Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett - Seconds Out And More (World Tour 2021/22)

Steve Hackett - Seconds Out And More (World Tour 2021/22)

That's Steve Hackett's rescheduled tour underway in the UK, and last night he stopped off at the Edinburgh Playhouse.

Quite an emotional night, not just for the obvious reasons, but also because it'd been 38 years since I'd last seen him live, and in the same venue.

Here's a blog review of last night's gig which I hope you'll find interesting:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....eptember-2021/

And people are lining up to spend a lot of money to see the Genesis Geriatric tour. This is the show all true Genesis fans should want to see.

I never saw Hackett back in the day but have seen him four times in the US since 2001. His Genesis Revisited shows have been excellent but my favorite was the Acolyte to Wolflight show with a second set of all Genesis material.

Nice review, lovely setlist -- but what's "Slogans"?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    And people are lining up to spend a lot of money to see the Genesis Geriatric tour. This is the show all true Genesis fans should want to see.
    Uhm. No. You don’t get to make that decision for me about what I “should” want to see.

Can we stop making it a Hackett-versus-Genesis thing please? Is it really necessary at this point in time?
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    That's Steve Hackett's rescheduled tour underway in the UK, and last night he stopped off at the Edinburgh Playhouse.

Quite an emotional night, not just for the obvious reasons, but also because it'd been 38 years since I'd last seen him live, and in the same venue.

Here's a blog review of last night's gig which I hope you'll find interesting:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....eptember-2021/
    Glad you got to see him again.

I would love for a live version of Squonk to show up on one of his live albums from these recent tours. The time they played it when I saw them it was a fantastic rendition of Squonk with this great, rolling momentum and energy — but it has yet to be put on any of his live CDs that I’m aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Nice review, lovely setlist -- but what's "Slogans"?
    A track from Steve’s 1980 album Defector.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Uhm. No. You don’t get to make that decision for me about what I “should” want to see.

Can we stop making it a Hackett-versus-Genesis thing please? Is it really necessary at this point in time?
    No kidding.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

At Manchester on Friday they played all of Shadow of the Heirophant and Amanda Lehman did the vocals. It was a great concert but I Know What I Like was poor it was never my favourite song anyway but they added a long saxophone solo then Steve added a bluesy guitar solo which to me didnÂ’t fit in a Genesis song. Otherwise it was good to hear lots of old favourites played well and Steve was definitely on good form

I never saw Hackett back in the day but have seen him four times in the US since 2001. His Genesis Revisited shows have been excellent but my favorite was the Acolyte to Wolflight show with a second set of all Genesis material.
    So... your first Hackett show was 2001... When was the First Genesis show? Just curious... 1986/1987? 1992? 2007? Is there not room for different opinions or the simplicity of people wanting to them now warts and all? Maybe "real" Genesis fans should see both? Yes Steve is someone "all" Genesis fans should see particularly is you did not see him with Genesis... I was lucky to have seen him with Genesis and I love his solo work. I've seen every Genesis tour since Trick and every Genesis related tour. Gabriel solo, Brand X, Phil with Plant and Clapton, Phil's Big Band tours, The Mechanics and all of Steve's solo shows that came stateside. They more than any other band are the soundtrack of my life. Sorry to say your thoughts are absurd. The 3 members of the "geriatric" tour enabled Steve to have a solo career on some level. Yes his solo stuff is great but who would know Steve without his relation to these 3 blokes and Pete. I'm old enough to remember the pre "Revisited" era Steve is enjoying. He did not exactly light the world on fire ticket sale wise pre Revisited... not a knock just a reality. I can proudly say I did not need to hear Steve go into the Genesis catalogue to pay to see him. From his first solo tour I was onboard as I was with Pete. Now this Genesis tour might be less than or even far less than what "some" fans want so I say back off and stop the criticism... find another thread, you are clearly in the minority. People are lining up and paying the crazy post pandemic prices promoters are charging to see this "geriatric" version of Genesis. I will be among those paying to see this tour... I had planned on seeing them in Ireland but covid stopped that so I will travel to the east coast of the USA to see at least two shows since a third or fourth leg may not happen. I have not missed a Genesis show since 76 and did not let the pond stop me from seeing the CAS tour! Is Phil what he once was... no but Tony Mike Daryl and Nic can play superbly and Phil will give his best and I'm ok with that and their stage design team and crew are top notch as always . That is enough for me!

