Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett - Seconds Out And More (World Tour 2021/22)

I think another factor is that on cell phone mics they tend to pick up certain frequencies louder than others. On the Craig clip the snare is VERY loud and his cymbal work is barely audible. This gives a very skewed example of his playing. If you were sitting in the audience it would sound way better. I have only seen Gary perform it live. The video above of him is professionally shot. I do think he's a bit more fluid on this but they are both great drummers.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Good point about comparing cell phone vs. pro-shot sound.

Blundell's great, but Hackett should have had two drummers if he really wanted to celebrate Seconds Out properly.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Mmmm, tempo is the same but it does seem to be scaled down.
    Am listening now to studio version overlapping, quite a disorientating experience :P
    Also drummer is playing it safe here compared to the rest of the show.
    I filmed it because it is my favorite part of Supper`s, but it definitely wasn't the best part of this rendition (which was fantastic in general)
    I was also missing the bass part here that follows the guitar part, instead here the bass player is playing rhythm guitar.
    May be this clip is more representing -

Yep, that's damn fine, up there with what I saw a few years ago in LA.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Two points about the Royal Albert Hall version (aside from the very satisfying ending):

1. It's just got much better sound, largely a matter of the equipment being used, so I can hear better what the various musos are doing.
    2. Craig Blundell is a hell of a drummer, but Gary O'Toole is world-class. I have seen a number of truly great drummers -- Keith Moon, Danny Seraphine, Bill Bruford (and every Krimson drummer that followed him), Barrimore Barlowe, Phil Collins, Chester Thompson, Ron Howden, Mark Craney, Terry Bozzio, David Leach, Jerry Marotta, Simon Phillips, Kenney Jones... oh, a shit-ton more: and O'Toole has got to be one of the top five I've seen. An awesome drummer who can hold the spotlight while still serving the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Two points about the Royal Albert Hall version (aside from the very satisfying ending):

1. It's just got much better sound, largely a matter of the equipment being used, so I can hear better what the various musos are doing.
    2. Craig Blundell is a hell of a drummer, but Gary O'Toole is world-class. I have seen a number of truly great drummers -- Keith Moon, Danny Seraphine, Bill Bruford (and every Krimson drummer that followed him), Barrimore Barlowe, Phil Collins, Chester Thompson, Ron Howden, Mark Craney, Terry Bozzio, David Leach, Jerry Marotta, Simon Phillips, Kenney Jones... oh, a shit-ton more: and O'Toole has got to be one of the top five I've seen. An awesome drummer who can hold the spotlight while still serving the song.
    Gary is something else behind the kit... and a good singer as well! He did a superb job on one of my favorite Genesis tunes... Blood on the rooftops.

Great list of drummers as well. Missed one of those though, Howden... had one chance to see Nektar in 74/75 in NYC and missed it! A big regret. Love that band... I would add to your list/my list Billy Cobham, Lenny White, Steve Gadd, Jack DeJohnette, Andy Ward, Vinnie Colaiuta... too many to list but Phil with Brand X is near the top. I think that was his best work.

No Christian Vander? or is he a league of his own

Marco Minnemann? Gavin Harrison? Both are powerhouse drummers with amazing musicality & depth (witness to both in person)

No Christian Vander? or is he a league of his own
    I've never had the chance to see Magma.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Marco Minnemann? Gavin Harrison? Both are powerhouse drummers with amazing musicality & depth (witness to both in person)
    Never seen Minnemann, and Harrison would be included in 'all Krimson drummers that followed' Bruford.

Mmmm, tempo is the same but it does seem to be scaled down.
    Am listening now to studio version overlapping, quite a disorientating experience :P
    Also drummer is playing it safe here compared to the rest of the show.
    I filmed it because it is my favorite part of Supper`s, but it definitely wasn't the best part of this rendition (which was fantastic in general)
    I was also missing the bass part here that follows the guitar part, instead here the bass player is playing rhythm guitar.
    May be this clip is more representing -

I didn't miss any bass at the Scunthorpe show. Jonas Reingold and Townsend both used bass pedalboards at times, and at one point (forget which) Roger King provided the bass from the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Sheds View Post
    I didn't miss any bass at the Scunthorpe show. Jonas Reingold and Townsend both used bass pedalboards at times, and at one point (forget which) Roger King provided the bass from the keys.
    I was talking specifically about the clip I posted of Apocalypse-
    Of course during the show I did not miss any bass and also the drumming was superb, all my remarks below the clip of Apocalypse are regarding Apocalypse alone (for some reason it sounded like I was bashing Craig Blundell, and that is definitely not the case)
    For some reason I thought Rutherford was playing bass in this part but now revisiting old footage it seems like it was done exactly the same in the heyday of the band.

