Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett - Seconds Out And More (World Tour 2021/22)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    My eldest daughter and her boyfriend went to see Bring Me The Horizon two weeks ago and he has been struck down with it, though she is clear, though she is double up jabbed and has had Covid already. They are convinced it must have been from the crowd at the gig, which of course would have been in greater proximity than at Mr Hackett’s show.
    Was the concert at an arena with a large crowd?

I'm curious because I had a ticket to see Tame Impala last week in Atlanta, but at the last minute I got kinda spooked and decided not to go. It was going to be in a big arena, and the thought of being around that many people made me a bit nervous, even though I'm fully vaccinated. I've got a ticket to see Todd Rundgren later this month, but it's at a smaller venue so I'm not as nervous about it.

The venue is requiring proof of vaccination, or a negative covid test, so I'm hoping that will cut down on the risk somewhat too.

I hope your daughter's boyfriend is doing all right, and gets well soon.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Craig Blundell. The topic is the lack of the classic Roxy + Elsewhere Chester Thompson drum fill in Afterglow on the current Hackett tour.
    Now that it is well known that Chester had a fallout with Phil Collins and is not on the current Genesis tour, it would have been phenomenal that he joined Steve's band at least for this Seconds Out tour to make it more spectacular.
    Besides, he did play in Steve's band when the Tokyo tapes were recorded.

But that is only wishful thinking because I believe Chester has retired anyway.

I saw the Scunthorpe show last Thursday. Although it was a great show Nad seemed a little subdued. He sang it all really well but used to be much more animated (I compared with the Hackett Albert Hall DVD from 2014). Hope he isn't unwell. Of course he's getting older like the rest of us.

I thought the band was terrific. I didn't spot a single mistake from Roger King on keys throughout (as a keys player I watch very closely), and the drumming was fantastic. It goes without saying that SH was outstanding. One thing that struck me was how the bass playing got shared around. When the 'bass player' Jonas Reingold played acoustic guitar the bass was mostly covered by Rob Townsend, but I'm sure Roger K took it on at times.

The other slight disappointment was the audience reaction, which seemed quite subdued until near the end when most finally woke up and got to their feet. We're all older of course and there were many bald heads and a few walking sticks around. I'm interested to know if this was the experience at other shows?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Was the concert at an arena with a large crowd?

I'm curious because I had a ticket to see Tame Impala last week in Atlanta, but at the last minute I got kinda spooked and decided not to go. It was going to be in a big arena, and the thought of being around that many people made me a bit nervous, even though I'm fully vaccinated. I've got a ticket to see Todd Rundgren later this month, but it's at a smaller venue so I'm not as nervous about it.

The venue is requiring proof of vaccination, or a negative covid test, so I'm hoping that will cut down on the risk somewhat too.

I hope your daughter's boyfriend is doing all right, and gets well soon.
    Yes 10,000 plus were rocking out and I gather they were stood quite near the front and centre and close to the mosh, so it’s no surprise really.

I would go and watch Todd in a theatre setting, in fact I’m hugely envious of you, have a great gig. I last saw him in London a year or so before the plague, he was wonderful. This is how close I got...321FE1BE-1003-4B0C-B1CF-C6E7FB933B08.jpg

He’s doing ok, but suffered quite a lot for the first week. He’s up to sharing music finds over messenger, which is a good sign!

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Sheds View Post
    The other slight disappointment was the audience reaction, which seemed quite subdued until near the end when most finally woke up and got to their feet. We're all older of course and there were many bald heads and a few walking sticks around. I'm interested to know if this was the experience at other shows?
    London was very enthusiastic, quite a few standing ovation moments, certainly big moments after Firth and Suppers Ready, but everything was really well received.

