Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pink Floyd Animals Tribute album

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I remember an interviewer asking John Wetton what he likes about participating on the Cleopatra tribute albums.

The response: "They pay me a lot of money to do them"
    Wetton routinely donated his fee for such projects to charity.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Wetton routinely donated his fee for such projects to charity.
    That's impressive.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Animals is my favorite Pink Floyd as well, but I really dislike this cover and listening to Dogs, I'm not convinced.
    Perhaps if I see it in the thrift-store, I might take it.

I think I prefere the Lamb tribute from Rewiring Genesis.

I don't know, I'm always very suspicious of these versions, especially due to the hype around the stellar participation and therefore the high expectations... However, after a few listens and while I think that the "Sheep" version is absolute crap (a pity because for a long time it was my favourite track on the original), both "Dogs" and "Pigs - Three different kinds" are very damn good, possibly because while staying quite close to the originals as far as the framework is concerned, the "stellar participation" really does shine on both of these tracks..

Ed
    Last edited by rickmoraz; 11-27-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmoraz View Post
    I don't know, I'm always very suspicious of these versions, especially due to the hype around the stellar participation and therefore the high expectations... However, after a few listens and while I think that the "Sheep" version is absolute crap (a pity because for a long time it was my favourite track on the original), both "Dogs" and "Pigs - Three different kinds" are very damn good, possibly because while staying quite close to the originals as far as the framework is concerned, the "stellar participation" really does shine on both of these tracks..

Ed
    Sherwood is on Sheep?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Sherwood is on Sheep?
    No, he's on Pigs on a wing - 2,.... nothing memorable

Ed

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Not really a "reimagining."
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

It’s hard to think of a concept album where the involvement of some of the original creative forces isn’t necessary for the concept part to really work, unless maybe live on stage where a little theatrics can go a long way. Like, Tommy or Quadrophenia without Daltry?
    I did see The Who playing Quadrophenia at the Royal Albert Hall with Roger supplemented with Eddie Vedder (The a rocker) and Tom from Kasabian (The Mod), and it worked well in the theatrical setting as you point out. I wouldn’t need a Quadrophenia reimagined album though.

I fail to see how you could 're-imagine' this when its perfect as is. Shrug. No interest at all. In fact - you could put Gilmour on it again - and I'd pass.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

I spoke with Vinnie Moore about his participation in this. I'll post that interview when it goes live next week.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I think I prefere the Lamb tribute from Rewiring Genesis.
    That one was really cool, and tried to do a few different things with the source material. I've got a copy of it somewhere, signed by Nick.

Shortly after it came out, I was fortunate enough to go to a live gig they did in a Nashville bar where they performed most of the album. It was a blast.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Not really a "reimagining."
    There are parts, especially the keyboards (without excluding the guitar work), where I think that there is truely an attempt to add something quite new; therefore, for me, a good and interesting reimagining.

Again, the framework is very similar, but there is an infusion of something "new", which makes it very grabbing or interesting. And again again, this is only as far as "Dogs" and "Pigs (TDK)" are concerned; "Sheep" is indeed the only one that I would say is very different from the original (therefore the only reimagining?), but it's an absolute mess, and I'm very sorry, but not even Arthur Brown's growls can resurrect a "dog" like this (AFAIC). it ain't "The Tell-tale Heart" by anyone's stretch of imagination, not even Edgar Allan's...).

Cheers

Ed
    Last edited by rickmoraz; 12-03-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That one was really cool, and tried to do a few different things with the source material. I've got a copy of it somewhere, signed by Nick.

Shortly after it came out, I was fortunate enough to go to a live gig they did in a Nashville bar where they performed most of the album. It was a blast.
    I love the addition of brass and strings.

Here are links to my newsletter review of Animals Reimagined with quotes from Vinnie Moore on his participation, as well as my podcast and video of the full Vinnie Moore interview, in which he also talked about his background, how he got involved with a Pepsi commercial, playing with Alice Cooper and Peter Frampton, joining UFO, his solo career, and more.

Newsletter with my review of Animals Reimgined - A Tribute to Pink Floyd can be found here.

Stream or download the podcast version here.

Or watch the video below:
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Thanks!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/