Thread: Interview With Ray Wilson (Genesis)

Interview With Ray Wilson (Genesis)

Hey guys (and gals),

I had the pleasure of sitting down with Ray Wilson yesterday morning to discuss his new album, his early music roots, his time in Genesis (including the audition, the tour, being in the studio with Mike and Tony), Stiltskin, and his upcoming tour. There was a lot of interesting information he mentioned that I didn't know prior to this interview. I thought some of you may enjoy seeing it:

Looks cool thanks for posting ! I love Ray’s music and look forward to watching this .

Same here! Going to check this out as soon as I get a chance!

Thanks for posting this.
    In light of all the interest in Genesis right now, it's nice to fill in some of the question marks about Ray's time with Genesis as vocalist/writer on CAS.
    And his thoughts about the music, touring and camaraderie within the band.
    We can always imagine...what if, but I think in the end it worked out for everyone, including the fans of Genesis and Ray.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Thanks for posting this.
    In light of all the interest in Genesis right now, it's nice to fill in some of the question marks about Ray's time with Genesis as vocalist/writer on CAS.
    And his thoughts about the music, touring and camaraderie within the band.
    We can always imagine...what if, but I think in the end it worked out for everyone, including the fans of Genesis and Ray.
    Thanks for watching!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting! I'll check it out.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I enjoyed that interview, thanks for sharing.
    I agree with everything he said about CAS (the most promising songs, Tony Banks' choice of sounds, etc) and I'm still a bit frustrated about the way it ended.
    I like his honesty and simplicity.

I'm glad he realizes how good "One Man's Fool" is because it's honestly one I go back to again and again.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I'm glad he realizes how good "One Man's Fool" is because it's honestly one I go back to again and again.
    It's really underrated and a powerful song. I get rather shocked when I hear that even Genesis fans who are okay with their 80s material don't like it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    It's really underrated and a powerful song. I get rather shocked when I hear that even Genesis fans who are okay with their 80s material don't like it.
    Maybe a lack-of-Phil bias. I don't know. To my ear, it's a strong song, sung extremely well by Wilson. I would even say that his vocal stand out as the best thing about this song.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    That is surprising. I think "One Man's Fool" is a great song, and the latter half of the song nearly reaches classic Genesis levels for me. Ray's vocal delivery on that track is outstanding too.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I think "One Man's Fool" is a great song, and the latter half of the song nearly reaches classic Genesis levels for me.
    Me too. I think that's the pinnacle moment of the album, that closing section of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by pianomankd View Post
    Me too. I think that's the pinnacle moment of the album, that closing section of the song.
    Totally agreed. It's one of those "spine-tingling" Genesis moments for me; recaptures some of the old magic.

I'm gonna go put it on right now.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

You actually have to wonder why they didn't play it live on the Ray tour. The adrenalin for that closing section would have been through the roof.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I'm glad to see all the love for One Man's Fool! I've loved this song for years and feel its as good as any period of the band. I was always puzzled that this song was seldom mentioned in reviews or discussions about CAS.

With the title track, Alien Afternoon, The Dividing Line, There must Be Some Other Way and One Man's Fool, you have almost 40 minutes of fine Genesis music.
    (OK, the first half of AA isn't great, but the intro and the second part make up for that Imho.)

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    With the title track, Alien Afternoon, The Dividing Line, There must Be Some Other Way and One Man's Fool, you have almost 40 minutes of fine Genesis music.
    (OK, the first half of AA isn't great, but the intro and the second part make up for that Imho.)
    I agree, and I would add "Not About Us" to your list. I think they should have at least trimmed off "Small Talk", "Uncertain Weather", "If That's What you need" , and "Shipwrecked".
    Also some better endings as opposed to all those fade outs ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Also some better endings as opposed to all those fade outs ;-)
    I've seen this said often and it's not wrong at all. I will say that it's almost as if they went back to the ATTWT model for a transitional album. Bring whatever ideas, maybe not fully finished ones, and see if they can do something new. In all honesty, if they'd stuck to a smaller scale tour and had some success with it, I would have loved to hear a second album from this version of Genesis.

Really enjoyed the interview. Thanks for posting!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

To me the best song on CAS is Uncertain Weather.
    It's the last one of the epics from Tony Banks, in the vein of Heathaze, Me and Sarah Jane, Undertow and Afterglow, and i wonder how wonderful could it have been developed if played by the classic trio line-up, expecially for Phil Collins' vocal delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by squonkduke View Post
    It's the last one of the epics from Tony Banks, in the vein of Heathaze, Me and Sarah Jane, Undertow and Afterglow, and i wonder how wonderful could it have been developed if played by the classic trio line-up, expecially for Phil Collins' vocal delivery.
    I don't know this for 100% certain but when the album first surfaced I thought that was one that came from Rutherford rather than Banks. But I think it's a lovely song too, and it's hard to imagine PC doing half as good a job with a line like "leaving no trace" like Wilson did. IMHO.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by pianomankd View Post
    I never thought of One Man's Fool as the pinnacle of the album because it has no solo or instrumental section. The Dividing Line and There Must Be Some Other Way are much better IMO and worked very well live.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    it's hard to imagine PC doing half as good a job with a line like "leaving no trace" like Wilson did. IMHO.
    Agreed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by squonkduke View Post
    Absolutely! Definitely "Undertow" and "Snowbound" vibes there. Such a majestic chorus.