Thread: Gil Moore on Triumph: Rock & Roll Machine Documentary

Gil Moore on Triumph: Rock & Roll Machine Documentary

I spoke with drummer/co-lead vocalist Gil Moore of Triumph recently about the band's excellent new documentary Triumph: Rock & Roll Machine, which debuted a few weeks ago at the Toronto International Film Festival. We also chatted about the band's induction into the Heavy Metal Hall of Fame, the 40th anniversary box set for Allied Forces, and other topics. One of those other topics was (selfishly) about my favorite Triumph song, "When the Lights Go Down." Interesting stuff is coming up for the band, including a "mixed reality" concept Moore is working on and a new Triumph covers album.

As always, there are multiple ways to consume this content.

Here's the newsletter story.

Podcast version can be found here.

And here's the video.

And yes, Gil is in his vehicle for the interview. He says he hears better on the sound system in there. He's lost some of his hearing and indeed is wearing hearing aids these days.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Great interview, Mike! Really curious about that tribute! I got the box set.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Great interview, Mike! Really curious about that tribute! I got the box set.
    Lucky bastard!
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    Lucky bastard!
    I jumped on it!

Just looked at Discogs. There's a sealed one for $155 with shipping.

I saw them twice back in the day. I practically learned how to play air guitar watching Rik Emmet on the "Progressions of Power" tour.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

why is he in the dark?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    why is he in the dark?
    He's in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I saw them twice back in the day. I practically learned how to play air guitar watching Rik Emmet on the "Progressions of Power" tour.
    saw them +/- 15 times from high school tours to Maple Leaf Gardens

Last time was for the PoP tour - or was it the AS one?

Anyways, will listen to the interview ASAP and hope to view the rockumentary as well.
    Any news how one can view it?

EDIT: OK; I saw the interview and I got my answer
    Last edited by Trane; 10-14-2021 at 10:19 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    saw them +/- 15 times from high school tours to Maple Leaf Gardens

Last time was for the PoP tour - or was it the AS one?

Anyways, will listen to the interview ASAP and hope to view the rockumentary as well.
    I probably mentioned this before, but the first time I saw them, I actually went to see Rick Derringer as the opening act. Unfortunately, his tour bus was stuck out of town and couldn't play. So, Triumph's stage crew, who had their own band, opened the show. They were great.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Ron, do you remember if the Triumph roadcrew band played original tunes or covers? I'm sorry you missed seeing Derringer that time, but just imagine how excited
    the roadcrew must have been to perform before a concert-sized crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Ron, do you remember if the Triumph roadcrew band played original tunes or covers? I'm sorry you missed seeing Derringer that time, but just imagine how excited
    the roadcrew must have been to perform before a concert-sized crowd!
    I don't recall recognizing any of the songs they played. They seemed like originals. I know there was a write-up in the newspaper and I found access to it online. But, it's fee-based.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Triumph was one of the bands I more or less discovered thanks to MTV. Well, actually, I think I might have seen the TV commercial for Allied Forces (remember when there used to be commercials when new records came out?) before we got cable, but I think it was seeing the clips that MTV was airing (which I think were mostly from the concert they did for MTV) that turned me into a fan. I think other than BTO, Triumph might have been the first Canadian band I really got into. I know time a new album would come out, and you'd see the videos on MTV, it was kinda exciting.

I also read Rik Emmett's Guitar Player column. I remember he did a piece on using open string drones against moving chords up and down the neck, and one of the examples he showed was the ending of Starship Trooper. I'll tell ya, after seeing him give that chord sequence, I spent about a half hour just sitting there in the rec room, with whichever guitar I had at the time (can't remember if it was the Hagstrom or the Hondo 335 copy at that point), and playing G, Eb, and C over and over again, for like a half hour.

I never got to see Triumph live (I'm sure by the time I was aware of them, they would have been playing out at the Richfield Coliseum, which was out in the middle of nowhere, in Richfield, Ohio. A pox on the frelling, magra-farbought, Kenny G fan SOB who thought that was a good place to put an arena! Mind you, even if the arena had be in downtown Cleveland, I'm not sure my dad would have been any keener on letting my 10-15 year old self see them on the Never Surrender, Thunder Seven, or Sport Of Kings tours.

I did however get to see Rik Emmett do two shows in one night, about 13 years ago, at a club here in Cleveland. I thought it was interesting, because at the time, Triumph basically didn't exist anymore, and really hadn't since the early 90's (remember when they did that one album with that other guy replacing Rik? That didn't go too well, did it?). Anyway, so Rik is talking about how Triumph had been inducted into the Canadian Music Hall Of Fame, and they were invited to this ceremony, so I guess he said he would do it, but he wanted to be on the condition that nobody brought up any of the dren that "broke up the band", which I think he implied had something to do with money, I think, which leads me to suspect that even when your band is managing itself (as Triumph were), you can sometimes still get screwed. So anyway, I guess the three of them went to this ceremony, and since they agreed they wuoldn't talk "business", everythign went well and it was nice to actually get to talk to them after something like 25 years of not doing so (I remember Rik being interviewed in Guitar Player around the time his first solo album came out, and I think he said something like "Some lawyers are gonna get rich from this mess", referring to the breakup).

So anyway, someone yells out, "REUNION!" and Rik says something to the effect of, "We'll see", and then points out that Gil hadn't been drumming at all, as he was running a PA rental company and the band's old recording studio, Metalworks, and I guess under circumstances, it becomes really hard to "get back in the saddle" as far as being able to play a show. And that's just for the drumming, remember that Gil also sang like half the songs too.

Rik told some funny stories during the two shows. There was one where he was talking about how badly opening bands get treated sometimes, by audiences. He said that this one time, Triumph were playing at a place called the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago, and April Wine was opening for them, and there was like this "snow storm" of beverage cups flying at the stage through much of April Wine's set. And Rik is like "And they were a good band, they didn't deserve that!".

Another story was about doing a show with his solo band, sometime in the 90's, I think he said in San Antonio. And there's all these "Tex Mex" people yelling out "BLINDING LIGHT SHOW! BLINDING LIGHT SHOW!" in between the songs. And Rik's liek "WTF?". He said after the fact that when their first US album came out, there was radio station down there that was playing Blinding Light Show like it was Stairway To Heaven, "like every hour, on the hour". So the next time he played San Antonio, he had came prepared, having rehearsed up an arrangement of the song with his band. So he said he gets to the point in the setlist where they were gonna do the song. He said he played the intro, and stopped, and "O! My! GAWD! The place went nuts!". He just stood there for a minute watching the crowd go wild just from the intro! Then he led the band into the rest of the song, and I guess the crowd loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not at the moment in the U.S. It's making the rounds to some film festivals and they are working on a deal for a potential theatrical release here and also a streaming deal. I would expect something will get done by early next year per what Gil said and it'll be available around the world.

Rik's solo shows were good. He did a great acoustic bit in the middle and really showed his stuff. I have a couple of recordings from back then that are really good.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Rik's solo shows were good. He did a great acoustic bit in the middle and really showed his stuff. I have a couple of recordings from back then that are really good.
    The two shows I saw were entirely acoustic, him and another guy playing acoustic guitars...well, they were playing these acoustic/electric guitars that Yamaha makes (or used to make), with the collapsible body, ya know the "travel guitar" model. I've never had the chance to see Rik play with a band.