Just saw the show yesterday at Poole, fantastic show and exceeded my expectations. The band was in top form and the vocals were much better than the YouTube videos that I sampled.
    Suppers ready was mind blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Just saw the show yesterday at Poole, fantastic show and exceeded my expectations. The band was in top form and the vocals were much better than the YouTube videos that I sampled.
    Suppers ready was mind blowing.
    Vocals often suffer on phone shot YouTube videos. I think its because the mics in phones only pick up certain frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Vocals often suffer on phone shot YouTube videos. I think its because the mics in phones only pick up certain frequencies.
    This might be the case, but Nad also seemed a bit tired in those clips...
    One thing I forgot to note, while older acts tend to lower the key and slow down the tempo, in the SO tour they seem to be going faster! May be it is because they have to fit this crazy amount of music in one show (they do the entire SO + about an hour of extra material) and even the songs from SO are extended (I know what I like with a guitar solo that made my jaw drop, or the intro to Firth that was not played in the original SO, to name a few).
    Though I have to admit that not all songs benefitted from the fast tempo, for example Afterglow sounds more engaging to me in the transposed down / slow version that Genesis was doing.
    Another last note on the show- it reminded me how much the sound of the twelve string guitar is characterising the early Genesis sound, it is one of these sounds that transport me to my youth when I first heard The Musical Box etc, very distinct when played live, several guitars in unison...
    20211008_211921.jpg

20211008_205655.jpg

I was lucky enough to see both Genesis shows in Newcastle then Hackett’s show in Nottingham and then the two shows by Genesis in Liverpool over five nights last week.
    As an all eras fan, I loved every night. Two friends I was with had never seen Hackett, and they were suitably impressed and would go again in a heartbeat.
    As for Ned being more subdued, I appreciated that. I feel like he’s gotten more relaxed being just himself without putting on any kind of strange character, which in his earlier shows I found distracting.
    All sounded great at the Hackett show, and I appreciated how everyone brought themselves to the show instead of doing a note for note rendition like a tribute band. (not that I don’t enjoy tribute bands!)
    back home in the states, and reading everything that’s happened since, I can’t believe how lucky we were that everything worked out so beautifully. It’s my favorite band!

Quote Originally Posted by dmh84 View Post
    I was lucky enough to see both Genesis shows in Newcastle then Hackett’s show in Nottingham and then the two shows by Genesis in Liverpool over five nights last week.
    As an all eras fan, I loved every night. Two friends I was with had never seen Hackett, and they were suitably impressed and would go again in a heartbeat.
    As for Ned being more subdued, I appreciated that. I feel like he’s gotten more relaxed being just himself without putting on any kind of strange character, which in his earlier shows I found distracting.
    All sounded great at the Hackett show, and I appreciated how everyone brought themselves to the show instead of doing a note for note rendition like a tribute band. (not that I don’t enjoy tribute bands!)
    back home in the states, and reading everything that’s happened since, I can’t believe how lucky we were that everything worked out so beautifully. It’s my favorite band!
    I'm envious! All sound fun. I'd love to see a current Hackett tour. I'm a long time fan of his solo work, but the only time I saw him was way back in 1981 at Perkins Palace in Pasadena. Shortly before I got my driver's license but it was close enough that my friends and I rode our bikes to the gig.

I loved the Genesis shows. Nic is a powerhouse and ups the band’s energy. Phil got a lot stronger and more fun every night. The tunes are great, and after one night, I got used to the lower keys, and the one major surprise track for me was fantastic every time—worth the trip alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    I'm envious! All sound fun. I'd love to see a current Hackett tour. I'm a long time fan of his solo work, but the only time I saw him was way back in 1981 at Perkins Palace in Pasadena. Shortly before I got my driver's license but it was close enough that my friends and I rode our bikes to the gig.
    Oh, that’s awesome!! Was that with Ian Mosley behind the kit?
    And did you see Phil there when they filmed his first tour??

Quote Originally Posted by dmh84 View Post
    Oh, that’s awesome!! Was that with Ian Mosley behind the kit?
    And did you see Phil there when they filmed his first tour??
    Ian Mosley and Chas Cronk made up the rhythm section and they were an improvement over the drum machine Hackett used on Cured! Only a couple of Genesis tunes that I recall, one of them being Horizons. Nice setlist from his solo albums.

I didn't see Phil unfortunately. I don't remember why now as I quite liked Face Value. Perkins wasn't the greatest sounding hall but it was close enough for biking. I saw Jon Anderson there on the Animation tour, Renaissance, and King Crimson in the early 80's. Good memories.

