Thread: Caravan new LP/ tour

Caravan new LP/ tour

Not seen any chat about this but Caravan have a new album out (It's None of Your Business) and are currently on a UK tour - I'll be off to the Glasgow show in a couple of weeks. New album is very good IMHO.

https://officialcaravan.co.uk/

i was worried about the album due to the singles but the full thing is a lot better than the singles let on imo! Certainly not golden era proggy Caravan but feels more organically 'Caravan' than the previous two albums, and you can hear a logical progression between, say, Better By Far and this album, whereas the previous two albums felt (to me) like an entirely different band.
    Last edited by auxfnx; 10-11-2021 at 11:52 AM.

I was at the first gig of the tour in Basingstoke, I was very impressed. Lee Pomeroy is playing bass on the tour and for his first gig he did great. The setlist is here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/carav...-538dd791.html

Lee Pomeroy has played live or recorded with many bands the past decade; Steve Hackett, It Bites, Three Friends, Wakeman, ARW Yes, Jeff Lynne's ELO, Headspace, that I quickly recall
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    I was at the first gig of the tour in Basingstoke, I was very impressed. Lee Pomeroy is playing bass on the tour and for his first gig he did great. The setlist is here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/carav...-538dd791.html
    Killer setlist.

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    i was worried about the album due to the singles but the full thing is a lot better than the singles let on imo! Certainly not golden era proggy Caravan but feels more organically 'Caravan' than the previous two albums, and you can hear a logical progression between, say, Better By Far and this album, whereas the previous two albums felt (to me) like an entirely different band.
    I agree the album hangs together better than recent previous efforts but I kinda like If I Was To Fly (the single). Has a sort of Golf Girl/ Magic Man vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    I agree the album hangs together better than recent previous efforts but I kinda like If I Was To Fly (the single). Has a sort of Golf Girl/ Magic Man vibe.
    yea i can see that! I definitely like it a lot more in the context of the full album, as opposed to it being the only thing i had to go off in terms of what a new album would sound like haha

Breakfast Item and Paradise Filter have grown on me over the years. Looking forward to this one as well. Nice to see a few longer songs!

When Lee was introduced on stage, it was said he went back to the original source material to learn the set. So the bass lines he played are pretty much how Richard Sinclair, John G Perry etc played them. It was also said the reason Jim Leverton left was to return to his R&B roots.

I've never been able to get more than a couple of songs into anything after Battle of Hastings, and wasn't that fond of If I Was to Fly. Maybe I'll have to give them more attention.

I have listened to some of these songs and I like them, been a Caravan fan forever,

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    Not seen any chat about this but Caravan have a new album out (It's None of Your Business) and are currently on a UK tour - I'll be off to the Glasgow show in a couple of weeks. New album is very good IMHO.

https://officialcaravan.co.uk/
    Not that lucky on the other side of "pond"
    Still waiting for the CD. Have not received a shipping note yet but hopefully it won't take too long now, the given release date over here is October 15. Looking forward to give it a spin.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

I saw them in Chester this week.

They were in amazing form. The arrangements were very tight and rhythmic. All held together by an excellent drummer.

The opening (Memory Lain) in particular, was outstanding.

Good old Pye. It's a shame that Caravan never had a greater commercial reward because they deserve it.
    When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    I saw them in Chester this week.

They were in amazing form. The arrangements were very tight and rhythmic. All held together by an excellent drummer.

The opening (Memory Lain) in particular, was outstanding.

Good old Pye. It's a shame that Caravan never had a greater commercial reward because they deserve it.
    That's great to hear. Gotta love the Caravan! Chester is a beautiful town as well, we had a lunch and spent an afternoon there back in 2015.

the Glasgow show last night was a blast. band were all in top form. Never noticed before Lee Pomeroy has a good voice.

https://twitter.com/yeswave1/status/...077978112?s=21

A friend was supposed to see Caravan today and got this message:

"Tomorrow's CARAVAN gig has just been postponed due to a band member returning a positive lateral flow test this afternoon. Sincere apologies for the short notice but there is nothing we can do."

And then today got this message regarding Gryphon in November:

"I am very sorry to have to report that owing to the very sudden poor health
    of one of the key members of Gryphon, we have no option but to postpone our
    performance on Sunday 7th November, until early 2022.

I feel very bad that this is such short notice, but I'm afraid the situation was
    never anticipated and regrettably, the decision is out of our hands, as we have
    been given 'Doctor's Orders'."

This sounds very alarming...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Breakfast Item and Paradise Filter have grown on me over the years. Looking forward to this one as well. Nice to see a few longer songs!
    I'm still getting used to both of these latter-day albums (first heard them when I received the big box a few months back).

This new one seems a little more in line with Breakfast Item, and that's a good thing.

I'm actually kind of surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Yes, Pye's voice is different, but the band is tasteful and tight. There are lots of very Caravan-y instrumental passages. It's a winner!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

After a few spins I really enjoy it! Of course this is not the band of old, but I have enjoyed both Battle of Hastings, The Breakfast Item and Paradise Filter quite alot during the years. The new one has quite a few good tracks.