Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ozric Tentacles - tasty new box set coming January 2022

Ozric Tentacles - tasty new box set coming January 2022

For those of you who enjoy the spaced out bliss of the Ozrics, Kscope have just announced a new box set for 14 January.

This will include Ed Wynne's remasters for the Pungent, Erpland, Strangeitude and Jurassic albums, along with the live Underslunky album. The remasters were done for the vinyl editions and have been available as downloads via Bandcamp, and I can attest that these are a nice improvement on the previous masters used for the existing cds.

The set also comes with a rarities disc, a dvd, and an eighty page book approved and contributed to by all previous members. I'm on the band's FB page and the book has been the subject of a lot of anticipation, as the author (also on the group) is clearly a fan who knows the band members well, so everyone's cool with the contents.

You can pre-order from Burning Shed here: https://burningshed.com/ozric-tentac...-circle_boxset

The official blurb is below:

A 7 Disc boxset showcasing a band in the ascent and at its most inspired.

Alongside the first four official studio albums released by Ozric Tentacles - Pungent Effulgent, Erpland, Strangeitude and Jurassic Shift - and Live Underslunky, Travelling The Great Circle offers a collection of rare content from band members old and new, personal artefacts from close associates of the band, and new Erpmen drawn by Ed Wynne.

The 80-page Hardback Book Edition also features liner notes by Dominic Blake, rare photographs and hard to find audio and visual material.

The bonus disc Demos & Rarities was hand-picked and remastered by Ed Wynne

This edition also includes a DVD featuring the band at the height of their powers, performing to a sold out crowd at Brixton’s Fridge in 1991, along with various TV appearances from the era.

On reading this news I was seized with the desire to hear some Pungent Effulgent - so I fired it up on YouTube. The very first comment under the video reads:

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Breakin on YouTube View Post
    My friend and I used to do what we would call 'mid week sports specials' where we would crush up a couple of microdots and take them in little bits through the course of a night. One night we were doing this. Had had a few cans aswell. We had the hi-fi wired up with three speakers. I was lying on the floor with the left and right speakers a few feet from each ear and my m8 was dancing around the room with the third creating a '3D sound'. we thought it was fucking brilliant. Music was pretty loud. about 3am. His housemate burst through the door marched over the hi-fi. Did the classic record scratch as he pushed the needle off the record. Turned and stared at us then shouted 'IVE GOT THIS MUCH FUCKING RESPECT YOU' and sormed out slamming the door behind him. We burst into laughter (as you do) but when we settled down we thought it would be best if we went out. So we walked from ladywell to beckenham place park (about 5 miles). It was autumn and there was a spot on the golf course for magic mushrooms. So we were picking these mushrroms, tripping balls when out of mist (i'm not messing it was misty) walks a rasta in white track suit smoking a big fat spliff of sensi which he shared with us and we ended up trading some mushrooms for a few joints of his weed. Eventually we ended up at my house around 9 in the morning. Made a pasta dish and bunged the rest of the shrooms in that before making the fatal error of watching hellraiser.
    There you have the Ozrics' cultural moment in the UK encapsulated.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    On reading this news I was seized with the desire to hear some Pungent Effulgent - so I fired it up on YouTube. The very first comment under the video reads:

"what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    For those of you who enjoy the spaced out bliss of the Ozrics, Kscope have just announced a new box set for 14 January.

This will include Ed Wynne's remasters for the Pungent, Erpland, Strangeitude and Jurassic albums, along with the live Underslunky album. The remasters were done for the vinyl editions and have been available as downloads via Bandcamp, and I can attest that these are a nice improvement on the previous masters used for the existing cds.
    Autobuy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What’s the price on this sexy thing?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Oh, the price isn’t bad, BUT I think the concert on the DVD is one that was included with a previous reissue and was of abysmal quality (many generations removed). Hopefully they’ve got something better.

Man... The only one of these I have on CD is Erpland, so I may spring for this one.

Just spent the weekend at my cousin's house in Birmingham (not the one in England), and we listened to a few Ozric Tentacles LPs on his turntable while I was there. I brought my vinyl copies of Erpland, Technicians of the Sacred, and Space for the Earth. He has quite an extensive whisky collection (bourbon, scotch, Japanese whisky, and others), so we sampled a few things while listening to Ozrics. Good times.

^ If some dude broke into my place and scratched one of my records, (potentially damaging the stylus,) we'd be playing hockey in about 20 seconds.

(I'm old, but I ain't broken down.)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

That is absolutely hilarious!!!!!

BTW - I would never trade mushrooms for stink weed.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Have all those already. Only thing new would be the booklet and rarities cd. Not sure that's worth it.

I've recently bought those cds -really do like the band, but I'm in no mood to buy them again! Seems to be a lot of Ozrics repackaging and special editions coming out (barely month after the original issues) Not impressed really.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That is absolutely hilarious!!!!!

BTW - I would never trade mushrooms for stink weed.
    You might if you were already flying on beer and acid. It's been known to lead to some sub-optimal decisions.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Not impressed really.
    I don't think they were trying to impress you.

^^^ Well they should do- I've bought 19 of their albums in the last 12 months.

^^^ Well they should do- I've bought 19 of their albums in the last 12 months.
    I mean, this is a reissue of albums that came out nearly 30 years ago. So… I don’t really see the problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I mean, this is a reissue of albums that came out nearly 30 years ago. So… I don’t really see the problem with it.
    They have been remastered before. I think that's what he means, as far as buying them again. Me, I'll get this set because these are the most recent remasters Ed did.

I'm happy with the versions I have - I only started buying them because I'd run out of Gong and Steve Hillage albums to buy. The do have 3 0r 4 albums out of print so they might usefully re-press those instead though.

I'm happy with the versions I have - I only started buying them because I'd run out of Gong and Steve Hillage albums to buy. The do have 3 0r 4 albums out of print so they might usefully re-press those instead though.
    Did you get Ed's solo album?

^^^ No - is the solo album any good? How does it differ from an Ozrics one? I bought Space For the Earth (just before the deluxe version as announced...grr)

^^^ No - is the solo album any good? How does it differ from an Ozrics one? I bought Space For the Earth (just before the deluxe version as announced...grr)
    It doesn't. But you should get it.

I caved in and pre-ordered this. Seem to be on a bit of a box set splurge lately.

Bandcamp Profile

The book-set has now been released, and it's a really nice piece of work.

I've put together a review of the contents (and there are a lot), together with comparisons of the new remasters vs the previous cd editions, and a look at the re-authored dvd of the Brixton 1991 show.

https://momentstransition.wordpress....book-set-2022/

Hope you find it helpful.

I've chased down the studio albums on cd in this collection over the last couple of years -so I won't be going for this one. Nice band when I'm in the mood -good bit of Gong/Hillage dna wafting around (not a chemical mood btw!)

Love the band. Like the shows I've been to ( it's been a while ).
    I've got most of their output. More might not be better at this point.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    The book-set has now been released, and it's a really nice piece of work.

I've put together a review of the contents (and there are a lot), together with comparisons of the new remasters vs the previous cd editions, and a look at the re-authored dvd of the Brixton 1991 show.

https://momentstransition.wordpress....book-set-2022/

Hope you find it helpful.
    Nice review, thanks! Mine arrived on Saturday and I haven’t had chance to get the plastic off it yet. But looking forward to getting immersed.