Thread: 311 - the band … are they prog??

311 - the band … are they prog??

I would argue 311 are one of the most sneakily prog bands around… yes they have some dreadful rap/rock moments… but they are also amazing players, have lengthy strange albums full of tempo changes, odd time signatures and blend many styles into a bizarre mix of sounds. Their live shows feature lengthy drum solos, etc. and they were even produced by Eddie Offord! Am I completely crazy??

Not sure. I've always liked their "hits" but that's really all I know by them. I knew a guy who was into prog and played Porcupine Tree for his daughter. When his daughter heard them she thought they sounded like 311 so who knows. I have heard people(well at least one person) say that the early stuff by Incubus was prog(or proggish)but I can't say much about that either. I do think prog did sneak into some 90's alternative though(ie TSP).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 10-13-2021 at 03:55 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

The eons are closing
    I love 311 and have been a fan of theirs since late 90s with Transistor. My younger brother had already been into them since their first disc - Music.

I have prog friends who like em and those who loathe em.

The bruford-like snare sound and that mid-90s gtr tone when songs break into a heavy rock taster before cycling back to a reggae/rap groove.

But not prog as discussed on this site; and not progressive even within their era.

But I fucking enjoy it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

mid-90s gtr tone

I didn't really know there was such a thing. Could you give some other examples?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I guess you could make an argument that the genre-melding is progressive rock in the absolute broadest sense of the word -- trying to expand the horizons of rock music by bringing in different sounds and styles. But I think Jane's Addiction and Faith No More were both mixing elements of funk, rap and world music into rock (more the rap for FNM and the world music for Jane's), and they were doing it in a way that's probably of more interest to prog fans (personally I adore both bands).

311 definitely aren't lazy players, you know? There's a lot of activity and personality in the arrangements, compared to other popular rock bands, especially in the rhythm section. But personally I can't get over the vocal style and lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    mid-90s gtr tone

I didn't really know there was such a thing. Could you give some other examples?
    My guess would be post-grunge. Bush, Stone Temple Pilots, Sponge, Smashing Pumpkins with Collective Soul, Live, Candlebox. That's my guess.

Who are 311????

Completely unknown around here. Any recommendations (please no indie/alt. material, as I saw reference to Bush, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction, Faith No More etc.)?
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^ That's their bailiwick, Spyros. I mainly remember them from the "renegade sound system 311" line from a song in the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Who are 311????

Completely unknown around here. Any recommendations (please no indie/alt. material, as I saw reference to Bush, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction, Faith No More etc.)?
    If those are your parameters then you might want to stay away, especially if you don't like any of those bands you just mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The bruford-like snare sound
    More like 90s piccolo snare, but I get what you mean.

Banned
    Prog leaning or not, their track "Amber" is one of the greatest modern single type releases in the last two decades. That thing is simply outstanding from my perspective. And, you have to like a song that begins and ends with a "brainstorm".

By the way, Wikipedia classifies them as "Reggae Rock", believe it of mot.

Maybe not prog but a pretty good cover of a Cure song (who themselves could be "sneakily prog" imo).

Funny! The only 311 songs I’ve liked are Amber & their cover of Love Song! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the bands I’m in is doing a cover of their version of Love Song.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Here a is good example of just a completely wacky song that starts off like a normal reggae song ... then goes into a strange middle spacey middle session and then ends with a dream theater-ish metal ending? ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTH17ytkEYI

And this track is all over the place with rapping metal.. weird drum patterns, and kinda yes-like verses...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGr5...JSFgGM&index=3

Again ... not prog in the usual sense but they check a lot of boxes:
    1) Odd time signatures and unusual key changes / detailed nuances that most bands wouldn't bother with
    2) Blending of styles (Rock, Reggae, Rap, Jazz, Latin, Funk, etc.)
    3) Great players and a singer with a high voices (well ... one of their singers!)
    4) Spacey lyrics ... with often times unrealistic positivity laughable optimism
    5) Goofy album covers (see Universal Pulse .. looks like a bad Asia album cover!)
    6) Eddie Offord connection
    7) Fan base that seems oblivious to how cheesy they are =)
    8) Drum solos in the middle of songs .. bass codas for no good reason ???
    9) Sorta concept albums with like 20 songs and secret tracks both before and after an albums
    10) They have their own cruise ... and their own weekends

Yep ... 311 is prog!

I have to admit -- I'd been skeptical, but listening to those examples you make a pretty good case.