I was talking specifically about the clip I posted of Apocalypse-
    For some reason the Youtube clip changed from Apocalypse to Slogans/Los Endos here on the forum.
    When you first posted I replied to the Apocalypse video, and when it appeared in my comment it was the Slogans song.
    So, that may be why there is some confusion in the replies.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Thanks, here is a small clip:

Now I understand, this is the original clip I was referring to, then I answered with another clip of Slogans which I found (a little) more representative of the show.
    Suffice to say, I found the show fantastic and was pleasantly surprised as I already seen Hackett before and as much as the previous show was good, this one was even better in every aspect! Energy, renditions and of course the killer setlist (would have loved to see the wind and wuthering tour, alas I am not from Europe)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My 2CD/2DV from this tour shipped from Laser’s Edge. More live Hackett - at last!

Mystified that you haven’t mentioned Jon Hiseman.

Is there any synth on the Seconds Out & More version of "Supper's Ready"? The studio version didn't have any since Tony didn't own any synths (other than bass pedals) at the time. However, every live version by Genesis I've heard has synth, including the original Seconds Out version, which features the ARP Pro Soloist.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    Is there any synth on the Seconds Out & More version of "Supper's Ready"? The studio version didn't have any since Tony didn't own any synths (other than bass pedals) at the time. However, every live version by Genesis I've heard has synth, including the original Seconds Out version, which features the ARP Pro Soloist.
    If you are referring to the section before 'Apocalypse in 9/8' where Peter's flute was replaced by the synth on 'Seconds Out', the latest live version from Hackett retains the original 'Foxtrot' flute and not the post-Gabriel synth.

^^^^^^^^^

I'm thinking of the section that begins with "Waiting for battle."

^^^^^^^^^

I'm thinking of the section that begins with "Waiting for battle."
    I'm only hearing organ, mellotron and bass-pedal sounds, and flute, so faithful to 'Foxtrot' and not 'Seconds Out'.
    I guess SH decided to stick to the arrangement he has used these past years, and not re-arrange to the 1977 version.

A few of those tunes on the new Seconds Out were transposed down, which is always a problem with us "lucky" bastards with perfect pitch. It makes them unlistenable, really. The entire Selling England gig was in the correct keys though, thankfully. It's a curse!

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    I'm only hearing organ, mellotron and bass-pedal sounds, and flute, so faithful to 'Foxtrot' and not 'Seconds Out'.
    I guess SH decided to stick to the arrangement he has used these past years, and not re-arrange to the 1977 version.
    Okay, thanks for the info.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    Right, and compare how Cinema Show was performed. Using the SEBTP arrangement, not the SO arrangement.

On some of Hackett's other recent live albums, the soprano sax takes some of the synth lines from the studio recordings. I'm not a soprano sax fan, so this didn't sit right with me. I imagine there is some of this on the new album.

On some of Hackett's other recent live albums, the soprano sax takes some of the synth lines from the studio recordings. I'm not a soprano sax fan, so this didn't sit right with me. I imagine there is some of this on the new album.
    Yeah, they do this with "Squonk" and I don't particularly care for that arrangement. Nothing against the sax, but I prefer the main melody in that tune to be on the synth. Just sounds better for that song IMO.

The version of Squonk they played when I saw them in 2014 was incredible -- slightly more uptempo and with a great "rolling" sort of energy. So I was hoping it would be similar on the Seconds Out and More release, but it's not really.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I'm with ya...soprano sax is not my jam either. It's the one aspect of the current Hackett stuff that I don't care for. Other than that the band is stellar imo.