Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Asia Live Box Set

New Asia Live Box Set

Coming out November 26th, the 10-CD set The Official Live Bootlegs, Volume One

What a dreadful cover. That eagle/leopard thing is Dean's work???
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    What a dreadful cover. That eagle/leopard thing is Dean's work???
    Really!!! That cover should be considered "ill-eagle"!!! It is sick...and not good "sick".
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Really!!! That cover should be considered "ill-eagle"!!! It is sick...and not good "sick".
    You win the internets for today, puns category...

It really doesn't look like an original Dean, does it? I wondered if the "original artwork from ... Roger Dean" was maybe referring only to the tree in the background.

But anyway for $99, this is a non-starter. Had they put this at a $49 price point I would have considered it.

The eons are closing
    The real worrisome matter here: "volume one"

Now - if volume 2 is Payne era set - then okay.
    But otherwise..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Couldn't they have just released the two shows from 82 and 83 as a four CD set?!

I see they keep screwing up the song "Clap" by calling it "The Clap". Hah, ha! Steve Howe must be pissed!
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 10-12-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I see they keep screwing up the song "Clap" by calling it "The Clap". Hah, ha! Steve Howe must be pisssed!
    Yeah...but at least they are consistent. Give them a round of "applause" for that...LOL.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

I like the critter on the cover, but then I like those kinds of mythological creatures.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Ok, just to set the record straight, only going by memory, all of those concerts have already been released.
    Now i will do some research.

Buffalo 1982 is a decent soundboard recording:
    https://www.amazon.com/Live-in-Buffa...3537041&sr=8-1
    https://www.amazon.com/Live-Buffalo-...3537041&sr=8-2
    https://www.amazon.com/LIVE-BUFFALO-...3537041&sr=8-3

Worcester 1983 is an appalling audience recording and it was first released as part of the Quadra boxset:
    https://www.amazon.com/Quadra-Asia/d...3537166&sr=8-1

São Paulo 2007 (actually, it's 2008):
    https://www.amazon.com/Live-Sao-Paul...3537265&sr=8-1

Tokyo 2008:
    https://www.amazon.com/Live-Tokyo-Ja...3537412&sr=8-2

London 2010:
    https://www.discogs.com/master/10456...-London-Forum-

So, nothing new.
    No need to buy it.
    Last edited by squonkduke; 10-06-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Couldn't they have just released the two shows from 82 and 83 as a four CD set?!
    But then you would only get two drum solos instead of five.

Quote Originally Posted by squonkduke View Post
    Ok, just to set the record straight, only going by memory, all of those concerts have already been released.

No need to buy it.
    Thanks for pulling up this info. Note that the blurb does call all these "previously unheard, high quality soundboard sources". So I believe them that these will all sound better than the already released versions. But still... Are 5 good-sounding Asia soundboards worth $100? Not to me.

Quote Originally Posted by squonkduke View Post
    So, nothing new.
    No need to buy it.
    To be fair, many of the ones that you linked to are out of print with used copies being sold. And if someone did want to own all of these and didn't have them already, this is actually a cheaper way to go than buying them all individually. And if it matters, you get nicer packaging and a detailed booklet with it.

This box has now been formally announced, with comments from Downes and a higher quality of that keen cover art:

“This historical collection represents some of our finest and most defining live moments,” says keyboard player Geoff Downes. “From the very first Asia tour in 1982 and the Alpha tour the following year through three of our many ‘Reunion’ shows. It was such a privilege to take Asia’s music to these different continents and feel the warmth and support from fans all over the world. We hope this brings back great memories and inspires others to appreciate the music of Asia”.

Cue much gnashing of teeth from any graphic designers. I often wonder how much input Dean has in that side of things or if he just supplies an image without much thought or planning into how all the other elements are going to work with it?

New digital 'single' off the box out today:

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    Cue much gnashing of teeth from any graphic designers. I often wonder how much input Dean has in that side of things or if he just supplies an image without much thought or planning into how all the other elements are going to work with it?
    He is 77 so I suspect not much of what appears under his name actually has been done physically by him.
    Hit that long lunar note and let it float

I actually like that cover art.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    Agree. It has seemed for years that he only supplies the painting, and the logo & graphics are done by cheap labor, and/or bad direction with strict branding guidelines.

Jeez… I know they are great players but it just always sounds soo sloppy and I think it’s all on Carl Palmer … there is nothing natural about his playing … not dissing his contributions, I just never feel like Asia or ELP sound smooth … I think Phil was right!

You know those cutesy teddy bears you see in gift shops who are wearing a bunny costume?

That's what the cover reminds me of. Like the eagle put on a leopard costume for trick and treating...

This should be pretty great. I don't have any of the boots. I saw that first tour in 1982 at the Santa Monica Civic and I really like all the reunion albums. I've watched the Zurich gig from 2010 and I think the band sounded great. John Wetton is missed.

I'm not familiar with the John Payne era. Anybody have any favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    I'm not familiar with the John Payne era. Anybody have any favorites?
    You don't miss much at all, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    He is 77 so I suspect not much of what appears under his name actually has been done physically by him.
    What????

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    What????

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    I'm not up there myself, still having a decade to go, but I know quite a few people in their late 70s and, based on that, I would say it would be unlikely (admittedly not impossible) that Roger Dean would have the manual dexterity to complete such intricate artwork as this or have the inclination to do so when he could provide the outlines and then get the footwork done elsewhere. Maybe I am wrong and I am doing him a disservice. Perhaps I mix with an unhealthy lot; or perhaps, dare I say it, I am just an ageist!
    Hit that long lunar note and let it float