Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TULL: Benefit (The 50th Anniversary Enhanced Edition) November 5th

So, I am assuming that the extra tracks on the big book versions make a big book of LitP redundant?

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    So, I am assuming that the extra tracks on the big book versions make a big book of LitP redundant?
    Pretty much. Not that "redundant" is something that the Tull machine shies away from in compiling these sets: note that once you've heard the first two discs of Benefit, you will have sat through "Teacher" no fewer than seven times, not to mention four each of "Witches Promise" and "Sweet Dream." The one thing from Living in the Past that's missing from any of the book sets is the Live at Carnegie Hall side. The full Carnegie Hall concert was included on the 40th anniversary Stand Up, but was not carried over to the book set reissue. However, the Benefit book will include two versions of the "Permission" and "Dharma" routines, rendering the Carnegie versions, er, a bit redundant.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I always felt there should have been a re-release of LITP, just to have a full CD release of Carnegie Hall. Have the studio tracks on one disc (including all tracks on the UK/US versions) and the live show on two discs.

I could see them reissuing LITP as maybe a deluxe vinyl set or something. But it has indeed been made redundant from a book series standpoint by the other releases. It's kind of a shame, because although we've got all the material on there scattered among various titles, there are a lot of people who view LITP as its own legitimate album, having grown up with it that way, or simply discovering it long before bonus tracks and reissues took over.

As far as the Carnegie Hall show is concerned, I hung on to the 2010 Stand Up deluxe digipack because it contains thus far the only official release of the entire concert, which I think a lot of people don't realize (it's also a nice little set, although less exhaustive than the book series that was soon to begin).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I could see them reissuing LITP as maybe a deluxe vinyl set or something. But it has indeed been made redundant from a book series standpoint by the other releases. It's kind of a shame, because although we've got all the material on there scattered among various titles, there are a lot of people who view LITP as its own legitimate album, having grown up with it that way, or simply discovering it long before bonus tracks and reissues took over.

As far as the Carnegie Hall show is concerned, I hung on to the 2010 Stand Up deluxe digipack because it contains thus far the only official release of the entire concert, which I think a lot of people don't realize (it's also a nice little set, although less exhaustive than the book series that was soon to begin).
    Absolutely, LitP was a totally legitimate album for me (despite on track from each of the first four albums) and I till hold on the the original copy I bought it second-hand back in 75.

I also have the Stand Up digipak, and it's going nowhere, mainly because of the Carnegie thingie. I also like the fact that this reissue it's not too exhaustive. (don't care to hear 5 alt takes of each track >> it's this type of stuff that makes me avoid the Love - Forever reissue)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I remember the old Rolling Stone record guide listed LitP as the only five-star Tull album. I never liked it that much (too many oddball b-sides, and the live side doesn't do a lot for me either) but it's worth keeping for the packaging if nothing else.

Ordered. Y copy with, Burning Shed, apparently if ordered with them you get a, free fridge magnet too

Living/Past as an album is up there with any of those early classic Tull albums for me....and I prefer it to This Was by a bigg chunck. An amazing compilation that has a real flow. Side 4 of the vinyl is absolute fav.

Ordered mine. Broadsword will be awesome next year. Really hope Wilson does the last 3 albums of the 80s. He’ll have 7 years to work on them. Plenty of time lol

I have the 2013 Reissue of Benefit that has 2 CDs of Steven Wilson remixes plus the 5.1 DVD that I'm happy with and not sure if I'll buy this rehash. The only reason I see here is the live material and the BR but I would not want not have a blank space in my Jethro Tull Steven Wilson box remixes collection that so far is complete :-( and definitely won't hesitate to order the Broadsword box when it comes out :-)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My Shed preorder is in.

I feel kinda bad for the shorter Collector's Edition. I have to avert my eyes when I'm near it. Do you think it knows what's happening?

I agree, I grew up with this album and was my first big introduction to Tull after seeing them perform their singles on top of the pops in the Uk. I’m not keen on the two live tracks but love the rest.

Shipping notice Received yesterday......looks like there will be no delays!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Mine MIGHT have shipped from ImportCDs, but maybe not…

EDIT: Got the shipping confirmation email.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-04-2021 at 06:20 PM.

Nothing from Amazon.

Mines on its way from Amazon. Might even get here today.

Just got tracking info from, Burning Shed. Hoping it will arrive tomorrow.

My copy as just come, if thanks to Burning Shed. Who gave me another beer mat, also got a Benefit fridge magnet ��

Mine just arrived with fridge magnet.

Now, do I unwrap or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Now, do I unwrap or not?
    I suggest you consult with the Fondling Oracle.

Or any handy Evolved Orangutan.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Ember
    Since postage costs weaned me off of Burning Shed (thanks, LaserCD and Band Wagon), the coasters are what I miss the most.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Amazon now says November 23-December 1.

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-05 at 2.18.00 PM.jpg
    Finally found a missing tooth after "Stand Up" :-)
    My only concern is that there's no place on this shelf anymore to place forthcoming (hopefully) reissue of BATB.
    Also, I wonder if TAAB will be reissued again to fix the wrong placement of Chrysalis label :-)

I have watched the video from the DVD 2 today, it is great! It totally justifies the purchase for me.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Your poor Collector's Edition looks like it's being shunned by the rest.

I actually pre-emptively sold my 2013 Benefit set before this one had even arrived, so for a while I actually owned NO Benefit, and those were uneasy times, let me tell you.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***