This might be the case, but Nad also seemed a bit tired in those clips...
    One thing I forgot to note, while older acts tend to lower the key and slow down the tempo, in the SO tour they seem to be going faster! May be it is because they have to fit this crazy amount of music in one show (they do the entire SO + about an hour of extra material) and even the songs from SO are extended (I know what I like with a guitar solo that made my jaw drop, or the intro to Firth that was not played in the original SO, to name a few).
    Though I have to admit that not all songs benefitted from the fast tempo, for example Afterglow sounds more engaging to me in the transposed down / slow version that Genesis was doing.
    Another last note on the show- it reminded me how much the sound of the twelve string guitar is characterising the early Genesis sound, it is one of these sounds that transport me to my youth when I first heard The Musical Box etc, very distinct when played live, several guitars in unison...
    20211008_211921.jpg

20211008_205655.jpg
    Cool photos !

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Cool photos !
    Thanks, here is a small clip:

Visually and aurally stunning but ... isn't it just a bit slowed-down?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Visually and aurally stunning but ... isn't it just a bit slowed-down?
    Mmmm, tempo is the same but it does seem to be scaled down.
    Am listening now to studio version overlapping, quite a disorientating experience :P
    Also drummer is playing it safe here compared to the rest of the show.
    I filmed it because it is my favorite part of Supper`s, but it definitely wasn't the best part of this rendition (which was fantastic in general)
    I was also missing the bass part here that follows the guitar part, instead here the bass player is playing rhythm guitar.
    May be this clip is more representing -

Mmmm, tempo is the same but it does seem to be scaled down.
    Am listening now to studio version overlapping, quite a disorientating experience :P
    Also drummer is playing it safe here compared to the rest of the show.
    I filmed it because it is my favorite part of Supper`s, but it definitely wasn't the best part of this rendition (which was fantastic in general)
    I was also missing the bass part here that follows the guitar part, instead here the bass player is playing rhythm guitar.
    May be this clip is more representing -

um, I don't think Craig Blundell on drums is playing it safe. He's one helluva drummer and can kick butt and odd meters in the drop of a dime.
    I love his work with Frost and as I said he's quite capable of playing anything.
    These arrangements are worked out well ahead during the rehearsal stage prior to touring.
    And Craig would not even attempt to rearrange his drum part during a show, or Steve would probably be pretty upset.
    To my ears it almost sounds like his drum kit was mixed differently, favoring the snare drum...but who knows, still a great performance by all.

Thanks for posting.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

^The drums during 9/8 are definitely simplified. Collins' original drum part is busier with unpredictable fills and on the edge playing.

^The drums during 9/8 are definitely simplified. Collins' original drum part is busier with unpredictable fills and on the edge playing.
    It's my perception that Hackett likes the drum parts from the instrumental workouts to be closer to those from the original studio recordings rather than the parts that evolved over the years in concert. This is a slight negative for me as the live drum parts are one of my favourite aspects of Genesis music. I really notice it when I don't hear things like the Zappa fill at the end of Afterglow - kudos to Nic Collins for including it in the current shows.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Thanks, here is a small clip:

Little bit of a disappointment on the drum part, simplified, but much the same as the drums on the Genesis Last Domino Tour. Not taking anything away from the drummers but there seems to be a dumbing down of the drum parts. Which goes to show just how great Phil really was, and Chester too for that matter. That wonderful wild edge is gone. Fortunately Craig can and does let loose in his other bands, as he shows in his newest(?) band, The Kite Experiment with (of course) John Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Little bit of a disappointment on the drum part, simplified, but much the same as the drums on the Genesis Last Domino Tour. Not taking anything away from the drummers but there seems to be a dumbing down of the drum parts. Which goes to show just how great Phil really was, and Chester too for that matter. That wonderful wild edge is gone. Fortunately Craig can and does let loose in his other bands, as he shows in his newest(?) band, The Kite Experiment with (of course) John Mitchell.
    Like I said, this clip is not representative to his drumming the rest of the show, he definitely had his fills.

I went back and listened to the Foxtrot version and it was much simpler than I remembered and I think Craig is playing that arrangement. I guess I was used to hearing the amazing Genesis live versions with the two drummers ;-)
    Last edited by the winter tree; 10-15-2021 at 06:59 AM.

Last edited by the winter tree; 10-15-2021 at 10:19 AM.

I went back and listened to the Foxtrot version and it was much simpler than I remembered and I think Craig is playing that arrangement. I guess I was used to hearing the amazing Genesis live versions with the two drummers ;-)
    Here is the Gary O Toole version from the Live at the Royal Albert Hall..it does sound fuller to me.
    I think you might be right, Craig is playing the original version, and as I said, it may have been what Steve was going for this time around.

Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457