Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three younger guys rank the Yes albums

Three younger guys rank the Yes albums

I'm posting this in OT because it seems like a better place for it. If the mods want to move it to the main forum I'm ok with that.

Last edited by Digital_Man; 10-14-2021 at 02:49 PM.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm posting this in OT because it seems like a better place for it. If the mods want to move it to the main forum I'm ok with that.

2 of them leave Tales out of their top 10. Attention span?

^Not sure. There might be a bit of a "you had to be there" kind of thing to appreciate tales and the fact that these guys probably didn't discover Yes or prog until this century might have something to do with it ranking so low. Tales would make my top ten though if not my top five.

For those who don't want to sit through the whole thing the rankings of each presenter is listed at the end of the video.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting. I'll check it out.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    2 of them leave Tales out of their top 10. Attention span?
    "Tales" would not be in my top 10. Although I skipped through some parts of the video, I thought they did a pretty good job.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "Tales" would not be in my top 10. Although I skipped through some parts of the video, I thought they did a pretty good job.
    Number 11?

When I was still relatively new to Yes (been into them heavily for maybe two or three years) I went to a Yes convention and mentioned to some people there I liked Tormato better than Tales. You can only imagine the groans and "no ways" I received from fellow Yes fans. These days I'm not so sure I still feel that way. Tales is a bit much to take in in one sitting but I think it's something that's worth the effort. These days I probably prefer tales over Tormato but I think Tormato is overall the more underrated album in their catalog (at least among the hardcore fans).

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Number 11?

When I was still relatively new to Yes (been into them heavily for maybe two or three years) I went to a Yes convention and mentioned to some people there I liked Tormato better than Tales. You can only imagine the groans and "no ways" I received from fellow Yes fans. These days I'm not so sure I still feel that way. Tales is a bit much to take in in one sitting but I think it's something that's worth the effort. These days I probably prefer tales over Tormato but I think Tormato is overall the more underrated album in their catalog (at least among the hardcore fans).
    For me "Tales" was an experiment that didn't work. I don't hate it, and there are parts of it I like, but I also think a lot of it just kind of meanders around. I tend to agree with a lot of Rick Wakeman's thoughts on the album. I would have to think about where exactly I would place it, but it would not be in my top 10. As for "Tormato" I would probably rate it lower than "Tales". It is another album that I don't hate, and in fact think there are some great tracks on it, but there is also quite a few tracks that I just don't care for.

Tales is #1 for me. With Tales Yes created a magical world that the listener can get immersed in, and come out in a better place emotionally and spiritually than going in. In that sense no other Yes album comes close as a whole. CTTE and Awaken have a similar effect on me, but those are only one album side.

Relayer is transportative as well but to a darker place. I visit it less often. Nonetheless I would still put it as #2 after Tales.

Tales is only 2nd to CTTE surely!

Tales is number 2 for me.

For me:

Yessongs
    Tales
    Close to the Edge
    Relayer
    Going for the One
    Fragile
    The Yes Album
    Drama

^That is about what it is for me though I usually don't rank live albums with studio, and Going for the One and Fragile might be switched but it's really too close to call. Close to the Edge and Relayer are also close.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Tales is number 2 for me.
    Is that your rank, or is "number 2" a metaphor for shit?
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I agree that Tales was something you had to wait for and anticipate when it was released. Then it was "holy crap, what did they do here?" Similar feeling to Thick as a Brick and then Passion Play, or Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, though that last one was less of a surprise (it is Gabriel after all).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I will watch the vid later. I really like younger people evaluating prog. It kind of takes me out of my 5 plus decade love for the music, and forces me to reevaluate it. So far, the vast, vast majority of has held up for me, when looked at from this perspective.

As far as Tales goes...

It is probably #4 for me.

CTTE
    Relayer
    Going for the One
    Tales
    Fragile
    Drama

Those top 2 change places for me, every so often.

While, as some say, it was a failed experiment may be true. There are still just so many great passages and beautiful melodies among the 'failed' portions, that, overall, it transcends the weak parts, for me.

I don't listen to as often as some of the others, but when I do, the great parts consistently floor me.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I agree that Tales was something you had to wait for and anticipate when it was released. Then it was "holy crap, what did they do here?" Similar feeling to Thick as a Brick and then Passion Play, or Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, though that last one was less of a surprise (it is Gabriel after all).
    I did not get into Yes until quite a few years after "Tales" was released, so maybe that is why it has never clicked that well with me.

For me the Cream of the Yes crop:

Fragile
    CTTE
    Relayer
    TYA
    TFTO
    GFTO
    Keys To Ascension 2 (studio).

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    - It could be read either way. If you're not a fan, the former, if you are a fan, the later.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If you didn't watch this video then that's a really strange coincidence. Too funny. Watch the whole thing and you'll see what I mean.

Was born between 90125 and Big Generator. My dad gravitated toward the Squire-heavy stuff, so I grew up with a decent amount of The Yes Album, Drama, 90125, and even a bit of Tormato.

I have come to prefer the Anderson/Howe present country music from mars era of the band.

My top 5:
    1. Tales from Toporgraphic Oceans
    2. Relayer
    3. Close to the Edge
    4. Going for the One
    5. Fragile

Besides those, my top tier contains Yessongs, Yesshows, Drama and the Yes Album. Those are the 9 albums of theirs I think are better than Anderson/Stolt. The rest I don't think are as good as Anderson/Stolt.

1. Tales

Personally I don't get these videos...like who cares what Joe Schmo thinks about a band or record, or 3 guys and a cat. lol
    Anyone of us could start a Youtube channel and just blab on and on about our favorite and least favorite albums...but who cares.

I think I'd rather post a video about watching paint dry, and it would be more interesting.
    For some reason many months ago, one of their videos popped up in my side bar about rating Peter Gabriel's catalog, and yes, it was just as boring.

I did find many of the choices here by our members, more interesting, and may I say more informed.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    For me the Cream of the Yes crop:
    Keys To Ascension 2 (studio).
    Interesting that you list Keys but not Drama...
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Interesting that you list Keys but not Drama...
    I like Drama but for me it's not cream of the crop Yes.

When Tales first came out it was #1 for me. I'd listen to one of the sides every day and there was so much to explore there. Now CTTE has reemerged as #1.