Thread: Diagonal - 4

Diagonal - 4

Had some positive feedback on here in the past so thought I would let folk know the 4th Diagonal album is just out.

https://diagonal.bandcamp.com/album/4

Quote Originally Posted by Apemoth View Post
    Had some positive feedback on here in the past so thought I would let folk know the 4th Diagonal album is just out.

https://diagonal.bandcamp.com/album/4
    Already ordered it in June and presently on its way. Could go to the website and download it but I think will wait for the physical copy.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Nice Canterbury vibe on this one. Also pre-ordered it in June and downloaded the rest on Friday.

Also also wik …

Downloaded my pre-order today. I’ll put it on my phone and give it a listen tomorrow.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Nice Canterbury vibe on this one. Also pre-ordered it in June and downloaded the rest on Friday.
    I sort of get that with the brass arrangements, but also get a sort of West Coast 60's Psychedelia vibe from Spinning Array. They definitely have their own sound. Fresh stuff!
    Got email black vinyl on its way - not really a fan of colored vinyl so I passed on the orange. Been listening to it on Tidal.

Gave in ... after listening to the album on bandcamp. Downloaded the files and burned them to CD-R.

Very good album. The only relatively weaker track for me is the 2nd track and, thankfully, the shortest "Chroma". Somehow it does not fit for me, squeezed between a great opening track "Amon" and the remaining three. Couple of the sung tracks (Amon and Spinning Array) remind me quite a bit of the band Wolf People ... btw, miss these guys.

So overall it is a great addition to Diagonal's discography; however, with one caveat ... the album is way too short. At least one more track around 5 to 6 minutes would have made quite a big difference and yet would easily fit onto the vinyl as well if it was a concern. Additional track in the vein of the opening track (Amon) would nicely and with a strong accent close the album. Judging by their comment on the bandcamp - "Diagonal’s fourth album clocks in at a punchy 37 minutes and will certainly be leaving listeners wanting more.", they actually anticipated this. My CD-R actually clocks it at 36:35 (without 2 seconds pauses between the tracks). As the following comment there implies perhaps we may expect a new title in a not too distant future with "a more reliable timetable" ... certainly hope so.

Straight to the top of my "to-buy" list.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It seems unlikely to be intentional, but don’t the opening notes of this album sound very much like the music at the beginning of each episode of the show “Jackass?”

^That’s “Corona” by the Minutemen, and the Minutemen are awesome.

I haven’t thought about it, but I’ll give a listen and see.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^That’s “Corona” by the Minutemen, and the Minutemen are awesome.

I haven’t thought about it, but I’ll give a listen and see.
    Thanks for that clue!:

https://www.loudersound.com/features...-mtv-interview

^Yep. Minutemen deserve a listen. Mike Watt, the bass player, is fantastic. He’s had an vast and nonstop career since D. Boon’s death. He’s even got some (sort of) prog cred:

https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.co...tions-hd-24-48

Edit: And you’re right. That opening guitar lick has a little bit of a “Corona” vibe to it.

Edit: And you’re right. That opening guitar lick has a little bit of a “Corona” vibe to it.
    Oh, I thought you were saying the song at the very beginning of the Diagonal album was Corona. Now I see what you meant. Maybe Jacob Holm-Lupo or someone can ask them for us.

Archival live album from the first line-up of the band is out.
    https://diagonal.bandcamp.com/album/roadburn-live-2008

Archival live album from the first line-up of the band is out.
    https://diagonal.bandcamp.com/album/roadburn-live-2008
    Not too long ago got my CD copy of it and just listened to it. Roadburn Live 2008 is fabulous and one could only wish it was a bit longer than 42:52 it clocks.

Following....will check out later on.

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Not too long ago got my CD copy of it and just listened to it. Roadburn Live 2008 is fabulous and one could only wish it was a bit longer than 42:52 it clocks.
    Just to add to the above. I think every fan of KC Red and before era will love this recording. It would be so great if they had made it at that time to the NEARFest. I can only imagine how wild people would get about these guys, oh well. Nonetheless, it is great a recording like this finally saw the light of day.
    Last edited by PCMusic; 07-16-2022 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Just to add to the above. I think every fan of KC Red and before era will love this recording.
    Maybe some VdGG fans, too. Lots of very Banton-like organ moments.