Banned
    Off the top of my head:

Miracles out of Nowhere
    Lonely Wind
    Closet Chronicles
    The Coming Dawn (Thantopsis)
    Distant Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I saw Kansas about 5 times from 2000 to 2008. Steve never said a word. He hardly moved at all, just his arms of course.
    Odd, considering tnhe guy was making aerobics from behind his keys in the 70's.

Did he suffer from injury or illness?

I've had Kansas burnout for about 10 years or more. Absence makes the heart grow fonder I reckon.
    TBH, if I never hear Kansas (or Yes) for the +/- 20 years I've got to live, it'll be OK.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I could go 20 years without hearing COWS. I sorta went on a mini Kansas binge last night because of this thread. I heard Monolith and AV. Monolith is a great album. It's got some very proggy songs. The elephant in the room is called.....How My Soul Cries Out For You. I've always liked it. It's a little obnoxious but quirky and bizarre.

I could go 20 years without hearing COWS. I sorta went on a mini Kansas binge last night because of this thread. I heard Monolith and AV. Monolith is a great album. It's got some very proggy songs. The elephant in the room is called.....How My Soul Cries Out For You. I've always liked it. It's a little obnoxious but quirky and bizarre.
    Phil Ehart is quoted as saying that they did the "party crasher" stuff in the middle "because they could." Doesn't really mean that you SHOULD.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Phil Ehart is quoted as saying that they did the "party crasher" stuff in the middle "because they could." Doesn't really mean that you SHOULD.
    I've heard that story. The bar room brawl is just clumsy. It doesn't ruin the song. It might be part of the charm. Along with that track I love Stay Out Of Trouble.....step outside and feel the tingle........

I love all those Southern boogie songs they do. I wish they'd do them now. I mean newly written boogie rock.

I saw Kansas about 5 times from 2000 to 2008. Steve never said a word. He hardly moved at all, just his arms of course.
    I'd rather see that than Steve doing handstands wearing nothing but a pair of shorts.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I like HMSCOFY! Good vocal song. Kansas could do that trick of writing quirky vocal lines within straightforward prog/rock songs. Of course now it's my earworm for the day.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

all early stuff for me..

JFM
    SfA
    Magnum Opus
    Carry On
    Miracles
    The Wall
    Cheyenne Anthem
    Closet Chronicles
    Hopelessly Human
    The Pinnacle

boy that Leftoverture was a great album
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    The first time I saw Kansas was on the Monolith tour. When that party crasher part of How My Soul Cries Out For You came something dropped from the roof of the venue. Cannot remember what it was but I know it was an intentional part of the show. I absolutely love Angels Have Fallen, I never get tired of hearing that one. The two songs that bring me to tears are The Wall and Lonely Wind.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I'd rather see that than Steve doing handstands wearing nothing but a pair of shorts.
    The problem is that when Steve lost his energy, the band started playing much shorter sets. Those last few times I saw Kansas with Walsh, they were playing no more than 80, often 75 minutes or less. With the new lineup, they are doing 2+ hour long shows.

Been listening to Walsh’s solo album “Shadowman”. Good, heavy album with some proggy touches.

Quote Originally Posted by rushfan View Post
    The first time I saw Kansas was on the Monolith tour. When that party crasher part of How My Soul Cries Out For You came something dropped from the roof of the venue. Cannot remember what it was but I know it was an intentional part of the show. I absolutely love Angels Have Fallen, I never get tired of hearing that one. The two songs that bring me to tears are The Wall and Lonely Wind.
    If I remember right it was a dummy that fell out of the lighting rig. Then two "orderlies" came out with a stretcher and carried the dummy off the stage. I had no clue what it meant then nor do I now, but that is how I remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    The problem is that when Steve lost his energy, the band started playing much shorter sets. Those last few times I saw Kansas with Walsh, they were playing no more than 80, often 75 minutes or less. With the new lineup, they are doing 2+ hour long shows.
    I’ve seen Kansas more than twenty times and they never did more than 90 minutes when Walsh was in the band, even back in their heyday. Today’s version of the band does often do two plus hour shows, but not always. I saw them a few years ago and it was only 90 minutes with no opening act. The whole show was done before 9:00PM which was weird and a bit disappointing to be honest.

I got some!

Can I Tell You
    Song For America
    Mysteries & Mayhem
    Cheyenne Anthem
    Magnum Opus
    Hopelessly Human
    People of the South Wind
    Relentless
    Chasing Shadows
    Incident on a Bridge
    Secret Service
    Rainmaker

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I’ve seen Kansas more than twenty times and they never did more than 90 minutes when Walsh was in the band, even back in their heyday. Today’s version of the band does often do two plus hour shows, but not always. I saw them a few years ago and it was only 90 minutes with no opening act. The whole show was done before 9:00PM which was weird and a bit disappointing to be honest.
    Depends on the tour. Last time I saw them (POKR show) they played 2 hours 15-20 minutes. It was the best show I've seen from them. I'm pretty sure when I saw them for their Power tour it was close to 2 hours.

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    It's been my experience that when Kansas features a particular album the shows go 2 hours or longer. If no album is featured then the show averages around 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Depends on the tour. Last time I saw them (POKR show) they played 2 hours 15-20 minutes. It was the best show I've seen from them. I'm pretty sure when I saw them for their Power tour it was close to 2 hours.
    I saw the Power tour in Grand Rapids MI and it was 90 minutes. I remember that because the short show thing used to be a pet peeve with me and Kansas and used to time the show. Even their huge "Monolith" production, which was the biggest they ever toured with, was only 90 minutes from start to finish. They did not start doing 2 hour plus shows until after Steve left.

Quote Originally Posted by rushfan View Post
    It's been my experience that when Kansas features a particular album the shows go 2 hours or longer. If no album is featured then the show averages around 90 minutes.
    Yes, if it is a featured album show they are typically doing two hours. Unfortunately the last show I saw was apparently just a Kansas Classics tour which was only 90 minutes.

Back in the day, most bands performed 90 minute shows. Able to fit nicely on a double LP.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I too listened to a lot of Kansas in high school. Their logo was scribbled on just about all my notebooks. I just had to take a peek and I still have my original vinyl copies of Masque, Leftoverture, PoKR, TftS & Audio Visions. I had to peek because I don't often fire up the turntable anymore and truly only one of their albums stayed in my regular listening spectrum, all the way through until today and that's Monolith. The only album of theirs I went out and replaced with a cd. So my answer is really that entire album with the exception of the final track RTB, which is an easy come down from all the action on this record I suppose but nothing very memorable imo.

The bar room brawl is just clumsy. It doesn't ruin the song. It might be part of the charm.
    Absolutely love this track, doesn't feel clumsy to me, feels just like something they were really having fun playing at the time. It always seemed analogous to Release, Release from Tormato to me in that regard. The band just wrapping up side one with a rollicking track and leaving me feeling like Bring on side two!

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Well, that clears that one up. Cheers!

I have a copy of Two For The Show for completism's sake but I'm not much of a live album fellow so I don't remember ever listening to it.
    Journey is better on Two for the Show, imo. It's a bit longer with an extended middle.