Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Haken - Virus

  1. #1
    Member sergio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Green-Clean
    Posts
    212

    Haken - Virus

    ... I'm short for words...
    I thought Vector was the pinnacle, nuh...
    nonstop WOW factor. Carousel is mother of all epics.
    Jeeeez

  2. #2
    Listening to it right now and enjoying it very much. I generally don't like much Metal but this is quite good. Very melodic. Lots of dynamic shifts.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    38
    It definitely plants them firmly as the foremost clean-vocalled prog metal band. After Caligula's Horse's excellent In Contact, they were nipping at Haken's heels, but after a somewhat lackluster release from Caligula's Horse (not bad, but not spectacular) and Haken's amazing Virus, I feel like Haken has moved into a class of their own. Not that it's a competition. And all of this is just my opinion, of course.

  4. #4
    I also assume the style I'm listening to in a lot of these songs is what is called "djent".
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    249
    I listened to Vector and Virus back-to-back last night and my jaw is still open. Together they're absolutely staggering.

  6. #6
    Member sergio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Green-Clean
    Posts
    212
    ... that is post djent

  7. #7
    Member sergio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Green-Clean
    Posts
    212
    human brain cant comprehend that in 1-2 passes. On the first one you fell like you've brushed with something of epic proportions... like maybe a "black hole" . it'll start unfolding soon... how are they writing that sort of complex music, let alone performing that... and live too.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    how are they writing that sort of complex music, let alone performing that... and live too.
    This is exactly what I thought while listening to Virus. How in the world did they WRITE this let along perform it. I was actually happy during the few parts where I could grasp mentally what they were doing (like Messiah Complex Part II) because it gave me a moment to rest.

    I listened to Moon Safari Lover's End Part III directly afterwards as a palate cleanser. I actually found the contrast sort of amazing.

  9. #9
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,699
    I'm glad people finally get to hear this thing. It was months ago that I reviewed it, before all the delays came to light. I hope I'm still right about it.

    https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/hake...nsideout-2020/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  10. #10
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    12,187
    Yeah, Virus is great. I had a second listen this morning.

    BTW, I never really knew what djent was, but to me this just sounds like Prog Metal.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    6,054
    No doubt "Virus" is right up there for me an album of the year contender. In a just world these guys would be filling arenas.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    38
    Yeah, if you ever get a chance to see them live, do it. I've driven 7 hours to see them and it was worth every second.

  13. #13
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,699
    I saw them with Leprous and Bent Knee on Halloween night in Toronto a couple of years ago, it was excellent.

    Funny thing, too. The "VIP upgrade" people got to enter the venue a half hour or so ahead of the rest of the line, where they could meet and chat with the band for something like $75 more (I'm estimating). The usual stuff, kids getting their guitar signed, running to be the first to the merch table, etc. - then they let the rest of us in and the band were still hanging out chatting with people. I just walked right up to Charlie and struck up a conversation.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  14. #14
    Member sergio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Green-Clean
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by mylard View Post
    Yeah, if you ever get a chance to see them live, do it. I've driven 7 hours to see them and it was worth every second.
    last year I attended their Vector gig... guys playing to "crowd" of maybe 100... weird

  15. #15
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,476
    These last two albums have not excited me much but live they are very good band.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    These last two albums have not excited me much but live they are very good band.
    Yes, this one is less aggressive and more melodic than Vector but there's still too much epileptic riffage for my tastes.

  17. #17
    Okay guys, I just ordered this new one. It had better be good!

    Actually I have their Affinity album and like it quite a bit, as well as one of their live releases. The positive comments in this thread swayed me into picking the new one up.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    6,054
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Okay guys, I just ordered this new one. It had better be good!

    Actually I have their Affinity album and like it quite a bit, as well as one of their live releases. The positive comments in this thread swayed me into picking the new one up.
    If you like their older stuff, I can't imagine that you won't like this one.

  19. #19
    ^ I have a feeling I'll like it too, I was just being silly.

  20. #20
    Member gearHed289's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Yes, this one is less aggressive and more melodic than Vector but there's still too much epileptic riffage for my tastes.
    I actually felt the opposite upon first listen to Virus, which is a little too metal for me. But then, I haven't listened to Vector in a while. Virus definitely showcases Ray's drumming. Seems light on the keyboards which is a bummer. I really love this band, so I'll be giving it another shot, but right now, it's not on my list of albums to purchase.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,737
    Much like the monochrome album covers, the last two Haken releases have sounded equally monochrome. I like the Technicolor of their earlier albums.
    Prog's Not Dead

  22. #22
    Member sergio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Green-Clean
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Much like the monochrome album covers, the last two Haken releases have sounded equally monochrome. I like the Technicolor of their earlier albums.
    ...yes, def less "hakenisms" on this one...

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    823
    I actually happened to listen to Virus and the Restoration EP back to back.
    What struck me is that Haken now sound so clinical and precise it seems the guitars and drums are played by machines. On Restoration, the insane technical skills are there but they still sound like humans.
    If that makes any sense...
    By pushing the limits of technique, their music seems to have lost its soul, just like Dream Theater at some point in the early 00s.

  24. #24
    Member hFx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    ...yes, def less "hakenisms" on this one...
    If "hakenisms" include those Klezmer:ish breaks and Jennings flat voice, Virus is quite an improvement IMHO

    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    What struck me is that Haken now sound so clinical and precise it seems the guitars and drums are played by machines. On Restoration, the insane technical skills are there but they still sound like humans.
    That's an unfortunate trend which show less of the musicianship and more the editing skills It's the same phenomenon across most genres. However, if I confront younger musicians and producers about it they don't see any problem... They happily edit out anything too human, put gates on all track to emphasis the exactness and add some distortion on the master to make the music sound "warmer"

    But yes, Haken is a great live act!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

  25. #25
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I actually happened to listen to Virus and the Restoration EP back to back.
    What struck me is that Haken now sound so clinical and precise it seems the guitars and drums are played by machines. On Restoration, the insane technical skills are there but they still sound like humans.
    If that makes any sense...
    By pushing the limits of technique, their music seems to have lost its soul, just like Dream Theater at some point in the early 00s.
    I agree with this.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •