Thread: Saw Myles Kennedy / Tyler Bryant - Graham Whitford Monday Night (Spoilers)

Saw Myles Kennedy / Tyler Bryant - Graham Whitford Monday Night (Spoilers)

I caught Myles Kennedy with opener Tyler Bryant at The Machine Shop in Flint Michigan on Monday night. This was my first time ever being to this venue and I was impressed. It is a typical rock club, but has a great stage / sound, plenty of room, good ventilation, an outdoor patio area, and a good beer selection. If I lived closer I would be at this place all the time.

Bryant opened the show with just sidekick Graham Whitford and not the full Shakedown band as the drummer had just had a child and is currently off the road. Even without the full band Bryant and Whitford put on a highly energetic set of rocking blues. Bryant is only 30 years old but started performing when he was 14 so is a seasoned pro who knows how to work a crowd. His guitar playing is amazing, but he also allowed Whitford plenty of room to shine on guitar as well. I find it hard to believe these guys have never gotten bigger than they have, but they seem to remain a perennial opening act. The set was only about 30 minutes which was way to short, but they made the most of the time they had.

Kennedy came on next along with a drums and bass. Kennedy is best known for being the lead vocalist for Alter Bridge and for Slash’s Conspirators band. Having just released his 2nd solo album, Kennedy is really finding his footing outside of the band setting and both of his albums are very good. Without another guitarist in the band Monday night Kennedy was able to show off his chops playing about a dozen different guitars over the course the night. Of course, Kennedy is one of the best vocalists out there right now, and his voice was flawless the entire evening. He has astonishing vocal range, and hearing him sing you know why Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones picked him out for the tour that never happened. He performed an acoustic version of “Starlight” that literally made the hairs on my arms stand up when he hit the high notes of the final chorus. Kennedy mostly focused on his solo albums in the set, but also did a few Alter Bridge and Slash numbers All in all it was an amazing night of music with two great bands. Here are the set lists:

TYLER BYRAN / GRAHM WHITFORD:

PRESSURE
    TENNESEE
    BORN ROCKIN’
    LIKE THE OLD ME
    THAT’S ALL RIGHT
    LIPSTICK WONDER WOMAN

MYLES KENNEDY

WAKE ME WHEN IT’S OVER
    A THOUSAND WORDS
    DEVIL ON THE WALL
    TURNING STONES
    HAUNTED BY DESIGN
    STARLIGHT (ACOUSTIC SOLO)
    ALL ENDS WELL (ACOUSTIC SOLO)
    BLIND FAITH
    THE GREAT BEYOND
    YEAR OF THE TIGER
    TELL IT LIKE IT IS
    MOONSHOT
    LOVE CAN ONLY HEAL
    GET ALONG
    WORLD ON FIRE INSTRIDE

ENCORE:

WORRIED MIND

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Kennedy is best known for being the lead vocalist for Alter Bridge and for Slash’s Conspirators band.
    ...and being picked out of the crowd at that Steel Dragon concert!

Sounds like a cool show and venue!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    ...and being picked out of the crowd at that Steel Dragon concert!

Sounds like a cool show and venue!
    Yup, and he is the only person who's actual singing voice was used in the movie. I think that was pre-Alter Bridge and he was still a member of The Mayfield Four at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yup, and he is the only person who's actual singing voice was used in the movie.
    Yea....Jeff Scott Soto was the voice of Bobby Beers - he still sings "Stand Up and Shout" at all of his shows. And that singer from Steelheart (who has a fantastic voice imho) was the voice of Mark Wahlberg's character. Still a fun movie that I enjoy catching when its on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Yea....Jeff Scott Soto was the voice of Bobby Beers - he still sings "Stand Up and Shout" at all of his shows. And that singer from Steelheart (who has a fantastic voice imho) was the voice of Mark Wahlberg's character. Still a fun movie that I enjoy catching when its on.
    I am not totally sure on this, but I think Kalamazoo homeboy Brian Vander Ark, lead singer / songwriter for The Verve Pipe did the singing for Wahleberg's acoustic thing at the end. I know he wrote the song and sang it on the movie soundtrack, but not sure if he was the voice in the actual movie. Vander Ark appeared in the film as the bass player for Blood Pollution.