Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wobbler

Wobbler

Goofy name, but their most recent album is really good. Probably my most enjoyable new record since IQ Resistance. I had an early wobbler recording, now lost it appears, which I recall finding less than memorable. May need to revisit their earlier stuff.

Wobbler didn't really make an impression on me until Rites at Dawn. I own the first two albums but rarely spin them.

Curious if y'all see the last three albums lining up with particularly seasons, too?

Rites is the spring album, From Silence to Somewhere is the autumn album and Dwellers of the Deep represents winter. The art and the general sound of each album certainly create the seasonal feelings. Perhaps a summer album is forthcoming?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I like everything they've done. Automatic buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I like everything they've done. Automatic buy.
    You took the words out of my mouth (or the tips of my fingers)

Banned
    ^^^^^
    Agreed, they are something else again and I am one of the few who enjoyed the heck out of "Hinterland", their debut. But "Dwellers" just took it over the top and down the other side with some outstanding songwriting and playing.

polmico, perhaps "Hinterland" was meant to be their Summer themed album? Wait a minute, I take that back. "Imperial Winter White" is the longest and most demonstrative track on th album, so that blows that theory to bits.

Fun band with some great music. This music has a dark-ish Scandinavian vibe for me, so I get an autumn/winter vibe from their music. But its interesting to think of specific seasons with corresponding albums....that works too.

IMO Wobbler is worth checking out if only for the nostalgia factor. The last 2 especially have nailed 1973. I started early, so got in on Afterglow then sought out Hinterland. Then, I admit I had a bit of a kneejerk Starcastle syndrome when Rites came out, and I simply couldn't stomach it. But I persevered, got used to the Yesisms (especially the first half) and new vocalist, eventually warming up to it.

I'd pretty much written them off when From Silence to Somewhere finally came out. Hopefully they are starting to get prolific! I also applaud their relatively short LP length running time - whether that's intentional or that's it or lack of additional material. Too many artists for years felt the need to fill the CD with an hour plus of music. Then again, it seems the younger bands are considering vinyl once again, which helps a lot. I suppose there's an upside to kids and their new found appreciation of vinyl. Even if it means far more competition when it comes to yard sales! Maybe like muscle memory, I had spent so much of my life living in 20 minute segments so it's a perfect serving size for me.

Bought their 2017 album …. Just as good. Unfortunately Rites seems unobtanium other than MP3.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Bought their 2017 album …. Just as good. Unfortunately Rites seems unobtanium other than MP3.
    There are 4 listed on Discogs but the prices are just ridiculous. Maybe shipping for one of them is acceptable to where you are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    There are 4 listed on Discogs but the prices are just ridiculous. Maybe shipping for one of them is acceptable to where you are located.
    Found it and bought it for $45 shipped .... what the heck!

Banned
    I consider this remarkable that Wobbler's albums are difficult or impossible to find. As recently as April of this year Syn-phonic had all 5 of them in stock for a reasonable price and, thank goodness, I purchased the last three over the Spring and Summer. The only one I don't have is "Afterglow", and now it is hard to locate. What in the heck happened to their catalog? Did they quit the distribution process because they didn't need (or want) any more money or fame? Or is this the infamous "supply chain" issue raising it's ugly head. Ridiculous situation, in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I consider this remarkable that Wobbler's albums are difficult or impossible to find. As recently as April of this year Syn-phonic had all 5 of them in stock for a reasonable price and, thank goodness, I purchased the last three over the Spring and Summer. The only one I don't have is "Afterglow", and now it is hard to locate. What in the heck happened to their catalog? Did they quit the distribution process because they didn't need (or want) any more money or fame? Or is this the infamous "supply chain" issue raising it's ugly head. Ridiculous situation, in my view.
    If I were to guess, and this is only a guess, the band ran out of product on their back catalog ages ago. Middlemen had residual stock that was bought up over the past year of so on the strength of Dwellers of the Deep. Now, there's simply none left. The band *could* re-press these titles, but with the demise of the CD, they may or may not break even, even on a small run.

If you feel so strongly about this "ridiculous situation," front them a few grand so they can re-repress. I'm sure they'll pay you back from sales of the CDs. It's a no-lose proposition.

Their last two albums are quite plentiful on Amazon and Ebay.

I believe all their albums are available in multiple formats on Bandcamp including FLAC and WAV.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Their last two albums are quite plentiful on Amazon and Ebay.
    I was speaking of their first 3 albums, including "Rites" which is also discussed as being hard to find or outrageously priced in posts 8 and 9, above.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    If I were to guess, and this is only a guess, the band ran out of product on their back catalog ages ago. Middlemen had residual stock that was bought up over the past year of so on the strength of Dwellers of the Deep. Now, there's simply none left. The band *could* re-press these titles, but with the demise of the CD, they may or may not break even, even on a small run.

If you feel so strongly about this "ridiculous situation," front them a few grand so they can re-repress. I'm sure they'll pay you back from sales of the CDs. It's a no-lose proposition.

Thanks for the input. I believe that they could more than break even on a worldwide basis, based on the response to "Dwellers" and their new found success. I see your point though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    I believe all their albums are available in multiple formats on Bandcamp including FLAC and WAV.
    Thank you. I will wait to see if Syn-phonic gets in "Afterglow" in the coming weeks.

If you feel so strongly about this "ridiculous situation," front them a few grand so they can re-repress....

Sounds repressive to me.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Thanks for the input. I believe that they could more than break even on a worldwide basis, based on the response to "Dwellers" and their new found success. I see your point though.
    They have no ‘new found success’ and if they did a reprint, they would sell an additional 30-50 copies ‘worldwide’ in the first year at best, and they would not break even doing so.

If you want one, suck it up and buy a used one instead of posting nonsense and putting it on the band to make it cheaper for you to get a copy.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

That explanation sounds quite plausible to me. I'd only add that, at this point, since they can sell digital files to willing customers, the urge/desire to re-press is even less than in years past.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I would add, it's not necessarily the cost of the repress that is the biggest issue (although it's an issue), it's storing 300 copies of everything you've ever released and moving 10% of it out a year if you're lucky.

I still have almost 150 ProgDay 2001 CDs left, after nineteen years. 100 of them are in a still-sealed box, so that must be a collectors item of incalculable value.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    If you want one, suck it up and buy a used one instead of posting nonsense and putting it on the band to make it cheaper for you to get a copy.
    Or you can do what I do: check the Wobbler section of the Sunday paper tomorrow and see if there are any coupons.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They have no ‘new found success’ and if they did a reprint, they would sell an additional 30-50 copies ‘worldwide’ in the first year at best, and they would not break even doing so.

Whoops, did I assassinate your penguin, Steve F. ? Perhaps time to get off your fluffy cloud and take some Dale Carnegie courses.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    That, of course, was one of the place where I DID NOT look ….. oh well.

Whoops, did I assassinate your penguin, Steve F. ? Perhaps time to get off your fluffy cloud and take some Dale Carnegie courses.
    Naaah, he just went out of his way to be himself, once more.

Can't help himself. I guess it must be that time of the month again.vsiffle.gif
    And that usually lasts about a month long vfblblbl.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.