Phil is a musical hero to me and if he has the balls and will to walk out there with a cane who am I or any of us to question that. My hats of to him and his band mates!
    Last edited by rich; 09-27-2021 at 02:33 AM.

The Manchester show was filmed so another video/2CD package is obviously planned (but then that was inevitable wasn't it?)
    The plus is there'll be a full Shadow.... but only a MB end section (I understand that they played the full version when AL wasn't available). I'm happy with that.
    A couple of gremlins to be ironed out in post production but it was an excellent show.
    Went to see another band in Manchester the night after... but that's for another thread

Well, THAT comment certainly won the Crass Douchebag Remark of the Year Award.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

When Genesis and Hackett both announced their tours, Hackett was gracious enough to encourage fans to see both. Perhaps we can learn to be equally gracious in our views of both tours?

I have my own thoughts about the Genesis tour, but I prefer to focus on the positives - people are enjoying both bands, and that can only be a good thing.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    #lightenUpFrancis

I have some important news. Less than an hour ago, I was hooked up to the Genesis Truefanometer. They said I got the highest number ever. As it stands, I am currently the truest Genesis fan in all of history. So, any questions about who should go to what shows and what recordings to buy should probably be directed to me.

The eons are closing
    I only like FGTR coz Silver is my fave drummer. Am I a true fan?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Saw where Nad ruffled a few feathers with his Twitter comment regarding Genesis & Hackett playing near each other. Some folks on a certain forum really got butthurt about it too.

CB15272D-E3BD-429E-B8D7-1EC1A2C941D9.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    #lightenUpFrancis
    I'm not sure if anyone gets this, but Hackett's just as "geriatric" as Mike, Tony or Phil. It's not as if he ever stopped getting older. Phil Collins' illness is tragic, and his desire that the Show Must Go On deserves a little more respect than that snarky remark gave it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I'm not sure if anyone gets this, but Hackett's just as "geriatric" as Mike, Tony or Phil. It's not as if he ever stopped getting older. Phil Collins' illness is tragic, and his desire that the Show Must Go On deserves a little more respect than that snarky remark gave it.
    Yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I have some important news. Less than an hour ago, I was hooked up to the Genesis Truefanometer. They said I got the highest number ever. As it stands, I am currently the truest Genesis fan in all of history. So, any questions about who should go to what shows and what recordings to buy should probably be directed to me.

I always wonder about the mind-workings of people that think the best way to compliment something is to insult something else in comparison. Or in this case, insult something else AND everyone who likes that something else.

So I'm an award winner! Many thanks to all that voted!

Admittedly the "all" Genesis fans should see this show was over the top and wrong. I understand that there are old timers like me who don't have an interest in this show and I get that. They are simply not the band I saw in the mid seventies or 80's... and I myself am ok with that. I just don't get bashing the fans new and old who do want to see them one last time or even for the first time or ripping the band in particular.

Wow, that's a killer setlist. Well aligned to a fan of my age. I look forward to the (inevitable) CD. Sometimes 'his' versions of these songs become my favorite. Collingswood, NJ is the closest show to me and I was too lazy to get tickets. Might have to reconsider.

Every time somebody mentions Seconds Out I get a vague sense of irritation that they never released an expanded version (though I grudgingly understand the reasons why not).
    Last edited by ca1ore; 09-27-2021 at 03:22 PM.

^^ Ah. haven't played that one in ... well, since I started listening almost exclusively to CDs. Now I'll have to fire up the turntable to here what we're talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    A track from Steve’s 1980 album Defector.
    Ah. Thank you. I haven't played that one in ... well, since I started listening almost exclusively to CDs. Now I'll have to fire up the turntable to hear what we're talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Saw where Nad ruffled a few feathers with his Twitter comment regarding Genesis & Hackett playing near each other. Some folks on a certain forum really got butthurt about it too.

CB15272D-E3BD-429E-B8D7-1EC1A2C941D9.jpg
    Doesn’t surprise me. Twitter is a cesspool of hatred and people jumping to conclusions. I don’t think Nad meant anything malicious in his comments.