Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes' Fragile: 50th Anniversary

Banned

Yes' Fragile: 50th Anniversary

"Fragile" is the fourth studio album by Yes, released on 26 November 1971. It was their first album to feature the keyboard-wizard Rick Wakeman, who replaced founding member Tony Kaye after the band had kick-off him out after touring "The Yes Album".
    An iconic album cover illustration & lettering was the band's first to be done by Roger Dean.

There was a lot of experimentation on the music scene in the year this album was released. So Yes came up with the idea to give each band member a free space and to realize themselves with their own song solo.

"Fragile" features some of the band's classics, which can still be heard today and have thus survived the stress test of the time. Above all, one of my favourite songs of the band is "South Side of the Sky". There is power in there, the song is rocking and driving and has a fantastic groove. In between, a Wakeman's piano solo that was then as now the top league. Of course, "Roundabout" is not inferior to that, because here too the melodies on the acoustic guitar and later the riffs on the electric one sit like one. Wakeman rocks the Hammond wonderfully here while Chris Squire slams his Rickenbacker around the listener's ears.

With "Long Distance Runaround" there is another song that rocks at the beginning, but then swings towards mid tempo with a monotonous rhythm.
    With fat bass lines and seemingly esoteric vocals, "The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)" is filled with an adventurous sense of mission that is so characteristic of Yes. In its heyday, the band presented itself shaped by a spiritual primordial cell from which every song approach, no matter how conventional, should develop into a progressive-symphonic happening.
    Finally a furious beginning with "Heart of the Sunrise". But it quickly goes down into deep spheres with the Mellotron and a slow bass. It's a bit psychedelic, which is not so often the case with Yes, although their amazing music is often mystical. But the mood doesn't stay that way, because here, too, Yes know how to build a very complex composition, as is so often the case. That also makes sense and doesn't just mess around.

"Fragile" is certainly a sympho-rock masterpiece, and my personal favourite studio-album by Yes. Anyway, the songs mentioned here are really great and every prog-head should own this album.

Last edited by Monet; 1 Week Ago at 05:58 AM.

Thank you for shedding some light on this mysterious and little-known album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Monetpedia.

Thank you for shedding light on Broof's mysterious and bizarre-looking shoes!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    Chris refuses to join in the discussion of whether Bill should have to go put on a shirt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Chris refuses to join in the discussion of whether Bill should have to go put on a shirt.
    Actually, it's one of the photos from Fragile the album recording sessions

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Monetpedia.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Who is this "Yes" of which you speak?

Should I have heard of them?

50th Anniversary, time for another re-mix / remaster / special box set, surely??

It's been ages since the last one.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Banned
    "Long Distance Runaround" from the concert held on May 10, 1975, at Queen's Park Rangers Stadium in London, in front of 25,000 spectators. Anderson' singing is seraphic here.

Shameful admission: I skip Cans and Brahms and Five Per Cent for Nothing.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I'm with you on Cans and Brahms......it is just 'cheap' sounding in every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Thank you for shedding light on Broof's mysterious and bizarre-looking shoes!
    At least they aren't the shoes he had written "MOON GO HOME" on (referring to his distaste for Keith Moon).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Shameful admission: I skip Cans and Brahms and Five Per Cent for Nothing.
    Brahms 4 mvt iii is a bit better but not much.

At least they aren't the shoes he had written "MOON GO HOME" on (referring to his distaste for Keith Moon).
    I didn't realize he had a distaste for Moon. Was because of his childishness? If so, I share it.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I didn't realize he had a distaste for Moon. Was because of his childishness? If so, I share it.
    I'd have to re-watch the interview with Peter Banks where he talks about it, but I recall it was along those lines, yes. Too much showmanship, perhaps.

However, Bruford said that Moon would have been the perfect drummer for the Crimson track, "Indiscipline"...
    and he wasn't being dismissive.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    In my world, Bruford and Moon are both great.

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    "Long Distance Runaround" from the concert held on May 10, 1975, at Queen's Park Rangers Stadium in London, in front of 25,000 spectators.
    Way before Unplugged was a thing. I've always wondered if this was how Jon originally brought the song to the band, but they said "Nah, that's boring. Let's spice it up."
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Heh. Two of my top ten drummers. Maybe top five.
    National Flat Earth Society: The only thing we have to fear, is sphere itself.

Bear in mind, we're talking 1968 here. Bill was just a kid, really.

Fifty years, gosh that makes me feel old. CTTE was my first Yes album, and I immediately worked backwards, it was easy when there were only four predecessors. It was the longer pieces that floored me, I always felt the solos were somewhat filler, though Mood For A Day and The Fish are both key Yes live tracks. There wasn’t much in the way of radio play over here back then, the singles charts ruled the roost, and I was a pop kid with a love for Bowie, Bolan and glam. However it was word of mouth at school that brought this album centric music to my ears, which I soon discovered were of the progressive variety.

Never warmed up to this one much. "South Side Of The Sky" is great, but the solo material really stunts any momentum, and thanks to "Classic Rock" radio, if I never hear "Roundabout" again it will be too soon.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Is this therad a jo jo reference?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Banned
    Yes feat. Chris Squire "The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)" live in Philadelphia, 1979