Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TULL: Benefit (The 50th Anniversary Enhanced Edition) November 5th

TULL: Benefit (The 50th Anniversary Enhanced Edition) November 5th

benefit.jpg

Benefit (The 50th Anniversary Enhanced Edition) contains a copious amount of expanded material, building upon the 2013 Steven Wilson remixes. CD3 contains a previously unreleased Steven Wilson remix of Jethro Tull performing at Tanglewood in 1970, while DVD2 has the previously unavailable film footage of that show. Further to that, CD4 contains a newly remastered mono version of a previously unreleased concert at The Aragon Ballroom in 1970. The 100-page book, enclosed within the elegant, hardback book packaging, contains an essay from Martin Webb, who expands upon the 2013 “A Collector’s Edition” booklet notes. Following that are comments on each of the album’s tracks from, Ian Anderson, Martin Barre, Glenn Cornick and Clive Bunker, as well as interviews with Robin Black (studio engineer of Benefit and many other Jethro Tull albums), Terry Ellis (‘executive producer’ of Benefit), Joshua White who directed the 1970 Tanglewood Festival which features on DVD2, and Steven Wilson explaining the mixing of Benefit in 2013. The masses of anecdotes are surrounded by legions of images of the band and memorabilia from the era.

Benefit (The 50th Anniversary Enhanced Edition) is out on 5th November – pre-order here:

https://lnk.to/JethroTull_Benefit

Benefit (The 50th Anniversary Enhanced Edition)

Tracklisting

DISC ONE - ORIGINAL ALBUM

Steven Wilson Stereo Remixes (1-17)

1. With You There To Help Me

2. Nothing To Say

3. Alive And Well And Living In

4. Son

5. For Michael Collins, Jeffrey And Me

6. To Cry You A Song

7. A Time For Everything?

8. Inside

9. Play In Time

10. Sossity; You’re A Woman

Associated Recordings

11. Singing All Day

12. Sweet Dream

13. 17

14. Teacher (UK Single Version)

15. Teacher (US Album Version)

16. My God (Early Version)

17. Just Trying To Be

DISC TWO - ADDITIONAL ASSOCIATED RECORDINGS

Original 1969-1970 Mono Mixes

1. Singing All Day

2. Sweet Dream(UK single ‘A’ side)

3. 17 (UK single ‘B’ side)

4. The Witch’s Promise (EUR single double ‘A’ side)

5. Teacher (UK Single Version) (EUR single double ‘A’ side)

6. Teacher (US Album Version) ( US single ‘B’ side)

7. Inside (UK Single ‘A’ side)

8. Alive And Well And Living In (UK Single ‘B’ side)

9. A Time For Everything ( US single ‘B’ side)

Original 1969-1970 Stereo Mixes

10. Sweet Dream

11. 17

12. The Witch’s Promise (UK single double ‘A’ side)

13. Teacher (UK Single Version)(UK single double ‘A’ side)

14. The Witch’s Promise (US promo single ‘A’ side)

15. Teacher (US Album Version) (US promo single ‘B’ side)

1971 Stereo Remixes

16. Singing All Day

17. Sweet Dream

18. The Witch’s Promise

19. Teacher (US album Version)

Original Radio Spots

20. Benefit Radio Spot #1

21. Benefit Radio Spot #2

DISC THREE - LIVE AT TANGLEWOOD 1970

(Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)

1. Introduction And Tuning

2. Nothing Is Easy

3. My God (incl. Flute Solo)

4. With You There To Help Me / By Kind Permission Of

5. Dharma For One (incl. Drum Solo (edited))

6. We Used To Know

7. Guitar Instrumental

8. For A Thousand Mothers

DISC FOUR - LIVE AT THE ARAGON BALLROOM, CHICAGO 1970

(Mono)

