Thread: R.I.P. DR. LONNIE SMITH

R.I.P. DR. LONNIE SMITH

Dr. Lonnie Smith, the lauded Hammond B3 organist who was named an NEA Jazz Master, died on Tuesday at the age of 79, as NPR reports. His longtime label Blue Note Records confirmed the news.

“We’re deeply saddened to announce that Hammond B3 organ legend Dr. Lonnie Smith passed away today at 79 years old,” Blue Note Records wrote on Twitter. “Doc was one of the funkiest & most inventive organists to ever walk the earth & we were proud to bring this remarkable man’s joyous music to fans all over the world.”

While he became renowned for the Hammond B3 organ, his musical interests developed first while playing brass instruments in school as a teenager growing up in a suburb of Buffalo in the Fifties. Singing was also a forte, and he performed with his doo wop ensemble the Supremes (which predated the famous Motown group).
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Nevah hoid of 'im. I was thinking Lightning Lonnie Smith:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonnie_Smith_(boxer)

Glad he's still alive, anyway.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Dr. Lonnie.

Had a few of his releases on vinyl before I sold all my lps.
    RIP

Lonnie Smith is one of the most ridiculous musicians I have ever seen perform, and I have seen some bad mofos.

Saw him with Lou Donaldson at a small jazz club in Ann Arbor in the late 90's. Killer. I have a cool trio album of his with Abercrombie on geetar and Smitty Smith on drums playing Coltrane tunes.

I'm bummed that I never got to see him live. I did have tickets to see him three years ago, but the show was cancelled due to illness.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Great player - one of the founders of so-called “Soul Jazz”. And of course, not to be confused with the other Jazz organist Lonnie Liston Smith whose death unfortunately has been reported incorrectly following Dr Lonnie’s.
    https://www.oreanda.ru/en/kultura_i_...rticle1391087/

RIP Lonnie Smith (not to be confused with Lonnie Liston Smith, who's a year older).

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Lonnie Smith is one of the most ridiculous musicians I have ever seen perform, and I have seen some bad mofos.

Saw him with Lou Donaldson at a small jazz club in Ann Arbor in the late 90's. Killer. I have a cool trio album of his with Abercrombie on geetar and Smitty Smith on drums playing Coltrane tunes.
    A couple months ago I heard one of his songs on the radio and Iggy Pop was singing, and it wasn't bad.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I haven't listened to any of his music but I didn't know he made an album with Abercrombie, and Smitty Smith. I'll have to give that one a listen. I like Abercrombie's organ trio records with Dan Wall, and Adam Nussbaum. And his early classic, Timeless, with Jan Hammer.

Saw him live ten years ago. He was awesome. Drives and Afro-Desia are great albums.

RIP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Miles might be the birth of cool, Dr Lonnie Smith was the definition of cool.

RIP