problems with the checking. Great to see a show again! They saw you never forget your first. Yours?
    My first was Squeeze back in August. Since then I have seen Lindsey Buckingham, Judas Priest, Robert Cray, Myles Kennedy / Tyler Bryant and just tonight The Struts. Ironically I had tickets to see Wakeman in a few weeks and the show was cancelled, so won't be seeing him I guess. Oh well, it is great to be back to live music!

Mine will be the Bootleg Beatles in December. Rescheduled Nick Mason AND VDGG next year.

My first concert since Before Times was King Crimson (with The Zappa Band), Beacon Theater, NYC last month. Proof of vax was required (most people used masks in the general areas but took them off when seated). Great Show!!! Next up, Dream Theater in Feb. (Hopefully).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I saw King Crimson in Boston a few weeks ago, no checking going in, essentially a big open sided tent by the water so there was lots of airflow and the venue was about a third full so plenty of space. No mask mandate inside.

Tonight I've got Black Midi in Cambridge at the Sinclair which will be all standing and is sold out. There is a requirement for mask and proof of vaccination. I hope to find a spot with some space.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Only saw a couple of classical concerts so far. Going to see Poil Ueda in two weeks time.

My first show was this:
    Crack Cloud in the end of August

Packed closed room, no ventilation, no masks (I was the only one with a mask), no checks in the entrance, pretty scary.
    Since then I was in several festivals (Wide Awake London and Manchester Psych Fest, at least there they checked vaccination status / negative lateral flow), and some more shows (Hackett, Jockstrap, Kavus Torabi! )
    And I don't even live in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I saw King Crimson in Boston a few weeks ago, no checking going in, essentially a big open sided tent by the water so there was lots of airflow and the venue was about a third full so plenty of space. No mask mandate inside.

Tonight I've got Black Midi in Cambridge at the Sinclair which will be all standing and is sold out. There is a requirement for mask and proof of vaccination. I hope to find a spot with some space.
    I am awaiting report RE Black Midi

Back to back shows at Rhizome a couple of weeks ago: Requiem, Hotel Neon, Christopher Tignor and Ensemble Volcanic Ash.

It felt great, the bands were great, it was great.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Justin Hayward last month

Jimmy Buffett at Riverbend in Cincinnati on July 13th. Essentially 4 days after starting retirement, it was a blast, as you would expect. No adjustments for Covid at that one, but an outdoor show.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Saw Primus in mid-August at an outdoor venue outside of Seattle.

I've also been to see the Black Crowes, Pat Metheny, Moon Letters, and Herbie Hancock.

Mostly French:
    Lazuli on an outdoor Festival
    Magma at Le Triton, start of their French fall tour
    And a couple of nice Jazz and World concerts on two Paris outdoor summer Festivals

Also King Crimson, back in the first week of August (does that count as "before times"?) Most folks were masked getting to their seats, but took them off when seated. It was Utah so I was a bit surprised by the number of people masking, but then again most of audience looked like junior college science teachers with their families.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

My first concert back after a year and a half started right at the top: King Crimson (with The Royal Package before the show). Since then I've seen The Tubes, Boz Scaggs, Geoff Tate, The Neal Morse Band (twice!), and The Psychedelic Furs.

Still to come in '21: Rick Wakeman and also Opeth with Mastodon.

No shows yet for me. I'm still reeling from Frank Marino's cancellation.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Mine will be the Bootleg Beatles in December.
    A Beatles Bootleg cover band, I presume?

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Justin Hayward last month
    How was he? Was this the Pittsburgh show?
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Huge concert gap for me. I saw Neal Morse in Feburary of 2019 and that was it. I sort of retired from concerts even before Covid. However, I do plan on going to more concerts. I saw Jon Anderson(with the school of rock) in August and that was my first but so far the only one. I have tickets to see Genesis in December.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Our Neal Morse show was postponed until Feb. (for the Seattle date last week we had tix for)

We had tickets for Tennis (just saw a short video of Alaina grooving to 'Your Move' by Yes) but they moved the show to a night we couldn't attend, so didn't go. We have tickets for Nearly Dan next month so that'll be our first barring any unforeseen occurences.

Outdoor: King Crimson/Zappa in August
    Indoor: Pat Metheny last weekend