Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portnoy, Sheehan, Macalpine, Sherinian gig(s)

Banned
    don't care about the meltdown but do care that he's back with Sherinian. Hope to catch this show!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yeah, there's no way he was in the right, here. But again, I understand the frustration.
    With all due respect Scott I dont understand it at all. I dont imagine fans of any of the other three guys on that stage get it either. That's a complicated set, not a trap set. Didn't he sit at the kit before the show?? Cant imagine Colaiuta or Phillips or Donati or Minnemman or Mangini ever acting like that or taking that risk. Stopped the whole show, interrupted everything and acted like a complete blowhard. Hes not the royalty he obviously thinks he is. I wasnt much of a fan because of his high and mighty attitude before, but now? I wouldnt go see him if he played for free.

Let's hope this never happens again... for fear of Portnoy rapping! Talk about lowering the bar of the show. What the hell was that rap? Please leave the improvising in the drum throne and not on the mic!

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    With all due respect Scott I dont understand it at all. I dont imagine fans of any of the other three guys on that stage get it either. That's a complicated set, not a trap set. Didn't he sit at the kit before the show?? Cant imagine Colaiuta or Phillips or Donati or Minnemman or Mangini ever acting like that or taking that risk. Stopped the whole show, interrupted everything and acted like a complete blowhard. Hes not the royalty he obviously thinks he is. I wasnt much of a fan because of his high and mighty attitude before, but now? I wouldnt go see him if he played for free.
    Read what I wrote.

I'm not defending the response - it was completely inappropriate and unprofessional.

But I do understand the frustration of being told that you'd have a competent professional tech who obviously had no idea what they were doing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I did read it. So, actions aside, he's blaming the techs, for not setting HIS kit up correctly, when its HIS responsibility to make sure it's set up correctly. No ones going to see the techs, they're going to see him play. Its 100% his fault. Hence, why I'm not sympathetic to his frustration. He fucked up.
    And worse, took away from the other three killer musicians on the stage with him. Not cool.

I did read it. So, actions aside, he's blaming the techs, for not setting HIS kit up correctly, when its HIS responsibility to make sure it's set up correctly. No ones going to see the techs, they're going to see him play. Its 100% his fault. Hence, why I'm not sympathetic to his frustration. He fucked up.
    And worse, took away from the other three killer musicians on the stage with him. Not cool.

All true.

Okay, then we disagree.

Sure, he has to make sure the kit is correct, but it's the tech's job to set it up. Otherwise, what are they getting paid for?

And we don't know the details - maybe he was delayed in getting to the gig and didn't have time to do a proper inspection/sound check. I know they've been having travel problems in that part of their tour.

Again, not at all defending the response.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sure, he has to make sure the kit is correct, but it's the tech's job to set it up. Otherwise, what are they getting paid for?
    Who says they are getting paid?

You never know what you are getting when you tour overseas.

I was with TFF when they performed for the first time in Manila at the Araneta arena in 2010; same place as the "Thrilla In Manilla". We advanced our entire kit specs to them months before. Emails assured us the gear would be ready. Yes, there was a drum set there when we arrived at the arena. No, it was not to our specifications. It took 4x longer to piece together that kit to make it work for our show than to set up a standard kit. None of us had been in the Philippines before, yet, we all had toured for years so we knew what problems we might encounter. There were 5 stage hands assigned to the drums. It happens and happens a lot.

I really am curious what the other band members thought of this tirade from Portnoy. I can't picture any of them throwing a fit because a string breaks or their amp might go out. As a pro, they should know how to handle it and not let the show suffer because of their unwillingness to let things go during a show. Move along, get over it and continue with the show. Don't shine the spotlight on the problem and raise a fuss about it. Riots were built on instances such as this one. They are lucky fans didn't get involved and go after the techs. Who would be to blame with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Who would be to blame with that?
    The fans, in that case.

The fans, in that case.
    Yes, but the reason it would have started would be the person on stage who threw a fit complaining about the workers who 'ruined' their show.

Oh give poor Mike a break, he was probably just practicing for his next Who Tribute gig

From what I understand the band got to the gig and NOTHING was set up, with crowds filing at the doors. But decided to just get the gear up and wing it. There was no soundcheck at all. The band also didn't get any sleep the night before, and little for several days. What happened is the snare mic fell over, so Mike started playing a tom instead... and when he called the tech to set the mic back up, the guy just removed it. And that's when Mike lost it. I saw that he apologized on his website, but can't find it now.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 11-13-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I saw that he apologized on his website, but can't find it now.
    http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2802466.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Portnoy View Post
    Not to excuse my actions, but at least to explain the situation:
    This PSMS tour has been VERY difficult on all of us in terms of gear and production. The only way we have been able to make it to such far away places such as Manila, Russia, Israel, Indonesia, etc (where it is normally VERY expensive to tour unless you are a "name" band that has been around for many years) is we've have had to make concessions by using supplied gear and local techs at each show.

Granted, WE agreed to these terms and are willing to make it work - however, on at least a half dozen occasions on this tour we have been incredibly frustrated to arrive at the venue only to find the band's gear requirements were simply blatantly ignored (wrong keyboards, wrong amps, Zildjian cymbals, etc) AND were not setup and ready for us as was supposed to be the case and what the promoters had promised.

We have been as patient and understanding as we possibly can be...but when you get 4 guys who haven't slept more than a couple of hours every night in order to fly to these shows without sleep...sometimes our patience can wear thin.

In the case of the Manila show, we arrived hours before the show to find out the drums weren't setup, cymbals were missing, Billy's amp was wrong (again) and Tony had a buzz on his gear that would not go away...but we forged ahead because we were VERY excited to play for the fans!

At the start of Stratus (where the video on youtube is from) - my snare drum mic fell off and I motioned for the tech to come put it back on the stand/drum...and instead, he comes up to the drum kit and takes the mic away...leaving me playing with NO snare mic!!! (you'll hear I begin playing the high tom instead of the snare)...realizing he had no idea what was going on or how to fix the situation, I stopped playing and did my little "rap" while they fixed the situation and we wouldn't have to play the whole song with no snare in the mix.

In the video, you can see I was at least making a joke out of it and wasn't maliciously trying to hurt anybody or storming off in anger.

Moral of the story: WE ARE HUMAN! And sometimes frustrating circumstances create frustrated behavior. I'm not saying I was right in stopping the song...but if you see a video from later in the show, you'll see I explain to the audience that I've been waiting my whole career to play in Manila and I wasn't going to let ANYTHING ruin my night or their show!!
    And we carried on and everybody had a great night...

And I look forward to returning...
    (although this may be the last time I tour without my own kit and my own drum tech...hahahaha!!!)

MP

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The band name has been announced:

SPaSM

They have a double cd coming out. I have an advanced copy and it sounds pretty good.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!