1. Introduction And Tuning

2. My Sunday Feeling

3. My God (incl. Flute Solo)

4. To Cry You A Song

5. With You There To Help Me / By Kind Permission Of

6. Sossity; You’re A Woman / Reasons For Waiting

7. Nothing Is Easy

8. Dharma For One (incl. Drum Solo)

9. We Used To Know

10. Guitar Instrumental

11.For A Thousand Mothers

DVD 1

Steven Wilson’s 2013 remix of the album and 5 extra tracks in DTS

and Dolby AC 3 5.1 surround and stereo 96/24 LPCM

Flat transfers of the original UK+US LP master in 96/24 LPCM

& Additional tracks Sweet Dream, 17 & The Witch’s Promise

DVD 2

The 1970 Fillmore at Tanglewood Concert on video with Steven Wilson’s 2020 audio remix in stereo and 5.1 surround.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Inside is one of my favourite Tull tracks... I always assumed it was about being in prison.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Damn that set looks good! Video too.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Auto--F'n--Buy
    Not so sure about it. Is it not another remix of 2013 Collector's Edition remaster and remix by SW? The only real added value are the concerts there.
    Though it will be probably a good enough reason for me to get it ... then will end up with two opulent remastered versions of it on the shelf?!
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Not so sure about it. Is it not another remix of 2013 Collector's Edition remaster and remix by SW? The only real added value are the concerts there.
    Though it will be probably a good enough reason for me to get it ... then will end up with two opulent remastered versions of it on the shelf?!
    Yes it is a good enough reason to re-buy! Tanglewood was an amazing performance and the video has been floating around for about 10-15 years. Originally the audio was terrible after the first 45 minutes or so. Better versions showed up probably 5 years ago. But now the audio is straight from multitracks!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I was half expecting this one, if it showed up at all, to just be the old release in a bigger book with maybe a few added crumbs, but this looks like it's definitely going to be worthwhile.

Ah, those first 3 tracks on Benefit are sooo good. (not to take away anything from the others, such as 'For Michael Collins...'

Benefit was always my 2nd favorite Tull album, behind Thick as a Brick

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Ah, those first 3 tracks on Benefit are sooo good. (not to take away anything from the others, such as 'For Michael Collins...'

Benefit was always my 2nd favorite Tull album, behind Thick as a Brick

... and I seriously hope they will redo the TaaB as well, missed the boat the first time around. Last time I checked you would have to dish out on it a quite large chunk of money, so just got the single SW's CD remaster.
    Are there any news / rumors about this one?
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Banned

I was looking forward to this, but now... that Tanglewood setlist is only "fair" in my book, and a bunch of mono studio/concert stuff? Looks expensive, too... Maybe I'll check out Tanglewood on YouTube since it's supposed to be so good.

Banned
    I can’t believe the new SW surround remixed tracks are provided in bottom of the line, DTS and Dolby Digital. Should be a higher bit rate DTS than baseline, and DD+, at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I was half expecting this one, if it showed up at all, to just be the old release in a bigger book with maybe a few added crumbs, but this looks like it's definitely going to be worthwhile.
    For me it does seem to be the old release with a few added crumbs, but for those who disagree, enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I can’t believe the new SW surround remixed tracks are provided in bottom of the line, DTS and Dolby Digital. Should be a higher bit rate DTS than baseline, and DD+, at a minimum.
    Doesn't look like it's a new mix - the way I read it sounds like it's the 2013 5.1 mix.

I'm just glad it will match the other books. They could have added nothing new and I still would have bought it for that packaging alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Doesn't look like it's a new mix - the way I read it sounds like it's the 2013 5.1 mix.
    Yes, I just checked my collectors edition.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I was looking forward to this, but now... that Tanglewood setlist is only "fair" in my book, and a bunch of mono studio/concert stuff? Looks expensive, too... Maybe I'll check out Tanglewood on YouTube since it's supposed to be so good.
    Note that the high quality version of Tanglewood appears to have been removed from YT. Bruno has one of his nice upgrades there, with great improvements to the video, but still only ok audio. I'm guessing he also did not have the best audio to work from. But anyway... given that SW has re-mixed it I bet it will sound way better than anything on the tube.

Is it true that Ian Anderson is not very fond of this record?

I love this record.

Glen Cornick plays some truly incredible bass lines on this record. When I think of his bass lines the term 'buttery' comes to mind. Clive Bunker's ride cymbal has the perfect 'ping' timbre. Does anyone know what fuzz pedal(s) they used? I'm guessing they used Hiwatt amps but what fuzz pedals? Killer, superb fuzz guitar tones. The way they blended the acoustics with electrics is genius. The record is choked full of great guitar riffs. Seriously, young guitarists when I was growing up were fixated on learning Paranoid. WTF? These songs would have been a much better choice for a young garage band to churn through endlessly.

Maybe the main reason I love this record is that sonically it reminds me of Fragile by Yes. I'm not sure if it is the drum sound, the direct dryness of the guitars, the close vocals, or all of this. Benefit is one of those albums I can turn the lights down low and immerse myself into the sound.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Auto--F'n--Buy
    ^^^ +1
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Is it true that Ian Anderson is not very fond of this record?
    He is really quite dismissive of it in the liner notes to the previous expanded version.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Really the only appeal is the live show...but I'm not sure how much appeal it is.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Ember
    I buy these primarily for the new mixes, particularly the 5.1. Secondarily for the books. So if that content is the same, I guess I'd pass.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

I'm glad I didn't buy any of the previous reissues, that makes it a must-buy for me, to go along with the rest of them.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Banned

Tempting !

Not only my gateway to Tull but Tull's Led Zep moment IMO, not surprising in the least that MLB says that this is one of his favorite Tull releases, slapping on a pair of cans and listening to his double and triple tracked guitar work on this baby is always a guilty pleasure for me, also worthy of mention are Ian's vocal arrangements, from solo to double tracked to a chorus of Ians it's always a good listen, has stood the test of time well. I have the 2013 deal but I'll once again pay for Ian's gardener's time, a few minutes, anyway.